• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yes you are right about two per coach. Travelling with young children just out of nappies can be interesting. They often only announce at the last second that they need a wee. It was noticable that we never had to wait for a toilet on an HST but we often do on an IET. They have one per carriage (on average) so one toilet on a two car long distance unit doesn't sound good.

Some cars have two and a 9-car has 11 toilets vs the 12-13 for a GWR 2+8 HST and they have more than the IC225s they replace on the ECML.

I take the point with the CAFs though, one toilet is not going to be sufficient even when two units multi.

Do the 3-car sets only have one toilet as well, or will they have two does anyone know?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pacerman99

Some cars have two and a 9-car has 11 toilets vs the 12-13 for a GWR 2+8 HST and they have more than the IC225s they replace on the ECML.

I take the point with the CAFs though, one toilet is not going to be sufficient even when two units multi.

Do the 3-car sets only have one toilet as well, or will they have two does anyone know?
IIRC they will have 2 toilets for a 3 car set.

6Gtraincrew

From the CAf website:

Two cars have a PRM toilet and the three car have a PRM toilet and a standard toilet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200505-165318_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200505-165318_Chrome.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 74

jamiearmley

This is just a general observation, from someone who spends a deal of time working 195/331 units. It's my own opinion, although many share it. (Some obviously don't). The build quality, reliability and ride quality leave a lot to be desired. The ride is particularly rough, and varies widely between units. The toilets spend more time out of service than in service, mainly it seems due to door faults. Regularly during service interior fittings become loose and fall off, including parts from door control panels and cab doors. The air conditioning system seems inadequate, on busy trains with a lot of people using available oxygen you feel like you are fighting to get enough air. The units roofs tend to leak, alarmingly so in heavy rain. At the end of a shift, your legs and knees ache, from being stood up absorbing the large and noticeable vibrations and clunking from the poor ride quality. A year into service, many units are starting to "squeak", as interior fittings loosen slightly and vibrate. I seriously hope the TFW versions are an improvement (having 2 toilets on a 3 car is a good start). They are certainly going to be hated on jointed track such as the pembroke dock line : might as well be on a pacer. Fingers crossed!!

Neptune

Established Member
This is just a general observation, from someone who spends a deal of time working 195/331 units. It's my own opinion, although many share it. (Some obviously don't). The build quality, reliability and ride quality leave a lot to be desired. The ride is particularly rough, and varies widely between units. The toilets spend more time out of service than in service, mainly it seems due to door faults. Regularly during service interior fittings become loose and fall off, including parts from door control panels and cab doors. The air conditioning system seems inadequate, on busy trains with a lot of people using available oxygen you feel like you are fighting to get enough air. The units roofs tend to leak, alarmingly so in heavy rain. At the end of a shift, your legs and knees ache, from being stood up absorbing the large and noticeable vibrations and clunking from the poor ride quality. A year into service, many units are starting to "squeak", as interior fittings loosen slightly and vibrate. I seriously hope the TFW versions are an improvement (having 2 toilets on a 3 car is a good start). They are certainly going to be hated on jointed track such as the pembroke dock line : might as well be on a pacer. Fingers crossed!!
Agree with all you say 100%. The quality is appalling to say they are new units. I’ve also pointed out before that a major problem with them is that they are a jack of all trades, master of none due to the wide variety of service types they work on.

The poor qualities of the CAF units is most noticeable if you work a 170 or 333 during the same shift. Both are a 20+ year old design and both are much better and a higher quality in almost every way.

I suspect that whilst the 197’s are to be different internally to the Northern units that the ride and build qualities will be just as bad.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
If you'd substituted Class 458 for 195/331 and it was 20 years ago this report would be almost identical. Uncanny.

samuelmorris

Established Member
If you'd substituted Class 458 for 195/331 and it was 20 years ago this report would be almost identical. Uncanny.
Interesting you say that, because look at them now. Not so long ago yardsticks of reliability and, while a little bit shoddy, generally considered more comfortable and better units than what will likely replace them...

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Finally, I must mention fares - even though this is not the fares section but it is highly relevant. The fares between south Wales & places north of Crewe are apparently set by Cross Country as it is deemed a so called ‘Inter City’ route. So, if somebody wishes to travel from say Cardiff to Edinburgh tomorrow - the fare one way = £192.60. (Carlisle is £143.50). Craigybagel says that very few passengers are aware of split ticketing. I know of somebody in Cardiff who wanted to visit a relative in Carlisle. This family of 3 put in for a fare and up came the sky high fare charged by Cross Country. These people knew nothing of split ticketing and simply chose to drive - hence we have business lost to TfW & what is not Avanti due to this ridiculous fares policy. I wonder how many staff working The Marches have found through tickets where those who did not know better are paying these sky high fares? I also wonder if staff at stations are telling customers the cheapest way of doing such journeys?

