• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Yesterday I Spotted another new 197/0 that arrived at Donnington Rail Freight Terminal recently.

Thought it was just the 230s?
The plan *was* just the 230s, but they're still not ready for public service, and TfW would really like to shift the Bidston 150s south instead to help with overcrowding issues. That's where the 197s can step in.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anamyd

On Moderation

003 is due to be dragged to Machynlleth on Monday, to allow ERTMS testing take place.
Thanks for letting me know, I went and saw it :p I heard that the ERTMS test runs of 197003 will take place in the early hours of mornings, but would you (or anyone else) be able to tell me what times and days they're running, and where to? I'm particularly interested in any running between Machynlleth and Aberystwyth.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Has anyone got any further information or updates on progress with the ERTMS testing, or has it not yet commenced? Many thanks in advance.

Turbo004

ERTMS testing has commenced and apparently is going very well. There's a few teething problems as would be expected. It runs between midnight and 7am. The last test is scheduled to be Tuesday night. I don't know if it runs to Aberystwyth.

anamyd

On Moderation
The 197 has been to Aberystwyth
Thanks for letting me know, I've now seen a photo of it there. Is it going there again on the next (last) couple of nights? I only live a few minutes' walk away so it would be nice to see it in person :p

Philip

On Moderation
How is it currently looking for 197 introduction and withdrawal of 175s? Is September for the start of the process and December for complete removal of 175s still realistic?

Anonymous10

Established Member
How is it currently looking for 197 introduction and withdrawal of 175s? Is September for the start of the process and December for complete removal of 175s still realistic?
I'd say its now optimistic as the 197s are yet to make it to Cardiff let alone Swansea or Milford haven

Cardiff123

Established Member
No, that's fantasy land stuff

Philip

On Moderation
How about change to the South Wales-Manchester timetable to accommodate the 197 and Mk4 services - is this still set for December or more likely to be next May now?

krus_aragon

Established Member

craigybagel

Established Member
September for the start is certainly possible - it might even be earlier. December for the end is definitely not happening.
How about change to the South Wales-Manchester timetable to accommodate the 197 and Mk4 services - is this still set for December or more likely to be next May now?
December is still the aim, and there's a large amount of training taking place to make this happen.

Philip

On Moderation
September for the start is certainly possible - it might even be earlier. December for the end is definitely not happening.

December is still the aim, and there's a large amount of training taking place to make this happen.

Thanks for update.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
197 101 on the North Wales main line today, doing repeated trips Chester-Llandudno Jn-Chester, making station stops (3Dxx).
197 102 parked up in Chester sidings, with engines running.

wobman

On Moderation
197 101 on the North Wales main line today, doing repeated trips Chester-Llandudno Jn-Chester, making station stops (3Dxx).
197 102 parked up in Chester sidings, with engines running.
197 101 was used for traincrew training along the N Wales coast, the drivers practical handling hours/experience and the guards ASDO training etc

102 is the used for Chester depot training for their fitters and refuelling at the depot. The shunters need traction training as do all the maintenance staff.

The 175s won't be leaving this year.
Rumours are saying the 175s lease could be extended to March 2023, the difficulty lies with Chester depot going over to caf from this week.

Maintaining 2 separate fleets at a small depot would be very problematic, let's hope someone has a plan.

Last edited:

Caaardiff

197 101 was used for traincrew training along the N Wales coast, the drivers practical handling hours/experience and the guards ASDO training etc

102 is the used for Chester depot training for their fitters and refuelling at the depot. The shunters need traction training as do all the maintenance staff.

Rumours are saying the 175s lease could be extended to March 2023, the difficulty lies with Chester depot going over to caf from this week.

Maintaining 2 separate fleets at a small depot would be very problematic, let's hope someone has a plan.
Although Alstom are transferring to CAF, has anything been decided on when they will start maintaining the 197s? The maintenance could still be split between Crewe and Chester until more 197s start arriving.

wobman

On Moderation
Although Alstom are transferring to CAF, has anything been decided on when they will start maintaining the 197s? The maintenance could still be split between Crewe and Chester until more 197s start arriving.
The maintenance will be shared between Chester and crewe by the looks of things, the depot is quite small as are Chester stations yard.

