• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Calculating Diverging Curves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom B

Established Member
Calculating Diverging Curves

This is something which is often needed during route construction but not that many people seem to know about. That included me until I happened to think of a quite simple solution to the problem, after I happened across a mathematical question on an AS paper which is almost identical to the BVE problem.

Full guidance which hopefully should be clear to anyone with a basic understanding of maths...

http://www.brj.railuk.org/Calculating Diverging Curves.pdf

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
That is the formula I have used in the spreadsheet, the diverging distances being calculated every 25m for a constant radius curve.

Things get a bit more complicated though if both the running and diverging lines are curved and the radii are changing (look at the mess I made of the last junction on the Clarendon route!!).

Tom B

Established Member
I didn't know about the spreadsheet - sorry.

As for two different radii... work out the value for the displacement of the main line from the x axis and also the displacement of the branch from the x axis and subtract them should work?

Dennis

Established Member
Cockfosters said:
I didn't know about the spreadsheet - sorry.

As for two different radii... work out the value for the displacement of the main line from the x axis and also the displacement of the branch from the x axis and subtract them should work?

For constant radii it does work as you have described but when the radii of either is varying then things get a little more tricky....

Tom B

Established Member
Ooouok.

That's even trickier... I suppose it would be a case of making a new model for every 25m with the new values of the radius and then adding the previous values on, if you know what I mean?

Or two circles, one

x ^ 2 + (y - r1) ^ 2 = r1

then you use that to find d1 and then use

(x - 25) ^ 2 + (y - r1 - d1) ^ 2 = r2

to find d2.

Dennis

Established Member
Cockfosters said:
Ooouok.

That's even trickier... I suppose it would be a case of making a new model for every 25m with the new values of the radius and then adding the previous values on, if you know what I mean?

Or two circles, one

x ^ 2 + (y - r1) ^ 2 = r1

then you use that to find d1 and then use

(x - 25) ^ 2 + (y - r1 - d1) ^ 2 = r2

to find d2.

or just give up and stick to constant radius curves until the diverging one(s) are out of sight (or hidden by conviniently placed objects)!

micky515

Does anybody know where I can get the smooth curves objects now, as the site doesn't appear to be available now. Thanks in advance. Am new to building routes and am trying to learn all I can at moment.

Mick.

Tom B

Established Member
The site does seem to be down. Check your email shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.