I'm not sure XC now set walk-on fares from Cardiff to destinations north of Crewe.
From BRfares, TfW set the fares to Crewe/Manchester/Liverpool/Warrington/Wigan, with Avanti setting them from Preston to Glasgow*.
All these fares are Any Permitted with effectively no off-peak time restriction (8A for TfW, 2T for Avanti).
For some reason XC still sets the fare to Edinburgh and anywhere further north, so their draconian fare rules apply.

*Carlisle is indeed £143.50 for an Anytime Single (set by Avanti). There is no Off-Peak Single.
But the Off-Peak Return is £162.50 with a 2T restriction (not before 0415), so effectively Anytime.
There is a Saver Half (SVH) at half the Off-Peak Return (£81.25), available online if you book both ways with Avanti.
I believe these Avanti fares are due to change significantly this month (see https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...est-coast-to-end-from-may-fares-round.202975/).

Last edited:

Envoy

Established Member
I'm not sure XC now set walk-on fares from Cardiff to destinations north of Crewe.
From BRfares, TfW set the fares to Crewe/Manchester/Liverpool/Warrington/Wigan, with Avanti setting them from Preston to Glasgow*.
All these fares are Any Permitted with effectively no off-peak time restriction (8A for TfW, 2T for Avanti).
For some reason XC still sets the fare to Edinburgh and anywhere further north, so their draconian fare rules apply.

*Carlisle is indeed £143.50 for an Anytime Single (set by Avanti). There is no Off-Peak Single.
But the Off-Peak Return is £162.50 with a 2T restriction (not before 0415), so effectively Anytime.
There is a Saver Half (SVH) at half the Off-Peak Return (£81.25), available online if you book both ways with Avanti.
I believe these Avanti fares are due to change significantly this month (see https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...est-coast-to-end-from-may-fares-round.202975/).

We will just have to wait and see what happens when Avanti issue their new fares. The way things are as of now, is that someone making a journey from London Kings Cross northward is likely to pay less per mile than a passenger going from Cardiff or Newport northwards towards Scotland. It appears that with LNER being the main operator on the East Coast Mainline, they ensure that fares are competitive with the airlines to say Edinburgh. The East Coast Mainline also has several companies - all competing for passengers. The TfW trains along with the XC trains operating between Cardiff/ Newport/ Bristol and the north-west/ Scotland are too short for the number of passengers generally wishing to travel. This must surely be a contributory factor regarding the higher cost per mile charged to the travelling public. From Bristol/ Cardiff/ Newport to Scotland, it is generally cheaper to fly.
(Sorry for being off topic but comes from the debate over the comfort levels needed for the distances travelled on the new CAF 197’s).

Rhydgaled

Established Member
But it does make a difference. I've worked these routes for years, I know what dwell times are like, and I know that this will make a positive difference. And it's not like the whole train is being ruined somehow to cope with these demands - they will still have all the modern things a train needs. They will be fine for long journeys - but they will also be able to cope with higher passenger numbers a lot easier when required.
I agree with you that it will make a difference to dwell times. However, my opinion is that this dwell time reduction comes at an unacceptable cost. It's not one small downgrade, it is several small downgrades and one big one (the loss of a toilet being the big one).

Perhaps the solution would be to

1) Have the Manchester to South Wales services call at Stockport, Wilmslow, Crewe, then Shrewsbury, Ludlow, (possibly Leominster too), Hereford, Abergavenny and Newport; and then Bridgend, Port Talbot and Neath between Cardiff and Swansea
Apart from Cwmbran and the extra stops between Crewe and Shrewsbury every two hours isn't that pretty much what it was under ATW?

IIRC they will have 2 toilets for a 3 car set.
At least that's more acceptable.
Less unacceptable than the 195s (assuming they only have 1 toilet even on the 3-car units) but still a step back from 175s. It's also 94 seats per toilet, which still falls short of the value specified in the key train requirements, with the planned 5-car formations on Swansea-Manchester being over 100 seats per toilet.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Less unacceptable than the 195s (assuming they only have 1 toilet even on the 3-car units) but still a step back from 175s. It's also 94 seats per toilet, which still falls short of the value specified in the key train requirements, with the planned 5-car formations on Swansea-Manchester being over 100 seats per toilet.

It's basically putting a short-distance local/commuter train on long-distance services effectively perpetuating the poorer aspects of the 170 design and furthering it by reducing toilet provision. At least 170s all have two toilets minimum.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Interesting you say that, because look at them now. Not so long ago yardsticks of reliability and, while a little bit shoddy, generally considered more comfortable and better units than what will likely replace them...
Although I don't think Northern Trains or any future ToC in the region will be inclined to refurbish the Civity fleet the way SWT did with the 458s in 2008 and Porterbrook with the 458/5 refurbishment which together solved the problems the early Juniper fleet suffered from. SWT's train care was known for being second to none. The 458s went from being the UKs most unreliable to the most reliable. I'm not sure the Civity will get that level of maintenance that determines a long lifespan for a train.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Me neither but that wasn't really what I was going for - it was more a case of 'I hope we don't look back on these units the same way we do now about the 458s...'

