• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

Jez

Established Member
I travelled to Cardiff today. What was interesting was my return journey 1805 Cardiff to Milford Haven was formed of 197111 which was what was covering the MK4 on the 1430 MAN CDF. It might as well have been a Manchester to Milford journey today. I wonder if any through passengers had to alight the terminating train in Cardiff LOL (It was already on the platform when I arrived around 6pm)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BillStampy

197005 and 197009 is on the Pembroke Clearance run today, seems 197s for Ebbw Vale are becoming more common, 197016 is taking it on today.

Jez

Established Member
Would proving runs today put them on schedule for introduction at the start of the summer timetable in June?
Could depend if there is enough 197s to operate Pembroke Dock services. With them doing Maesteg and Ebbw Vale now as well the fleet is being stretched to its limit.

We really need the remaining 3 car 197s in service asap!

Anonymous10

Established Member
Could depend if there is enough 197s to operate Pembroke Dock services. With them doing Maesteg and Ebbw Vale now as well the fleet is being stretched to its limit.

We really need the remaining 3 car 197s in service asap!
However it would give flexibility of the 197s and 15x being able to operate nearly any service in the south.

craigybagel

Established Member
Would proving runs today put them on schedule for introduction at the start of the summer timetable in June?
So long as the proving runs don't flag any issues. No need for extra crew training or anything like that. Obviously if they do have problems, that might take time to rectify, plus as others have said you also need to take into account the availability of units

Jez

Established Member
So long as the proving runs don't flag any issues. No need for extra crew training or anything like that. Obviously if they do have problems, that might take time to rectify, plus as others have said you also need to take into account the availability of units
I wonder if TFW are going to prioritise having 5 car 197s on the Swansea to Manchesters over having the 197s on Pembroke diagrams. Swanline is also waiting for 197s (not including the few that are already booked 197 of course)

Anonymous10

Established Member
I wonder if TFW are going to prioritise having 5 car 197s on the Swansea to Manchesters over having the 197s on Pembroke diagrams. Swanline is also waiting for 197s (not including the few that are already booked 197 of course)
I'm personally hoping that additional capacity is available on the line during weekends and events like iron-man.

Envoy

Established Member
June 18th is the big one - when all the Swifties descend on Cardiff & I guess many will leave the following day.

BillStampy

Should be new 197 delivery? Better hope so, we need to get more in service as the fleet is being overstretched with the additional services

Western 52

197005/9 are running from Canton to Milford Haven and Fishguard Harbour today. Maybe proving for running 4 cars on those lines? They are already passed for 197s.

BenBracken

197s at Pembroke Dock.
Great pic, thanks!

197005/9 are running from Canton to Milford Haven and Fishguard Harbour today. Maybe proving for running 4 cars on those lines? They are already passed for 197s.
Definitely a 4 car! Not sure there would be a need for four cars west of Carmarthen, even on match days. But good to see them being trialled.

Attachments

• IMG_5976.jpeg
    IMG_5976.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Anonymous10

Established Member
Great pic, thanks!

Definitely a 4 car! Not sure there would be a need for four cars west of Carmarthen, even on match days. But good to see them being trialled.
Only time I can think of is iron man and similar events in tenby, I've seen three coaches full and standing for that.

Caaardiff

Great pic, thanks!

I think it's more for operational resilience than customer demand. The 15x fleet was always cleared for 4 cars.

Western 52

There are currently some 4 car services west of Carmarthen, such as the 1430 Sundays Manchester to Milford Haven and Pembroke Dock which splits at Whitland.

sd0733

Established Member
Just curious as to why they need to do proving runs with 4 cars? What are they learning that they don’t already know with 3?
ASDO, PRM compliance, Stepping distances etc. Some doors and wheelchair spaces will be in different places on 4 car then 3. There's also things like signal sightings at platforms for Guards and drivers as the stopping positions will be different. There's lots of things that have to be done on proving above just seeing if it fits.

BillStampy

Two 197/1s left Crewe South Yard a few minutes ago for Chester Depot, supposing those are the new accepted ones, any idea which units they are? (I couldn't identify them)

Snow1964

Established Member
TfW Press Release about 197s to Ebbw Vale

22 Apr 2024​

Brand new trains have been launched on the Ebbw Vale line today (Monday 22 April) offering customers a more comfortable and reliable experience.

Built in Newport, the Class 197 trains have started to enter service on mainline routes around Wales and the Borders.

They will run between Ebbw Vale and Cardiff Central, as well as Newport, following the introduction of brand-new services on the line earlier this year.

The Cabinet Secretary for North Wales and Transport, Ken Skates said: “This is great news. These trains are modern and comfortable and provide a much-improved experience for passengers. This is another positive step for rail services in Wales.”

The trains are part of an £800 million investment in new trains to transform rail travel that is currently being delivered by Transport for Wales, replacing trains that were between 30 and 40 years old.

Chief Customer and Culture Office at Transport for Wales Marie Daly said: “Earlier this year we were able to launch brand new services to Newport from Ebbw Vale thanks to a £70 million public investment in the stations, track and signalling, and these new trains are the next important step to help boost the economy and to encourage people to make more sustainable journeys.

“I’m delighted that our Ebbw Vale customers will be benefiting from our brand-new trains. The trains are comfortable, and offer greater capacity for our customers.”

Assembled at the CAF train factory in Llanwern, Newport, there will be 77 of the class 197 trains operating throughout Wales and along its border routes, forming the backbone of the mainline fleet.

The trains will be able to run up to a maximum of four carriages on the Ebbw Vale line.

January marked the introduction of the new Newport services, almost doubling the number of trains operating on the line with two trains running per hour, one to/from Cardiff and one to/from Newport.

While the transition is ongoing, customers may still see some of the older trains in operation however these will gradually be phased out over the coming years.
The Class 197s will start operating down to Pembroke Dock later this year and on the Cambrian line in 2025.

Snow1964

Established Member
Milford Haven line closed next week due to platform alterations at Clarbeston Road to accommodate 197s. But surely they have been stopping there anyway?

Unusually, seems to be lowering platforms

Buses will replace trains at all stops between Carmarthen and Milford Haven/Fishguard Harbour on the West Wales lines from Saturday to Tuesday 27-30 April inclusive.

Network Rail engineers will be working at Clarbeston Road station, preparing the platforms to be able to accommodate new Class 197 trains.

The work will include lowering the platforms by removing the coping stones on the platform edge, altering walls, installing new coping stones, and finally laying new tarmac surfacing.

Delta558

Unusually, seems to be lowering platforms

Whitland end of Clarbeston Road historically has been a slight step up onto the platform, which doesn't suit a 197's wider step at each door! Similarly, 158s have always had to stop signal box end of the platform (the electrical box being the forward limit) because the way their doors open risks them hitting the platform otherwise and potentially jamming.

Works were done last year and we have been using a temporary method of work until the works are completed on the up platform and we can have the full length available for use.

Do we know if the proving runs to Pembroke Dock today were successful?
Didn't hit any problems as far as I am aware. Down and back twice, including visiting the bay platform at Whitland.