• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cactus' UK & European rail travels

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
These Stations are annoying... 15/11/17

EMT serve a lot of Awkward stations, with different difficulty levels. The stations I was trying to get were of a medium level. Where they are only served by a select few trains a day.

I worked out I could score 4 (Rolleston, Bleasby, Thurgarton & Burton Joyce) of these stations using the 1439 Newark to Matlock service.

I was originally going to do this on Saturday, but I changed my mind at the very last minute.

I caught the 1226 stopper from Leicester formed of winner 156498. I chose the stopper because I wouldn't have a tedious wait at Nottingham.

IMG_20171115_122354 by litecactus, on Flickr

The journey was quite slow. I do like the EMT 156s, they have my 2nd favourite type of seat, and the train was mostly clean and tidy.

IMG_20171115_122643 by litecactus, on Flickr

After a 15 minute dwell at Nottingham the train proceeded through mostly flat countryside, with a non stop run to Newark Castle.

IMG_20171115_135142 by litecactus, on Flickr

I had a 50 minute fester here, so I had a walk round town. Newark is very quaint and it reminds me of Ludlow, but a bit flatter.

I had a walk round the Castle aswell.

IMG_20171115_141915 by litecactus, on Flickr

I headed back to the station to get winner 156470 on the Matlock stopper.

IMG_20171115_143337 by litecactus, on Flickr

I can see why some of the shacks recieve a poor service, they appear to only serve very small settlements

Anyway I arrived back in Nottingham on time, and headed for the 1530 HST back to Leicester
Luckily it was formed of winners 43047 & 43048

IMG_20171115_151453 by litecactus, on Flick

IMG_20171115_151716 by litecactus, on Flickr

IMG_20171115_152022 by litecactus, on Flickr

Which means that my EMT HST requirements are now in the single figures (only 8 left!)

I think the Skeggy line shacks will require a lot of creative thinking!

Congratulations on a day of all winners! I just wish I could stop getting so many duds on the GWML!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
I think the Skeggy line shacks will require a lot of creative thinking

Or an overnight stay in Skeggy to catch the first Nottingham service of the day which is the only one which calls at all the tiny stations towards Grantham

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Looks like a successful day trip although I definitely would've gone for the HST at Leicester and done a few trams while in Nottingham.

cactustwirly

Established Member
So I want to do a trip in December, I can't decide what to do.
Option A is Essex, to clear the Braintree, Clacton & Walton branches
Option B is a Hastings circular, ie London - Ashford - Hastings - Lewes - London via Haywards Heath

What do you guys think?
I'm leaning towards B because I need more track in Kent/Sussex and it looks more scenic.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Nottingham 25/11/17

This isn't really a trip as such, one of my other interests other than trains is visiting new places.
So I decided to go to Nottingham today, not for the trians or trams, but to have a look round the city.
My parents used to live in Nottingham, so I was curious to see what it was like (they don't really have anything good to say about it)

I caught the delayed (due to a broken rail in the Leicester area) 1325 HST to Nottingham, formed of winner 43076 and dud 43045

IMG_20171125_133803 by litecactus, on Flickr

IMG_20171125_141031 by litecactus, on Flickr

I arrived in Nottingham and had a mooch round, Nottingham is ok. It's much better than cities such as Sunderland, Swansea, Brum, Wolves, Wakefield etc.
However I still think Leicester is nicer, and I still think that Gloucester, Worcester and Hereford, are the nicest cities that I've visited.

Anyway I came back to the station intending to get the 1532 HST home, however the departure board showed it as being diverted via Corby (because of the earlier track failure), so it wouldn't be stopping at Leicester.

So I was sort of forced into getting the Ivanhoe stopper home! :rolleyes: I suppose the silver lining is that it was formed of winners 153313 & 153381

IMG_20171125_151836
by litecactus, on Flickr

I looked on RTT later and was very annoyed to find out that the HST actually went via Leicester. So I'd just wasted 25 minutes on a crappy 153.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Nottingham 25/11/17

This isn't really a trip as such, one of my other interests other than trains is visiting new places.
So I decided to go to Nottingham today, not for the trians or trams, but to have a look round the city.
My parents used to live in Nottingham, so I was curious to see what it was like (they don't really have anything good to say about it)

I caught the delayed (due to a broken rail in the Leicester area) 1325 HST to Nottingham, formed of winner 43076 and dud 43045

IMG_20171125_133803 by litecactus, on Flickr

IMG_20171125_141031 by litecactus, on Flickr

I arrived in Nottingham and had a mooch round, Nottingham is ok. It's much better than cities such as Sunderland, Swansea, Brum, Wolves, Wakefield etc.
However I still think Leicester is nicer, and I still think that Gloucester, Worcester and Hereford, are the nicest cities that I've visited.

