• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cabviews side by side comparison from Greece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demosthenes

Here is my first video attempt "The Trains of History" from the greek railways. I compare two cabviews side by side, left from 1997 & right from 2019. I 've tried to synchronize metre by metre the views and I think I 've made it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Here is my first video attempt "The Trains of History" from the greek railways. I compare two cabviews side by side, left from 1997 & right from 2019. I 've tried to synchronize metre by metre the views and I think I 've made it!

Which route from Athens? The Thessaloniki mainline?

Demosthenes

That's right. The original video is from german TV series Die Schönsten Bahnstrecken Europas (Europe's Most Beautiful Railways)

davetheguard

Established Member
Thanks Demosthenes, that must have been quite difficult to synchronize!

I last travelled on the route back in 2014, from Larissa station in Athens to Chalkis unexpectedly having to change at the junction station of Inoi from a DMU on the main line to an EMU on the branch line. Is work on the electrification of the main line now complete, and the trains being electrically worked?

hexagon789

Veteran Member

I last travelled on the route back in 2014, from Larissa station in Athens to Chalkis unexpectedly having to change at the junction station of Inoi from a DMU on the main line to an EMU on the branch line. Is work on the electrification of the main line now complete, and the trains being electrically worked?

I believe the Athens-Thessaloniki mainline has been electrically worked for some years now with 200km/h locos and air-conditioned coaches which replaced the IC Diesel unit sets which now seem to run on many cross-country branches rather than InterCity routes.

Ian99

Impressive synchronisation, well done.

Interesting where there has been a new tunnel built but looks like it follows the line on the old route. I wonder why it was built and I wonder what is now on top of it.

Midnight Sun

Was steam still in use on the mainline in 1997? Steam loco on right hand track 9.26

Richard Scott

Established Member

Definitely electric - did the route throughout in August last year and was class 120 locos throughout on hauled stock.

Demosthenes

It's quite difficult for someone unexperienced in editing software but I am a videographer so it isn't so much difficult for me, but this takes time and it needs patience. I would like to synchronize routes from all over the world but it's hard to find old and new footage from the same route.

From May 2019 the new double main line Athens - Thessaloniki is fully electrified and Athens - Chalkis too. No Brallos pass, many new bridges, tunnels (9 Km the longest!). 500Km in about 4h planed to be in 3h20m. Next autumn the first converted ETR470 from Italy is expected especially for Athens - Thessaloniki.

Last edited:

Demosthenes

Impressive synchronisation, well done.

Interesting where there has been a new tunnel built but looks like it follows the line on the old route. I wonder why it was built and I wonder what is now on top of it.
Thank you!
There are now two double tunnels about 2Km, one for the main line bypasses stops and the other for the suburban railway. It looks like this overground
P1013413.jpg
Recently the undergrouding with cut & cover method with a similar tunnel 1.9Km long, established from Athens Central station up to National highway bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.