• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cal Sleeper coach in siding near Shap Summit

Status
Not open for further replies.

EltonRoad

On a trip between Oxenholme and Carlisle today I saw a single Caledonian Sleeper coach in a siding just south of Shap Summit. I thought all the Sleepers were in regular use. Can anyone shed any light as to why it's there?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

To be in a siding somewhere like that suggests its developed a fault while in service and has had to be removed from the set there and then.

EltonRoad

I can now answer my own question, apparently coach 10513 set off a hot axle box at Tebay on Wednesday morning on the northbound lowland, and was detached.

I can now answer my own question, apparently coach 10513 set off a hot axle box at Tebay on Wednesday morning on the northbound lowland, and was detached.

Thought it would be something like that. Bet the passengers in that coach would have been pleased.

Cumberlandkev

Just seen a Cal Sleeper coach on the back of a low loader, northbound on the M6 near Carlisle. I assume it is the same one off for repairs.

paul1609

Established Member
Thought it would be something like that. Bet the passengers in that coach would have been pleased.

If my recent experiences are anything to go by on a wednesday evening outside the school holidays this coach would have empty especially likely if it was in the glasgow portion

Cumberlandkev

Cally Sleeper Coach 10513 is now in a siding at Penrith Station - saw it on Monday this week, still there today.
Has it been out of service since the original post when it was at Tebay in March or has it gone back into service and then developed a fault again? Anyone know?

Maxfly

Or put a wheelskate on the offending wheelset. This is what happens generally (in my experience)

Aye, your right but the plans for dealing with it were as I posted above:) Of course they are probably subject to change etc but at the moment that is the jist of it:)

Eng274

Aye, your right but the plans for dealing with it were as I posted above:) Of course they are probably subject to change etc but at the moment that is the jist of it:)

Even with a wheelskate it is still restricted to a very low speed (~5mph?) which makes getting it back to Inverness [where they are maintained] quite impractical.

DXMachina

Is it now stuck there until the next engineering possession or until someone can be persuaded to take a locomotive out at 2am and drag it at 5mph to the next place of refuge?

I'm guessing there are real problems with trying to route a walking-pace service without seriously messing up profit-making trains

Maxfly

Is it now stuck there until the next engineering possession or until someone can be persuaded to take a locomotive out at 2am and drag it at 5mph to the next place of refuge?

I'm guessing there are real problems with trying to route a walking-pace service without seriously messing up profit-making trains

stuck there till they either replace the axle or get it on the back of a lorry to take it back here :)

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Sorry to drag this off topic, but was the recent announcement of government funding for the sleeper to cover the cost of heavy refurbishment of the Mk.3s, or the commissioning of entirely new stock?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sorry to drag this off topic, but was the recent announcement of government funding for the sleeper to cover the cost of heavy refurbishment of the Mk.3s, or the commissioning of entirely new stock?

It was assumed that it would cover the cost of a heavy refurb as the money wasn't felt to be sufficient to build a new fleet of coaches (at least enough to replace the existing fleet on a one for one basis). However seeing as the Scottish Government has now committed that money towards the water industry it's unknown whether the UK government will still contribute the £50m that it promised as the Scots are no longer matching it (which was the requirement for the UK £50m).

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Not quite true - the Scottish £50m is still on the table, the use of the money for water infrastructure is effectively a loan of the money to avoid it sitting around for a few years doing nothing; it is still available for the Sleeper at the appropriate future time.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not quite true - the Scottish £50m is still on the table, the use of the money for water infrastructure is effectively a loan of the money to avoid it sitting around for a few years doing nothing; it is still available for the Sleeper at the appropriate future time.

I stand corrected.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
To be fair to you, the "loan" aspect of it hasn't been heavily publicised yet. I had to be told of that aspect myself last week by someone directly involved!

Eng274

Is it not something like 15mph when dragged and 5mph over points?

Section D4 of this RGS standard stipulates the speed restrictions according to wheel layout and axle load.

For a mk3 I make it 30mph maximum speed, but 3mph walking speed in sidings, so it would still be a time consuming affair to move it back up the road. The speed over points is dictated by the operating instruction of the wheelskate design.

GNERman

Established Member
Section D4 of this RGS standard stipulates the speed restrictions according to wheel layout and axle load.

For a mk3 I make it 30mph maximum speed, but 3mph walking speed in sidings, so it would still be a time consuming affair to move it back up the road. The speed over points is dictated by the operating instruction of the wheelskate design.

Many thanks for that. I was basing my estimations on the time when 60040 got dumped at Northallerton and had to be dragged back to Toton on a wheelskate...

Eng274

Many thanks for that. I was basing my estimations on the time when 60040 got dumped at Northallerton and had to be dragged back to Toton on a wheelskate...

Locos are radically different due to axle weights and co-co bogie layout involved. Although I was told about a Eurostar that ran all the way from brussels (?) To london with a seized axle due to a locked brake I think. Needless to say a wheel skate was out of the question!

marks87

Established Member
Picture on Flickr (not my pic) showing the wheel skate - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricardo4eyes/6907395288/ Coach E as well, which I think is STD (Glasgow portion), so at least it was only plebs who had to be shifted ;) (Or semi-plebs, if the seated passengers are full plebs...)

Also from that pic, something I've never noticed before on a Mk3 - there's two red lights flanking the corridor connection. Can these be used in lieu of a flashing tail-lamp on the trailing vehicle?

Cumberlandkev

Cally Sleeper Coach 10513 is now in a siding at Penrith Station - saw it on Monday this week, still there today.
Has it been out of service since the original post when it was at Tebay in March or has it gone back into service and then developed a fault again? Anyone know?

I was passing Penrith station earlier and the coach has gone - anyone know how, road or rail?

EltonRoad

Picture on Flickr (not my pic) showing the wheel skate - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricardo4eyes/6907395288/ Coach E as well, which I think is STD (Glasgow portion), so at least it was only plebs who had to be shifted ;) (Or semi-plebs, if the seated passengers are full plebs...)

Also from that pic, something I've never noticed before on a Mk3 - there's two red lights flanking the corridor connection. Can these be used in lieu of a flashing tail-lamp on the trailing vehicle?

Yes indeed, see attached photo as the Sleeper passes Corrour. (Interesting shot by the way (yours that is))

Attachments

• TL_001.jpg
    TL_001.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 66

marks87

Established Member
Yes indeed, see attached photo as the Sleeper passes Corrour.
Interesting, thanks. Since this thread seems to have drifted slightly into regulations territory anyway, does anyone with knowledge of these things know if there's a reason why the built-in tail lights aren't used more commonly?
(Interesting shot by the way (yours that is))
Alas, as I said in my post, 'tis not mine. Credit goes to Richie B. on Flickr (whoever he may be!).

Status
Not open for further replies.