• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cafes and bars at stations where you can watch trains/trams

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliwag

The Mitre, behind Knaresborough station...good choice of ales at decent prices + food. Admittedly it's only 155s + 153 changing platform for return to Leeds and an intriguing signal box built onto the end of terrace, to control crossing gates. but good spot to spend a sunny afternoon in't beer garden

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Oxenholme.

Is that a new one ? Last time I was there I had to go to the pub up the road.

The Mitre, behind Knaresborough station...good choice of ales at decent prices + food. Admittedly it's only 155s + 153 changing platform for return to Leeds and an intriguing signal box built onto the end of terrace, to control crossing gates. but good spot to spend a sunny afternoon in't beer garden

I think it gets various exotic looking 170'as well now.

Mordac

Established Member
Costa in the island platform at Lancaster.

The Little R'Ale House micropub in Wellingborough.

caliwag

East Boldon, on the Tyne and Wear metro to Sunderland (from Pelaw where they 'service' GC stock, there's the 'Badgers Bridge' where you can see regular T + W metros, half a dozen freights and the GC empties...not a bad pub to watch the cricket on telly + 3 hand pulls (not cheap) + food

Iskra

Established Member
Costa in the island platform at Lancaster.

The Little R'Ale House micropub in Wellingborough.

Again, can you see trains from that Costa? Not convinced. The glass used to be frosted (admittedly I haven’t been for years since I lived near the station) and it faces a relatively little used part of the platform, that itself isn’t used that much.

bearhugger

"301 Miles From London" on Carlisle Citadel station especially if you sit at the tables outside on the platform, and they have free wifi.
As an aside the bacon butties are fantastic from there, and if you enjoy an alcoholic tipple, there is a selection of decent beverages too.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
If you go to the right area of the pub, the Cask & Spindle in Shepley has views of the Penistone line if 144s are your thing.

Not sure if it's still open or still has the same name, but the Victory Inn (between Taunton and Wellington, not far from Bradford-on-Tone) even had the adjacent level crossing named after it.

East Boldon, on the Tyne and Wear metro to Sunderland (from Pelaw where they 'service' GC stock, there's the 'Badgers Bridge' where you can see regular T + W metros, half a dozen freights and the GC empties...

I must give it a try - while pointing out that the predictive text gremlins have been gnawing away; the pub is the 'Beggars Bridge'

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The garden at "The Tickled Trout" in Wye has a nice view of the Canterbury West line.

johnr57

Costa York - in the old signal box on the bridge
Sidings Restaurant, Shipton-by-Benningborough adjacent to the ECML which incidentally has excellent WiFi so serves as a pleasant location to work!

Killingworth

Established Member
The refreshment room between Platforms 6 and 8 at Sheffield gives good views of trains. Not a pub, restaurant or cafe as such but this thread leaves room for many interpretations.

Some of the places suggested may offer views only if standing up, facing one small window, or at best of only seeing one train an hour in each direction.

caliwag

I must give it a try - while pointing out that the predictive text gremlins have been gnawing away; the pub is the 'Beggars Bridge'
Sorry about that, must be predictive text, though I think 'Badgers Bridge' is nicer...don't know the history of the place. Doesn't get a great review (or indeed up-to-date) on Beer in the evening site...but thanks for the correction

matacaster

On Moderation
Is that a new one ? Last time I was there I had to go to the pub up the road.

I think it gets various exotic looking 170'as well now.

The cafe is just a very small thin one on Island platform. You can sit on the couple of bar stools to look out of the window. Didn't look too new, but don't go there much.

Ant158

The Pasty Company at Preston Station has chairs and tables outside. Not the warmest of places to wait but you can see trains coming and going on multiple platforms. Also Pumpkin Cafe Shop at Preston P1/2

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The Wheatsheaf at Hubberts Bridge and watch the Skeggys going by. (Skegness)

Last edited:

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Las Iguanas on the South Bank is right next to Hungerford Bridge, which offers some spectacular views on the underside of the Networkers and and plenty of noise to enjoy from accelerating MetCam sets. Can be very noisy as there is a set of points right next to the seating area though. Not a very romantic spot mind, definitely wouldn’t try having a date there.

Not a cafe or bar, but a picnic on the hill of Brockwell Park in South London offers great views of trains going through Herne Hill. Not so exciting nowadays, but I remember as a kid watching the long Eurostar’s stretch across the landscape past the houses and gardens. The Lambeth Country Show (if anyone knows of it) seemed much better back then!

gazthomas

Established Member
Not quite at the station, but you can see trains from the Station Hotel in Llandudno Junction if you sit outside and it has a long history, being called the "Killer", as it was where railway staff were alleged to go to "kill time".

TheSel

Unless you're sat at one of the outside tables, you'd have to crane your neck a bit, but 'The Beer Station' (50 yards from Freshfield Station) just about qualifies. It also does an excellent range of real ales and ciders - and (here's the railway connection) has a real-time screen showing the next departures. You can also hear the audible tones when the crossing barriers come down, so you've got time to take a last swig and go!

woodhouse122

Cleethorpes has 2 bars on the station,Number 2 refreshment roon on the concourse and No 1 pub which is ajoining the trans pennine express platform ;)

Goofle

The smoking area of the Flying Scotsman pub in Frenchgate in Doncaster offers a reasonable view over Platform One and you can also see the northern part of the station.

Iskra

Established Member
The smoking area of the Flying Scotsman pub in Frenchgate in Doncaster offers a reasonable view over Platform One and you can also see the northern part of the station.

However, you will be compelled to drink your beer from a plastic glass.

It’s the only pub where I’ve approached the bar and been asked if I’m drinking in or taking away.

Also, how does this sit with all railway stations being non smoking?

Bookd

There is a kiosk, selling coffee and alcoholic drinks, with a seating area, even nearer than Las Iguanas if that appeals, and probably cheaper.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You won't see any trains at the moment (though you might see the replacement bus if you sit at the front), but there's the excellent little cafe at Betws y Coed station (http://www.alpinecoffeeshop.co.uk/). Can be hard to get a table at busy times, though. There are other establishments there from which you'd see the buses but that one is by far the best.

MAV39

The first floor Marks and Spencer cafe in the Ravenside retail park at Bexhill has several large windows overlooking the East Coastway and the sea.

Clayton

On Moderation
Beer garden at the Tandem pub in Kennington near Oxford, right by the main line

johnnychips

Established Member
However, you will be compelled to drink your beer from a plastic glass.

It’s the only pub where I’ve approached the bar and been asked if I’m drinking in or taking away.

Also, how does this sit with all railway stations being non smoking?
You are confusing ‘The Draughtsman’ on platform 3, where smoking is evidently not allowed, and you will need to take a plastic glass outside; and The Mallard accessed through the Frenchgate Centre where you can take a proper glass on the terrace and smoke.

Iskra

Established Member
You are confusing ‘The Draughtsman’ on platform 3, where smoking is evidently not allowed, and you will need to take a plastic glass outside; and The Mallard accessed through the Frenchgate Centre where you can take a proper glass on the terrace and smoke.

Ah, thanks for clarifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.