• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

wobman

On Moderation
It's Freightliner not GBRF. 197003 has been doing the Crewe to Shrewsbury runs recently.
Yes that's correct 197003 is the ertms equipped unit that been used for traincrew training runs recently, the freightliner drivers have taken over the testing from the ROG drivers now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wobman

On Moderation
There's 197 stop boards along the Wrexham-Bidston line now, there may be test runs going along the line soon then.
Also I've noticed some 197s have had there passenger door steps now fitted at last, they are quite wide steps compared to other rolling stock tfw use.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
There's 197 stop boards along the Wrexham-Bidston line now, there may be test runs going along the line soon then.
Also I've noticed some 197s have had there passenger door steps now fitted at last, they are quite wide steps compared to other rolling stock tfw use.
That's interesting. You would of thought they had steps already?

That's interesting. You would of thought they had steps already?
The 195 /331 units didn't all have the tables installed initially, when they were being tested up and down the WCML. Can't remember if they had steps though. However, they were hoisted on and off a ship. That's perhaps the sort of thing that might get in the way or damaged when they are in transit?

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
The 195 /331 units didn't all have the tables installed initially, when they were being tested up and down the WCML. Can't remember if they had steps though. However, they were hoisted on and off a ship. That's perhaps the sort of thing that might get in the way or damaged when they are in transit?
Ah right I see. Makes sense I guess. The 197s have tables installed from the off.

wobman

On Moderation
Ah right I see. Makes sense I guess. The 197s have tables installed from the off.
Yes the internal parts are installed, I'm saying the toilets are working yet though.
The steps are a recent fitment as there was clearance issues on some routes, hopefully they are resolved now.

L401CJF

Established Member
Yes the internal parts are installed, I'm saying the toilets are working yet though.
The steps are a recent fitment as there was clearance issues on some routes, hopefully they are resolved now.
They dont appear to have the overhead luggage racks fitted yet although the fittings are in place ready to put them in - well on the one I was on this morning anyway!

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Ah right ok.

They dont appear to have the overhead luggage racks fitted yet although the fittings are in place ready to put them in - well on the one I was on this morning anyway!
Are you working on them then?

L401CJF

Established Member
Ah right ok.

Are you working on them then?
Just traction training for a few days. I'm not into my modern units but I must say they seem really nice inside. Looking forward to seeing them with the plastic seat covers and floor protection gone!

wobman

On Moderation
Just traction training for a few days. I'm not into my modern units but I must say they seem really nice inside. Looking forward to seeing them with the plastic seat covers and floor protection gone!
Some 197s have the overhead luggage racks and passenger door steps fitted others don't, they will be all fitted before they come into service from August/ September though.

They are nice units once the small faults are resolved, as with all new rolling stock they aren't perfect but they are better than anything else tfw have.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member

003 is due to be dragged to Machynlleth on Monday, to allow ERTMS testing take place.
Is there any reason why it won't be run under it's own power, or is it because they aren't yet cleared along the cambrian bits?

craigybagel

Established Member
Last thing you want to do is just send it to the right at Sutton Bridge Junction and see what happens!

theblackwatch

Established Member
I see the Crewe-Machynlleth move is on its way. Can anyone confirm it is 197003 and what loco is hauling it please?

Bob Price

I see the Crewe-Machynlleth move is on its way. Can anyone confirm it is 197003 and what loco is hauling it please?
37601 came up on a ROG move with barrier wagons yesterday. But guess due to the signalling it will be a 97 at some point.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
... but how big are the windows?

Fairly big to be fair. Or did you mean width? They are about a bay's width, so like the 350s cramming an extra row in will make the seating very cramped.

Are they well aligned with the seats?

No. There are 4 windows in the centre section so you'd need 8 rows (or 7 plus a luggage rack) to line them up.

Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
... but how big are the windows? Are they well aligned with the seats?
As I've posted in the 197 design issues topic previously, I've measured the windows on a 195 (believed to be the same base bodyshell as 197s) and they are 130cm by 76.5cm. On the 175s the horrizontal dimension is 154cm and the pillars on both 175s and 158s are only about 39cm thick compared to about 48cm on a 195, so there's more solid wall to look round on a Civity if the seat isn't perfectly aligned.

I think the TfW 158s have 15 tables with unobstructed views (plus one that isn't so well aligned). The 2-car class 197s only have 10 tables to begin with, only four of which appear to offer unobstructed views according to the interior layout diagram supplied to user groups by TfW. That diagram also tells us that the seat pitch (spacing between rows) on the 197s is as follows:
  • Standard class airline seats: 820mm
  • Priority seats (standard class) airline: 870mm
  • First class airline: 1125mm (these are all priority seats)
  • Standard bay: 1840mm
  • First class bay: 2050mm
This seems to be consistent throughout the unit, the central section is no tigher than the rest. The window alignment is indeed poor as illustrated above by the fact that only 4 tables out of 10 appear to offer an unobstructed view.

wobman

On Moderation
197101 on the Wrexham-Bidston’s today, its nice to see a new train up there

paddyb6

197101 has been from Chester to Bidston and back today - rather interesting as I don't believe there are any plans for 197s on the Borderlands.

wobman

On Moderation
197101 has been from Chester to Bidston and back today - rather interesting as I don't believe there are any plans for 197s on the Borderlands.
There are now plans for them on the line, you can see the stop boards along the route now just for the 197s

nanstallon

As I've posted in the 197 design issues topic previously, I've measured the windows on a 195 (believed to be the same base bodyshell as 197s) and they are 130cm by 76.5cm. On the 175s the horrizontal dimension is 154cm and the pillars on both 175s and 158s are only about 39cm thick compared to about 48cm on a 195, so there's more solid wall to look round on a Civity if the seat isn't perfectly aligned.

I think the TfW 158s have 15 tables with unobstructed views (plus one that isn't so well aligned). The 2-car class 197s only have 10 tables to begin with, only four of which appear to offer unobstructed views according to the interior layout diagram supplied to user groups by TfW. That diagram also tells us that the seat pitch (spacing between rows) on the 197s is as follows:
  • Standard class airline seats: 820mm
  • Priority seats (standard class) airline: 870mm
  • First class airline: 1125mm (these are all priority seats)
  • Standard bay: 1840mm
  • First class bay: 2050mm
This seems to be consistent throughout the unit, the central section is no tigher than the rest. The window alignment is indeed poor as illustrated above by the fact that only 4 tables out of 10 appear to offer an unobstructed view.
Thanks for that detailed reply; sorry i missed previous posts.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Yesterday I Spotted another new 197/0 that arrived at Donnington Rail Freight Terminal recently.

There are now plans for them on the line, you can see the stop boards along the route now just for the 197s
Thought it was just the 230s?

Attachments

• IMG_8309.JPG
    IMG_8309.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 67