• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cabinet rail misery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eisenach

I haven't seen this interesting snippet mentioned anywhere: apologies if it has. It was posted on Twitter by someone called Steven Swinford:

Steven Swinford‏Compte certifié @Steven_Swinford

"Cabinet rail misery update: Their journey back from Newcastle yesterday, which should have taken just under three hours, took SIX HOURS. Train pulled in just after 9pm. And if anyone's asking Liam Fox, David Gauke, Liz Truss and Penny Mordaunt were all in standard class seats"

... and copied on the BBC's Business live page, which can be found here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-44923124?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5b56e9cca081040678933437&Cabinet rail misery&&ns_fee=0#post_5b56e9cca081040678933437

Maybe we can expect even more investment in the East Coast, now! May did, apparently, promise that the planned and delayed infrastructure upgrades would go ahead.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Weren't yesterday's ECML delays caused by a lineside fire between York and Doncaster? I'm not sure how greater investment in the infrastructure would prevent that kind of occurence.

Weren't yesterday's ECML delays caused by a lineside fire between York and Doncaster? I'm not sure how greater investment in the infrastructure would prevent that kind of occurence.
They should take the Australian appraoch! I distinctly remember being on a train in the outback and the guard saying over the PA words to the effect of: "Please don't be alarmed if you notice some flames or smoke nearby, we're just passing through a small bush-fire". Sure enough, the train ploughed on with the flames lapping at the track. I suppose there's a risk that the tracks could buckle, but it's probably safer than stopping I imagine?

B&I

Established Member
Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of people

PhilipW

If only Grayling had not cancelled/paused the electrification between York and Leeds then there would have been an electrified diversionary route for their train to take.

I hope they take their displeasure out on Grayling.

Status
Not open for further replies.