• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Calais to Paris High Speed Line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNER 91128

Does anyone know if the proposed new high speed line from Calais to Paris, avoiding Lille is still going to happen? Don't know what it was going to be called.

I find a potential journey time from London to Paris in 1hr 50mins quite a prospect if this ever were to happen.

Are there any substantial new high speed lines being built in France or the rest of Europe atm?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I think this must be the Amiens cut-off you are thinking of. No idea if it will ever happen, though - it's very much a long term plan and there just isn't the money available at the moment.

jopsuk

Veteran Member

A60K

I believe the Amiens cut-off is in the provisional plan for around 2025-2028. The next LGV I think is the Atlantique extension beyond Le Mans, and after that closing the gap between Perpignan and Montpellier.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The RFF website has excellent details of all the new line projects, available in English.

Two lines under construction now, the extension of LGV Est to Strasbourg and the Nimes-Montpellier bypass. Another two funded and about to start: the LGV SE Atlantique (Tours - Bordeaux) and the LGV Bretagne- Pays de Loire from Le Mans to Rennes.

Several others in detailed planning, including Montpellier -Perpignan, Poitiers-Limoges, LGV PACA to Nice, and the West / South branches of the LGV Rhin-Rhone.

The LGVs south of Bordeaux to Tououse and Irun are in the early stages of planning, roughly similar to where HS2 was 2 years ago. Interestingly, if you drive down the A62 from Bordeaux to Toulouse you will see signs everywhere saying LGV NON! Anyone know French for NIMBY?

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
with the line to Irun, presumably this (rather than via Barcelona) will be the faster Paris-Madrid route once the Spanish lines are completed as well? At the momennt the lines in spanish Euskadi are all either broad or narrow gauge. I wonder what sort of regular journey time will be achievable on that route- and also for London-Madrid, once the southern interconnection around Paris is built.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
with the line to Irun, presumably this (rather than via Barcelona) will be the faster Paris-Madrid route once the Spanish lines are completed as well? At the momennt the lines in spanish Euskadi are all either broad or narrow gauge. I wonder what sort of regular journey time will be achievable on that route- and also for London-Madrid, once the southern interconnection around Paris is built.

It will be the quickest route Paris - Madrid. Journey time about 5 1/2 hrs (8hrs London) depending on stops.

Although I hear from a chum working on the feasibility that RFF/SNCF are going cold on the idea of the southern Paris link.

cle

Established Member
I can't wait for the Montpellier - Perpignan link, it will connect up the network very nicely.

What would be the journey time from Paris to Barcelona I wonder?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I can't wait for the Montpellier - Perpignan link, it will connect up the network very nicely.

What would be the journey time from Paris to Barcelona I wonder?

About 4h15 if it was non-stop, which is unlikely, so expect it to be nearer 5h. But it's at least a decade away.

There's still a lot of work to do on the Spanish side, rumours are that the opening planned for this December will be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.