• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Calais Anytime Return: No Restrictions during Olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherJ

I'm going to France for a day trip to Boulogne-sur-Mer on Friday, I'm going to use the £33.90 London Terminals - Calais + P&O Anytime Return ticket.

I've used the combined SE + P&O Calais ticket many times in the past and I know it's an Open Anytime Return but I just need to be reassured there are no restrictions and it's still being sold during the Olympic period? Under the normal SE timetable the first train from Stratford Intl was at 07:49 arriving in to Dover Priory at 09:02, however under the 24hr Javelin timetable it's now possible to get a train almost 2 hours earlier at 05:42 with a change at Ashford Intl to be in Dover for 07:00 - meaning it's possible to get an even earlier ferry and allow more time in France.

I'll be buying my SNCF tickets on the day when I reach Gare de Calais Ville, I also plan to have a trip to Étaples and back on the loco hauled BB67400 diesels and Corails on Intercités.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

simonm

Sounds great fun - I was there last month on a school trip. Let us know how it goes!!

RJ

Established Member
I'm going to France for a day trip to Boulogne-sur-Mer on Friday, I'm going to use the £33.90 London Terminals - Calais + P&O Anytime Return ticket.

I've used the combined SE + P&O Calais ticket many times in the past and I know it's an Open Anytime Return but I just need to be reassured there are no restrictions and it's still being sold during the Olympic period? Under the normal SE timetable the first train from Stratford Intl was at 07:49 arriving in to Dover Priory at 09:02, however under the 24hr Javelin timetable it's now possible to get a train almost 2 hours earlier at 05:42 with a change at Ashford Intl to be in Dover for 07:00 - meaning it's possible to get an even earlier ferry and allow more time in France.

I'll be buying my SNCF tickets on the day when I reach Gare de Calais Ville, I also plan to have a trip to Étaples and back on the loco hauled BB67400 diesels and Corails on Intercités.

There won't be any restrictions on the sale or usage of the Calais tickets because of the Olympics - it remains valid as an Anytime Day Return as ever.

richw

Veteran Member
Do whatever you can to time yourself travelling on p&o spirit class ferrys. They are vastly superior to the pride class ferries. Also amazingly comfortable and smooth even on a rough day as I found a few weeks back

ChristopherJ

Do whatever you can to time yourself travelling on p&o spirit class ferrys. They are vastly superior to the pride class ferries. Also amazingly comfortable and smooth even on a rough day as I found a few weeks back

Indeed. When I was returning from Paris in February I was lucky enough to sail on the new Spirit of France no more than just a day after she entered commercial service. Absolute gorgeous vessel. :D Everything on board still had that strangely satisfying 'new' smell about it... <D

1l-image.jpg

Lrd

Established Member
The Sun were doing an offer a few weeks a go ( it may still be going) where you can get day return foot passenger travel on PO Ferries, it has to be on either Spirit of Britain or France and I think it is only Sunday to Tuesday for the £1 offer.

www.poferries.com/sun

Status
Not open for further replies.