• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Caledoinan Railway are showing on there website a diesel operating weekend on Sat 17 & Sun 18 August 2019.

Just over a week to go and not much information. Timetable/Tickets/Traction?

They have a Class 26 & 27 serviceable i believe. As nice as it would be to see and ride behind these, is there going to be anything else?

Never been to this railway, would like to go but it's quite an expense if nothing much happening.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
Caledoinan Railway are showing on there website a diesel operating weekend on Sat 17 & Sun 18 August 2019.

They have a Class 26 & 27 serviceable i believe. As nice as it would be to see and ride behind these, is there going to be anything else?

Never been to this railway, would like to go but it's quite an expense if nothing much happening.
I'm the same quandary, would like to go, but it will involve a trains, planes and possibly automobiles to get there from the South East of England!

D.K.TAYLOR

Pleg website says the 26 and 27 working plus 08046 + industrial doing b/Van's no t/t as yet

Tayside Blue

As far as I know the 26 and 27 will be taking it in turns to run BoD-Brechin and return on Sat and Sun. There should also be brake van rides at BoD I think. Over the last couple of weeks the 26 and 27 have both worked Diesel Saturday turns, so they should both be ok for the weekend to the best of my knowledge.

With any luck one of the diesel group members will post full timetable details once finalised, but i've been told that trains start at 09:00 from BoD and will then depart hourly. From Brechin the departures should be on the half hour. They probably need to make sure that enough volunteers are available to cover everything before things are finalised for certain.

Last edited:

Highlandspring

Established Member
Not really a Gala though.
It’s not being marketed as a ‘gala’ but as a diesel operating weekend, i.e. two days of diesel running rather than just the usual Saturday albeit with a few extras for added interest. It’s not trying to compete with the Severn Valley etc..

Basically the same set up as last year -
  • Trains hourly on the hour from Bridge of Dun, on the half hour from Brechin
  • Trains run 0900 - 2030 on Saturday, 0900 - 1730 on Sunday
  • D5314 and D5370 alternating on branch line trains, with some double heading and top and tail running
  • 08046/12093/YEC211 on brakevan rides and ‘driver for a tenner’ at Bridge of Dun station
  • Cab rides availabke on branchnline locos for £10
  • On train bar with selection of local craft beers from 71 Brewery Dundee
  • Free bus link between Bridge of Dun and Montrose railway station

Last edited:

EE Andy b1

Established Member
It’s not being marketed as a ‘gala’ but as a diesel operating weekend, i.e. two days of diesel running rather than just the usual Saturday albeit with a few extras for added interest. It’s not trying to compete with the Severn Valley etc..

Basically the same set up as last year -
  • Trains hourly on the hour from Bridge of Dun, on the half hour from Brechin
  • Trains run 0900 - 2100 on Saturday, 0900 - 1730 on Sunday
  • D5314 and D5370 alternating on branch line trains, with some double heading and top and tail running
  • 08046/12093/YEC211 on brakevan rides and ‘driver for a tenner’ at Bridge of Dun station
  • Cab rides availabke on branchnline locos for £10
  • On train bar with selection of local craft beers from 71 Brewery Dundee
  • Free bus link between Bridge of Dun and Montrose railway station

Which is what i called it in the first post but PLEG that I was referred to showed down as a Gala, which I was referring to again. Not a gala.

Otherwise it is what it is! Thanks

Journeyman

Established Member
Looks pretty good, I've been thinking of going there for a while so this is tempting me.

Status
Not open for further replies.