• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Calder Valley line improvement works

Status
Not open for further replies.

superkev

Established Member
Yes but I hear they only needed to build it because there added a signal half way or so down the existing platform to protect the existing crossover.
They could have had the signal at the platform end and had a new or resited crossover. The local council should have refused then listed building consent.
K

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Monkeyhead

Regarding Hebden Bridge, didn't they have the original lift shafts boarded up? Have the built brand new ones, or converted the old ones to be modern. I suspect it'll be the former, but the latter would've been nice (and easier? Maybe not I suppose)

matacaster

On Moderation
In todays Yorkshire post, Chris Grayling has personally committed to bringing high speed rail to Bradford!

Unfortunately, he also confessed a couple of weeks ago he knew nothing about railways. The projected cost when determined will focus his mind and perhaps water down his commitment and definition of high speed rail to one involving two separate stations and a 10 mph increase in line speed!

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Rail isn't a local authority matter, whereas roads are. All funding decisions for rail in England are taken by the DfT, even in London, hence why the Croxley rail link stalled.

The real reason, which is pretty obvious but incredibly cynical, is there are a lot more marginal seats in the London commuter belt than there are in Lancashire or Yorkshire.
The Croxley rail link scheme was killed off - very sensibly - by the Mayor of London and TfL.

deltic08

On Moderation
So why is it called the A1 then in parts? And the rest of it is the A1(M). It's either a full motorway or it isnt. Anyway, that's taking it way off topic. The Calder Valley should be getting exactly the same improvements as the main TP route via Standedge .
You are contradicting your own statement. Yorkshire to the Northeast is full motorway, the A1(M)

deltic08

On Moderation
It's very simple. In London most people travel to work by train and use railways for leisure pursuits too. In other parts of the country a far larger percentage of people travel to work by road. Therefore when London invests in transport infrastructure, it spends most of the money on rail while other parts of the country invest far more in road based transport.
Only because more railways were closed in the sticks by Beeching so we have to commute by car. I would much prefer to travel by rail but we don't have a station anymore and the nearest railheads are not convenient to get to.
Now is the time to reinstate railways. The recent reinstatements in Scotland are a good example. First year estimate passenger footfall achieved in three months to Alloa and Galasheils and still growing.

Sceptre

The Croxley rail link scheme was killed off - very sensibly - by the Mayor of London and TfL.

Because the government wanted to place the responsibility for cost overruns on TfL, even though it was the fault of Herts County Council that it overran in the first place.

driver_m

Established Member
You are contradicting your own statement. Yorkshire to the Northeast is full motorway, the A1(M)

There is still a section in Yorkshire that is plain A1. Use Google maps and you'll find it.

I love the pedantry on this forum. Up there with the best grammar Nazis that populate many comment pages . Make a serious point about the poor investment up here and someone has to find a real niggly nitpick.

Anyway, there are quite a few stations listed in the weekly notices for lengthening I'll have a look if anything new is in there and post to keep this on topic .

Last edited:

deltic08

On Moderation
There is still a section in Yorkshire that is plain A1. Use Google maps and you'll find it.

I love the pedantry on this forum. Up there with the best grammar Nazis that populate many comment pages . Make a serious point about the poor investment up here and someone has to find a real niggly nitpick.

I don't need a map, I travel it regularly. The poster originally said that Scotch Corner to Tyneside was not motorway. I corrected that post by saying it is. It has somehow expanded to Yorkshire to Tyneside which is still motorway all the way even from the south boundary of South Yorkshire. I did not say by the A1.

It is not nick picking but correcting an incorrect assumption , even made by you.

driver_m

Established Member
I don't need a map, I travel it regularly. The poster originally said that Scotch Corner to Tyneside was not motorway. I corrected that post by saying it is. It has somehow expanded to Yorkshire to Tyneside which is still motorway all the way even from the south boundary of South Yorkshire. I did not say by the A1.

It is not nick picking but correcting an incorrect assumption , even made by you.

I said Yorkshire. Look at the bit just south east of Pontefract. A1. Not A1M. A1. And correct me if I'm wrong but Ponte Carlo is in deepest Yorkshire. I know what an A(M) is as I've travelled on the Mancunian Way enough times .And what I know it's not is a proper bonafide Motorway. So grow up trying to score points and being clever.

Geeves

Established Member
I am sure its already posted but Friday 19th of October will be the final day for Hebden Bridge, Milner Royd, Halifax and Bradford Mill Lane signal boxes with all control going to the Halifax work station in York ROC. That will see York ROC reach its Western limit interfacing with Preston PSB (at Hall Royd Junction), which will eventually be Manchester ROC.

Get your photos while you can as they are probably likely to be nothing more than rubble with in a few hours of closure!

Last edited:

Greetlander

I am sure its already posted but Friday 19th of October will be the final day for Hebden Bridge, Milner Royd, Halifax and Bradford Mill Lane signal boxes with all control going to the Halifax work station in York ROC. That will see York ROC reach its Western limit interfacing with Preston PSB (at Hall Royd Junction), which will eventually be Manchester ROC.

