• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

C2C disruption - evening of 28h January 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

swadbus

Plenty of cancellations this evening across the c2c route due to "driver illness" since 2100hrs to end of service. Appears from what is showing on social media that this involves more than a couple of drivers "falling ill".

Social media suggesting it may be pre-planned unofficial action by staff.

From a personal perspective, the new timetable has been a disaster with too few trains to run the services at an appropriate length.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chris11256

According to c2c 14 out of its 150 drivers were ill at the same time.

Last edited:

racyrich

Yes, I and the other half had the misfortune to be on that 22.49. As we went through the barriers at Fen St they were ushering passengers off the rear unit as the train was split from an 8 to a 4. I assumed it was because of a fault. I can't really see how a driver shortage cases a short train.
It was pretty hideous onboard.

pemma

Veteran Member
Huffington Post said:
Passengers on board overcrowded trains from London to Essex ended up wetting themselves on seats after a series of delayed trains saw late night services rammed with commuters.

The trains from Liverpool Street and Fenchurch Street, run by train operator c2c, were delayed or cancelled on Thursday evening due to crew members being ill, meaning trains from around 7.30pm were as crowded as rush-hour ones.

Around a dozens services are understood to have been cancelled while others ran with fewer carriages.

One commuter on the 10.49pm from Fenchurch Street to Shoeburyness said two men in business suits could not reach the toilets because of the onboard crush and could not hold it in.

“When I managed to board it was mayhem. One man by the doors was trying to get through the crush but kept being pushed back, people couldn’t move to let him through. In the end he just couldn’t hold it, Hannah Fisher told The Evening Standard.

“Another chap in a seat got up and tried squeezing past but he couldn’t move. When he left that the man next to him said ‘well those trousers will be going to the dry cleaners tomorrow’."

Passenger Daniel Capps said his train was so crowded he had to stand all the way to Leigh-On-Sea, Essex at around 11.45pm.

People at Fenchurch Street also complained of a lack information or announcements as the chaos unfolded.

Train operator c2c said the crush was due to crew members falling ill and denied rumours among passengers that there had been a walkout.

A c2c spokesman told HuffPost UK: "We are very sorry for the disruption caused to our passengers last night, when there was a short-term increase in drivers unable to work because of sickness. We used our contingency drivers to ensure we still ran the last trains and got everyone home."

The company tweeted this morning saying 96% of its trains were on time on Thursday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...eet_n_9109930.html?ncid=fcbklnkukhpmg00000001

They also put out a badly worded tweet:

c2c said:
Due to the driver being taken, the 19:56 Shoeburyness - Fenchurch St has been cancelled this evening.

Although, there is a rumour of an unofficial strike and c2c making up the sickness story.

Last edited by a moderator:

Muzer

Established Member
What's exactly the problem with the new timetable? How have they managed to make so many trains (apparently) too short? Is it more intensive usage during the peaks meaning there aren't now enough trains for the off-peaks any more because they have to be in maintenance more or something?

chris11256

What's exactly the problem with the new timetable? How have they managed to make so many trains (apparently) too short? Is it more intensive usage during the peaks meaning there aren't now enough trains for the off-peaks any more because they have to be in maintenance more or something?

The general gist is that they're running more services, but with the same number of trains. So there's more 4 carriage peak services. Off-peak most services are 4 carriages anyway.

Muzer

Established Member
I was under the impression that the main complaint was about the late evening services, which is surely long enough (on this short line) after the peak time that they'd be able to get all the stock back in place for sensible-length off-peak services?

racyrich

The problem with the new timetable is it attempts to put more trains on in the morning by moving the Laindon starters to start from Leigh. That extra 30 min round trip means more stock is required, but there isn't any, so some 8s were cut to 4. To mitigate that a couple of starters were moved back to Laindon; meanwhile they monitored the loadings to decide where use of 4s caused least overcrowding. To give Laindon and West Horndon boarders more hope of a seat they also made some of the semi-fasts all stoppers, adding 6 mins to the journey.
The other issue was initially that all trains stopped at both Barking and West Ham, with the inevitable result that no one uses the District between there anymore and the mainline trains are chokka between those points. This has also been slightly mitigated by cutting one or other stop off a few trains.

Personally, I've had to change my journey in to get an earlier train because of the extra 6 mins. Arriving before 9am now means a train which is seriously popular - I can just get a seat at Basildon, no one after gets one.
Going home my usual train now takes 8 mins longer as an all-stopper but I can get a new one 2 mins earlier - that is absolutely chokka too, full and standing on leaving Fen St with loads more piling in at Limehouse and West Ham.

Basically many 100s of 1000s more people now live along the catchment area of the line compared to even 10 years ago, with the crush in London also forcing more to live out in eastern Essex, plus there is the new attraction of Stratford and the ever-expanding Canary Wharf. The railway can't keep up.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Although info not explicitly clear on another Forum, there could have been a walkout due to a driver being removed from duty due to stopping at the wrong board for the number of carriages on the train.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Why aren't they acquiring more rolling stock? Surely things cannot get more simple than 4 car EMUs? Is it the fact that fares are generally quite low on the c2c network?

Status
Not open for further replies.