Rhydgaled

Established Member
It's basically putting a short-distance local/commuter train on long-distance services effectively perpetuating the poorer aspects of the 170 design and furthering it by reducing toilet provision. At least 170s all have two toilets minimum.
Exactly, and some 3-car 170s even have 3 toilets I have read. The 195s have been described in other topics as "poor man's Turbostars"; I think the only benefit of the 195s (from what others have written) is larger overhead racks and possibly fuel economy (but on the latter point at least they don't really seem to be any better than a 158). The 197s have one other improvement; unit end gangways.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Exactly, and some 3-car 170s even have 3 toilets I have read. The 195s have been described in other topics as "poor man's Turbostars"; I think the only benefit of the 195s (from what others have written) is larger overhead racks and possibly fuel economy (but on the latter point at least they don't really seem to be any better than a 158). The 197s have one other improvement; unit end gangways.

Yes, the Anglia and Hull Trains 3-car 170s had a toilet in each car.

The gangway is definitely an improvement, as proven with the 158 design it is useful for crewing, catering trolley provision and because it enables passengers to pass between sets either to look for a seat elsewhere, to seek out staff or to get to a working toilet should one in the other part of the train fail.

That feature will probably be very useful in the 195s for precisely that reason!

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
The gangway is definitely an improvement, as proven with the 158 design it is useful for crewing, catering trolley provision and because it enables passengers to pass between sets either to look for a seat elsewhere, to seek out staff or to get to a working toilet should one in the other part of the train fail.

That feature will probably be very useful in the 195s for precisely that reason!
Something Northern & future operators will rue, unless they have interchangeable cabs like Desiro's do.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Something Northern & future operators will rue, unless they have interchangeable cabs like Desiro's do.

I agree very much, it's about the only thing they've got right with the units spec thus far. They could actually be quite decent trains for TfW but just a few small details lets them down in my opinion

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I agree very much, it's about the only thing they've got right with the units spec thus far. They could actually be quite decent trains for TfW but just a few small details lets them down in my opinion

The use of the Fainsa Sophia seat beggars belief when the vastly superior FISA LEAN is available and being used by WMT on their CAF units.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
The use of the Fainsa Sophia seat beggars belief when the vastly superior FISA LEAN is available and being used by WMT on their CAF units.
Out of the 3, the 196's have the best spec, and they're the ones being used on commuter services! It's laughable.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

It's rather akin to Northern and their seats survey which ended up being ignored. Not exactly the same but there are parallels to be drawn.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Out of the 3, the 196's have the best spec, and they're the ones being used on commuter services! It's laughable.

It is isn't it(!), but in some respects it's rather like the 170 development. Who knows where all the 195/196s will be in 22 years time - hopefully through a couple if refreshes at least.

It's just more of a shame that TfW could've specified much better interiors but didn't, these could very much have been their flagship new trains with reasonably comfortable interiors to match. It will be interesting to see what the public thinks of them when they are all bedded in.

Pacerman99

Apart from the actual seats themselves, do the 196s have the best spec? I mean, don't get me wrong, the 196s look ideal for what the commuter services they work (the layout reminds me of the class 365s actually, which I consider the best layout for a commuter train) but the seating layout looks quite dense with lots of unidirectional seats and few bay seats, and they don't have armrests. The 197s, although using the sophia seat, look like they will have a slightly less dense layout, with armrests, as well as a floor mounted luggage stack in each carriage.

Tomos y Tanc

It's just more of a shame that TfW could've specified much better interiors but didn't, these could very much have been their flagship new trains with reasonably comfortable interiors to match. It will be interesting to see what the public thinks of them when they are all bedded in.

I suspect that Welsh travellers will be so shocked to have brand new stock for once that they'll be very forgiving of any minor blemishes. Wales, along with the north of England, has been at the bottom end of every single cascade going and have had put up with crap for so long that people will be grateful for small mercies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I suspect that Welsh travellers will be so shocked to have brand new stock for once that they'll be very forgiving of any minor blemishes. Wales, along with the north of England, has been at the bottom end of every single cascade going and have had put up with crap for so long that people will be grateful for small mercies.

Errr...class 175?

Established Member
A fairly large chunk of the South East last got new trains about 20 years ago too...your point is? :)

I really don't care about how old the trains are in the South East.

However, what I do care about is the North and Wales finally getting the new, or decent quality second hand (such as 156s, 158s and 170s), rolling stock that passengers in those areas deserve. For far too long we've had to put up with the utterly diabolical Pacers and other dreadful trains, such as the 150s and 319s, which nobody else wants any more.

irish_rail

Established Member
I really don't care about how old the trains are in the South East.

However, what I do care about is the North and Wales finally getting the new, or decent quality second hand (such as 156s, 158s and 170s), rolling stock that passengers in those areas deserve. For far too long we've had to put up with the utterly diabolical Pacers and other dreadful trains, such as the 150s and 319s, which nobody else wants any more.
Too he fair the north of England gets way more new stock than say the southwest. I'm sure passengers down here would sooner have a 175 rather than a clapped out 150. The north has been relatively lucky .