Get your photos while you can as they are probably likely to be nothing more than rubble with in a few hours of closure!

If they’re reopening Halifax platform 3, then perhaps the space previously occupied by Halifax box will make the perfect space for a platform 4 bay. Not that one is needed. Yet.

I’ll get my coat.

superkev

Established Member
If they’re reopening Halifax platform 3, then perhaps the space previously occupied by Halifax box will make the perfect space for a platform 4 bay. Not that one is needed. Yet.
I’ll get my coat.
Nice if some entrepreneur would turn Halifax box into a bar/cafe. With the bus station possibly moving down there it was probably viable before all the recent disruption which has left other station bars struggling.
K

deltic08

On Moderation
I said Yorkshire. Look at the bit just south east of Pontefract. A1. Not A1M. A1. And correct me if I'm wrong but Ponte Carlo is in deepest Yorkshire. I know what an A(M) is as I've travelled on the Mancunian Way enough times .And what I know it's not is a proper bonafide Motorway. So grow up trying to score points and being clever.
Now who is nit picking. You should come down off your arrogant high horse and read post #102 slowly and take it in. I didn't say it was A1(M) all the way. It is motorway from Sheffield to Gateshead.

For your information, A1(M) is a proper 6 lane motorway and for your information goes from south of Pontefract all the way to Gateshead.

I was not trying to score points, just correcting a very wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

snowball

Established Member
For your information, A1(M) is a proper 6 lane motorway and for your information goes from south of Pontefract all the way to Gateshead.
The Doncaster bypass is also part of the A1(M) and is not 6 lanes.

deltic08

On Moderation
The Doncaster bypass is also part of the A1(M) and is not 6 lanes.
That is why I just said motorway and not specified A1(M) as I knew it only went as far south as Pontefract as 6 lanes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric

I’ll get my coat.

Where is the new hourly Leeds - Bradford - Halifax stopper going to go?

matacaster

On Moderation
Where is the new hourly Leeds - Bradford - Halifax stopper going to go?

Is there going to be a new platform 3? ie two existing ones on island + new one on original station buildings currently the childrens centre.

Is Halifax platform 3 still going to happen? Since it’s been years since it was announced I assumed it had been shelved like everything else seems to have been.

Sceptre

It's still in the Calderdale Masterplan, but its construction is contingent on various property purchases.

superkev

Established Member
Is Halifax platform 3 still going to happen? Since it’s been years since it was announced I assumed it had been shelved like everything else seems to have been.
Cant see any point myself as theres a turnback siding currently used by a handfull of services. Perhaps replacing the west end bay at Sowerby Bridge would allow some new possibillities

superkev

Established Member
This rather nice feature has been placed next to the Jubilee refreshment rooms Sowerby Bridge by the friends of sowerby bridge station. 20181008_175257.jpg It is hoped a dedicated war memorial can be done for 11th 11th but Network rail have been much less than helpfull.
K

Ianigsy

Yes but I hear they only needed to build it because there added a signal half way or so down the existing platform to protect the existing crossover.
They could have had the signal at the platform end and had a new or resited crossover. The local council should have refused then listed building consent.
K

Having passed through HB a couple of times in recent weeks, I think the issue is that as things stand, the station doesn't have starting signals as such but there's a signal at the Halifax end of the Manchester platform to allow the odd peak extra to reverse back onto the Halifax line or into the reversing siding. There's a new signal at the Halifax end of both platforms - presumably this will allow more flexible operation at times of disruption with trains able to depart eastwards from the Manchester platform while the Halifax platform is also occupied.

The lift shafts are in the only place they can realistically be - next to the steps either side of the subway, given the staggered platforms.

One thing I’d love the Calder valley to get is a service to Huddersfield.
The amount of people who work in Huddersfield/go to uni there and live in littleborough, Todmorden, hebden Bridge, mytholmroyd and sowerby Bridge would surely make a Rochdale-Huddersfield service worth while? Why hasn’t this ever been done or even mentioned?
I live in Todmorden and to get to Huddersfield is an absoulte pain.

Spartacus

Established Member
The amount of people who work in Huddersfield/go to uni there and live in littleborough, Todmorden, hebden Bridge, mytholmroyd and sowerby Bridge would surely make a Rochdale-Huddersfield service worth while? Why hasn’t this ever been done or even mentioned?
I live in Todmorden and to get to Huddersfield is an absolute pain.

Probably lack of paths, units and platform space at Huddersfield. I didn't think it would be too bad changing at Halifax? It could be interesting to see how a Vic-Vic via Diggle, Brighouse and Hebden would work though.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
I live in Todmorden and to get to Huddersfield is an absoulte pain.

Most people just change at Brighouse and wait the twenty or so minutes for the next one to Huddersfield. I can see what you mean though.

Status
Not open for further replies.