Anyway I came back to the station intending to get the 1532 HST home, however the departure board showed it as being diverted via Corby (because of the earlier track failure), so it wouldn't be stopping at Leicester.

So I was sort of forced into getting the Ivanhoe stopper home! :rolleyes: I suppose the silver lining is that it was formed of winners 153313 & 153381

IMG_20171125_151836
by litecactus, on Flickr

I looked on RTT later and was very annoyed to find out that the HST actually went via Leicester. So I'd just wasted 25 minutes on a crappy 153.
Our 24 year old twins studied at Nottingham University and said Nottingham was a really good night out.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I wonder.

Do you prefer the rail variety in Leicester or Twyford?

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What are the chances of there being two Cactuswirlys..?
Someone’s trying to steal your identity young man... :lol:

My mum (sadly no longer with us) was from Nottingham as well as my grandparents and many other relations, I have many great memories of the city and cabbed my first loco there in about 1978 (a class 47).
What I loved about it was ‘Beatties’ the huge model shop and the fact that it was so big and industrial compared to where we lived in the south west.
Enjoyed reading about it cw.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Braving the Snow 10/12/17

Since this is my last weekend in Leicester before Christmas, I decided to get my last HST fix of the year with another mini bash to Loughborough to hopefully get some more winner powercars.

I walked to the station, in the heavy snow, which was very cold and treacherous.
I caught duds 43081 and 43089 to Loughborough.

IMG_20171210_114328 by litecactus, on Flickr

Although it was busy, I found a nice airline seat in Coach A. I really enjoyed this part of the journey.

At Loughborough I didn't get chance to ID the powercars of my return service, which was absolutely rammed, so I ended up standing in the vestibule next to a chavvy woman and her screaming kids :rolleyes: (my first time standing on a HST, and like the 2nd or 3rd time of standing on any train)
I didn't really enjoy this part of the journey, since it was way too cold to windowhang (as if I would do that anyway)

I managed to ID the powercars at Leicester, they were dud 43043 and 43048

IMG_20171210_121221 by litecactus, on Flickr

IMG_20171210_121522 by litecactus, on Flickr

Since I had a bit of surplus from my student loan, I treated myself to a Latte from the new Costa on the station.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Shame about the duds but at least you got a Costa :lol:

I notice you always aim for the HSTs and ignore the 222s. The 222s have really nice seating! Though I prefer first class on the HSTs.

I’ve always wanted to window hang but I don’t dare because I read about someone who was killed on the Gatwick Express window hanging from the 442 motorcoach a few years ago!! o_O

cactustwirly

Established Member
Shame about the duds but at least you got a Costa :lol:

I notice you always aim for the HSTs and ignore the 222s. The 222s have really nice seating! Though I prefer first class on the HSTs.

I’ve always wanted to window hang but I don’t dare because I read about someone who was killed on the Gatwick Express window hanging from the 442 motorcoach a few years ago!! o_O

The HSTs are much more fun! I'll travel on a 222, but I won't go out specifically to get one. I just find the 222s cramped and noisy, and there are very few decent seats.

If you're sensible with window hanging, you'll be fine. Just don't stick your whole head out! a few cm will suffice.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The only time I’ve done it is coming in to a station. (on the side of the platform we’re coming into) Then I know there are no obstacles!

Thankfully it isn’t snowing in the Thames Valley area or my day yesterday would have failed miserably.

cactustwirly

Established Member
The only time I’ve done it is coming in to a station. (on the side of the platform we’re coming into) Then I know there are no obstacles!

Thankfully it isn’t snowing in the Thames Valley area or my day yesterday would have failed miserably.

It wasn't snowing here yesterday! (just bloody freezing!)
Anyway the trains tend be pretty resilent in the snow anyway (everything here is running ok today)

Status
Not open for further replies.