• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cairnryan SailRail - Is this permitted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm14

Would the following example itinerary be valid for the outward portion of an ANYTIME R from BELFAST NI to LIVERPOOL STNS, route CAIRNRYAN STENA?

14 January
15:30 Belfast Port - Cairnryan 17:45 (Ferry)
18:25 Cairnryan - Ayr 19:35 (Bus)
19:45 Ayr - Glasgow Central 20:36 (ScotRail)

18 January
18:40 Glasgow Central - Warrington Bank Quay 21:20 (Virgin West Coast)
21:49 Warrington Central - Liverpool Lime Street 22:31 (Northern)

From BRFares, I understand the outward portion of the ticket has a validity of FIVE DAYS, therefore it would be valid from 14 January to 18 January. Break of journey on either portion "is not permitted except to change trains" but that is what I am doing in Glasgow Central, albeit with a four day wait between trains.

National Rail Enquiries gives me an itinerary with an overnight at Glasgow Central, arriving at 20:36 on the 14th as above and leaving on the 15th at 04:28 on the Virgin West Coast service to Wigan. Is there anything that says I must take the first available train the next morning, or that I must continue the next day and not another day within the ticket's validity?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wirewiper

>>> Break of journey on either portion "is not permitted except to change trains" <<<

This means you are supposed to travel on from the Interchange station by the next available service.

Not getting the first one the next day is pushing the boundary of what is allowed, but could be considered "reasonable" given the early hour and that onward travel is not possible in the same day. But you would have to argue that with anyone that has the authority to check your ticket and who challenges you. Travelling four days later cannot be considered "reasonable".

Status
Not open for further replies.