• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cab Interiors- Class 23 and Class 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Perhaps a blast from the past, but I’ve always been curious to know what the cab interiors of these two classes looked like. Am I right in thinking that a Class 23 (Baby Deltic) cab looked similar to that of a Class 40, or any other vacuum-braked English Electric Class with a bonnet (I.e. classes 37 and 55 when new)? Does anyone have a photo of one? I’m struggling to find one online. Can anyone who signed Class 23s back in the day shed any light?

As to what a Class 29 cab looked like, I’ve no idea and can’t find any photos either. Can any Scottish Region crews from the late ‘60s who happen to be on here describe one, or does anyone have a photo?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrEd

Take a look here...

Admittedly not quite class 29 but the top one surely didn't change too much after re-engining.
Brilliant, thank you! I’m sure it’s probably quite similar to the Class 21 cab. Looks from the brake valves like they had Davies and Metcalfe brakes, and a GEC power controller (with electromagnetic control system)?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Brilliant, thank you! I’m sure it’s probably quite similar to the Class 21 cab. Looks from the brake valves like they had Davies and Metcalfe brakes, and a GEC power controller (with electromagnetic control system)?

Your eyesight is obviously better than mine ;) The class 22 image is very good quality though; I'm surprised at how different the diesel hydraulic version is in comparison, it also seems to be finished to a much higher quality than the 21 layout then again that could be just down to the rather low res picture?

Rare pictures

The Class 21 would have GEC electrics
The Class 22 would have BrownBoveri electrics to MU with the Warships

Journeyman

Established Member
Worth bearing in mind that the Class 21 to 29 rebuild also involved - apart from the first one - removing the cab front gangway, and replacing it with a centrally mounted headcode panel. So...might have been some internal changes where the door is shown in the pics.

delt1c

Established Member
Worth bearing in mind that the Class 21 to 29 rebuild also involved - apart from the first one - removing the cab front gangway, and replacing it with a centrally mounted headcode panel. So...might have been some internal changes where the door is shown in the pics.
Probably minor changes , 26 and 27 had the gangways removed but most retained the access door in the cab

Status
Not open for further replies.