Until the 197s start getting handed over to tfw all the 175s will require there maintenance at Chester, so until then the 197s are used for depot staff training and setting up new 197 specific maintenance equipment.

The retention tanks need new equipment fitting at the depot and a few other unit specific equipment.
The depot is getting new tools apparently and lots of caf staff training.

It's a busy time at Chester depot

anamyd

On Moderation
Does anyone know when there will be more 197 test runs that go to Aberystwyth? There must surely be more, and I'm disappointed that I wasn't told about the one on the 28th...? until the 29th after it had already happened, even though I had asked when it would be on the 26th. The guy who took the photo I saw must've found out somehow, and I had I known, I would've walked across the road to see it.

I've noticed that there's a "buses replace trains" notice currently up that says "Machynlleth-Aberystwyth: Monday 13 June - Friday 17 June, Sunday 19 June - Friday 24 June, Sunday 26 June - Friday 01 July, Sunday 03 July - Friday 08 July, late nights / early mornings" - could this be 197-related?

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Does anyone know when there will be more 197 test runs that go to Aberystwyth? There must surely be more, and I'm disappointed that I wasn't told about the one on the 28th...? until the 29th after it had already happened, even though I had asked when it would be on the 26th. The guy who took the photo I saw must've found out somehow, and I had I known, I would've walked across the road to see it.

I've noticed that there's a "buses replace trains" notice currently up that says "Machynlleth-Aberystwyth: Monday 13 June - Friday 17 June, Sunday 19 June - Friday 24 June, Sunday 26 June - Friday 01 July, Sunday 03 July - Friday 08 July, late nights / early mornings" - could this be 197-related?

I wouldn't fret too much. Once training is complete and the 197s have taken over, that is all you will see. Make the most of your 158s

craigybagel

Established Member

I'm not sure we have many posters from the Cambrian. I'd love to help but I've no idea myself what's happening out there.

I know 197 has been out testing at night on the Cambrian but i have no idea of when and what times
There doesn't seem to be any paths showing of test runs, however 197003 was sat on Machynlleth Carriage Sidings yesterday at 1600 when I went past.

Edit: The best I could suggest is to watch diagram websites such as Traksy and look for an obscure movement late at night to either Newtown or Aberystwyth - so far it has run under 5Q97 when I've seen it on the diagrams.

Turbo004

I'm sorry I don't know when a 197 is next going to Aberystwyth. It might not be for quite a long time. If testing went well last week and as far as I know it did, the next 197 related testing is late August on the Cambrian. Even this testing may not go to Aberystwyth.

wobman

On Moderation
I'm sorry I don't know when a 197 is next going to Aberystwyth. It might not be for quite a long time. If testing went well last week and as far as I know it did, the next 197 related testing is late August on the Cambrian. Even this testing may not go to Aberystwyth.
There will be a lot of traction training for the mach depot staff and looking at depot equipment fitting compatability etc for the future. As the mach depot will be going over to CAF, so there will be more 197 visits later this year no doubt once more ertms 197s

mmh

Established Member
Has a 197 been to Holyhead yet? I've seen them in North Wales but all seem to be scared of going further than Llandudno Junction. Plenty of ECS runs Chester to Junction, isn't it time to go a bit further with them or is this just mileage accumulation?

wobman

On Moderation
Has a 197 been to Holyhead yet? I've seen them in North Wales but all seem to be scared of going further than Llandudno Junction. Plenty of ECS runs Chester to Junction, isn't it time to go a bit further with them or is this just mileage accumulation?
There are issues with trackside clearance around Conwy for the 197s and further locations between Llandudno Junction to Holyhead.
The places effected are being worked on to enable the units to go towards Holyhead soon, as Holyhead will be stabling point for the 197s later this year.