Cafes and bars at stations where you can watch trains/trams

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by Ken H, 8 Jun 2019.

1. Cricketer8for9

Cricketer8for9 Member

The Cricketers’ Arms on Addiscombe Road in Croydon has a constant parade of trams between Lebanon Road and Sandilands Stations. There are tables out the front on what is now not a very heavily trafficked road (at least in number of vehicles terms - though each vehicle may well be quite heavy).

2. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

An international entry: the Hortus Restaraunt and Garden Bar adjacent to Pompei Scarva Circumvesuviana station (Italy) has its dining garden back onto the Circumvesuviana tracks.

3. Fireless

Fireless Member

Another international entry (the Isle of Man is not part of the UK after all): The Terminus Tavern in Douglas with the beer garden overlooking the Derby Castle terminus (and from the right tables also the depot) of the Manx Electric Railway and the Douglas Horse tram.

4. Condor7

Condor7 Member

The Pot Place at Plumpton Cumbria just outside Penrith.

It depends where you sit but it is next to the WCML and the tables that look out over it get a decent view. Likewise where you park your car also gets good views. On top of that it is an excellent cafe and is consistently getting good reviews on trip advisor.

5. Jon125

Jon125 Member

Bristol Parkway to right just before barriers upstairs, restaurant food place windows that overlook all tracks.
    Weston Super Mare, Off The Rails on platform.
    Yatton, The Railway Inn adjacent to station entrance but can see the train pass.

6. AlbertBeale

AlbertBeale Member

I remember - and yearn for - the days when there were little bars on some of the station platforms on London Underground's SSLs. I think one was on the westbound at Sloane Square, and there was another at one of the other stations along there, but I can't remember which. The one at Baker Street wasn't on a platform, but up on the higher level concourse connecting the stairs from platforms of the terminating lines with the overbridge for Platform 6 towards Edgware Road.
    On occasions when heading west on the trunk part of the District, if the first train shown wasn't going my way (more than likely, with the 4 different routes served), I'd get whatever was coming, leap off at Sloane Square, and have a quick half before my train turned up... Sigh.

7. DerekC

DerekC Member

If picnic areas are allowed I can recommend the one at Ropley on the Mid Hants.

And the most spectacular railway view while eating/drinking that I know is from the dining room of the Rannoch Hotel as the northbound sleeper approaches across the Moor, with the snow capped mountains of Glencoe in the background. I have it as the wallpaper on my laptop!

Last edited: 18 Jun 2019
  8. Trackman

Trackman Member

You can at the Head of Steam platform side, I was there at weekend!
    I didn't go in though.

9. Ted172

Ted172 Member

Another is the Lady Foley's Tea Room at Great Malvern. This cafe even has outdoor tables on the platform.

10. superkev

superkev Established Member

Some friends who where regulars there went last week and reported it was dire with poor food and no customers. Perhaps its changed hands so take care.
    K

11. Pyreneenguy

Pyreneenguy Member

There's a great view of Blackpool North from the upstairs café in Sainsbury's. A Clotted cream tea will only set you back £2.80, I was there over the New Year and added a mince pie for 70p !

12. Undiscovered

Undiscovered Member

Nice pub on the down platform at Codsall, on the Wolves to Shrewsbury line. Always seems very busy.

13. soccermad

soccermad Member

Worksop

Nice Pub on sheffield bound platform
    Super Cafe on Retford bound side

14. district

district Established Member

Pizza Express in Croydon is good for watching the Tramlink

15. 56 1/2

56 1/2 Member

Long gone but my favorite was a window table in the upstairs eating area Burger King Waterloo before the Arial walkway , You could watch the bustle right across the concourse but just sit and relax, and yes there were a few trains beyond the barrier. Very few customers used upstairs and the staff did not hassle so stay as long as you like. I think the same window was used for some shots of TERMINUS 1961 Day in the life documentary by the then unknown John Schlesinger

16. Undiscovered

Undiscovered Member

Platform 2 on.. er platform 2 at Wellington is also a fine cafe. Serves a lovely breakfast.

17. hexagon789

hexagon789 Established Member

Starbucks at Edinburgh Haymarket. The outside seating area has excellent views over Haymarket station.

18. Condor7

Condor7 Member

Having read this I decided to give the place a try yesterday as I was at the station over lunch time. I fully intended to go for the bacon sandwich but got tempted instead for the burger with cheese in a sourdough bap. I have to say it was delicious. I was also tempted by the chocolate brownie which looked homemade, that to was lovely.

The cold sandwiches also looked lovely wrapped in brown paper rather than plastic which was nice to see. All the food appears to have a fresh homemade feel to it. I will certainly be back to try other things soon. Thanks for the recommendation.

19. bewildered

bewildered Member

In Leeds I'd suggest:

On a sunny day Water Lane Boathouse if sat outside you can get a good view of trains coming into platforms 15, 16 and 17

The roof bar at the Doubletree Hotel offers good views over the western end of the station, shame the balcony isn't on that side of the hotel.

The roof terrace of The Brewery Tap on New Station Street has a decent view of the eastern end of the station

20. PeterC

PeterC Established Member

If we are going into history I must vote for the buffet on the footbridge at Liverpool Street before redevelopment. It was fascinating to watch how slam door stock emptied with each compartment forming its own little line on the platform for second or two before merging with the rest.

21. AlbertBeale

AlbertBeale Member

That reminds me - was Liverpool Street another of the (SSL) Underground stations with a bar on the platform [as per my earlier post]. I really can't remember for sure which they all were now - anyone can help??

22. bearhugger

bearhugger Member

You're welcome! The bacon bun was purely based on what I normally have when I go there. Based on your reccommendation I will give the burger a try next time i'm there. The staff are pretty good and the beer/alcohol choices (if you enjoy a tipple) change quite regularly so always worth a look and ** I think** they may let you have a sip of something if you're not sure about the brew!

23. 6Gman

6Gman Established Member

Also an Indian restaurant in Nantwich station building.

24. Matt_pool

Matt_pool Member

York - York Tap has tables and chairs outside on platform 3/4.

Bristol Temple Meads - there's a bar/cafe called Bonapartes with tables and chairs outside on platform 3.

25. unlevel42

unlevel42 Member

Beeston - Victoria Hotel. Beer garden with platform access. Footbridge nearby.
    Blackpool - Aquarius cafe outside old tram depot(still there?)

26. Howardh

Howardh Established Member

At Piccadilly I sat on the balcony, passing the time and watching the trains and passengers go by and had a pint of a well-known Spanish lager.............which was £6.50.

Been cheaper if I'd bought a return to Stockport and bought a tinny!!