• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Calculating refund for no first class with season ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyesbkz

Where the following part of the NRCoT applies, and a season ticket is held, how exactly is the refund calculated? It's unclear which first class and standard class fares will be used.
31. Travelling in standard class accommodation with a first class Ticket
31.1 If you have a first class Ticket and the train service you use is shown as offering first class accommodation at www.nationalrail.co.uk, but when you travel first class accommodation is not provided or is otherwise fully occupied, you may claim a refund. The minimum refund to which you will be entitled will be the difference between the price of the first class Ticket purchased and the cheapest valid standard class fare available on the service you used.
31.2 If you hold a first class Season Ticket, the minimum to which you will be entitled will be a refund of the difference between the first class and standard class fare for the journey concerned.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
If train is advertised as having first class and doesn't (or it is declassified) if using a season ticket the amount payable is the difference between the Standard Anytime Single and a First Anytime Single.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If train is advertised as having first class and doesn't (or it is declassified) if using a season ticket the amount payable is the difference between the Standard Anytime Single and a First Anytime Single.
Where does it say that?

lyesbkz

Well, I have just heard back from my claim today. It seemed an odd amount, but upon further investigation CrossCountry have paid out the difference between 1/464 of the first class annual season ticket and 1/464 of the standard class annual season ticket (the same way they calculate the cost of a journey for Delay Repay).

gray1404

Established Member
I think I might have been wrong in my earlier post actually. I think I might have described the way they calculate the refund if you hold a First Anytime ticket and first class is not available when it should be.

Is it an Annual season ticket you hold?

lyesbkz

I think I might have been wrong in my earlier post actually. I think I might have described the way they calculate the refund if you hold a First Anytime ticket and first class is not available when it should be.

Is it an Annual season ticket you hold?

Yes. What confused me even further was that they have used today's prices to calculate the refund due, rather than the prices at the time the ticket was purchased!

Status
Not open for further replies.