• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper at Glasgow

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
Planning a journey, and seen the sleeper from Glasgow to Fort William. How would one book onto this in the seated portion, assuming it's possible?

Also, would it be feasible to get off the ferry at 14:02 on Armadale and get the bus outside the terminal at 14:15?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Seat reservations for the seated sleeper ‘day train’ are hard to come by.

Caledonian Sleeper sell Advance tickets from Glasgow to Fort William which can sometimes work out cheaper when combined with a ticket to Mallaig.

My local ticket office managed to do a workaround to issue a reservation when I was using a walk on ticket on the Sleeper ‘day train’. You could also try calling Caledonian Sleeper.

As for the bus they will usually wait a short time for a late running ferry but my advice would be to have a plan B in place just in case.

I’ve done the Skye circular both ways. When doing it clockwise i stayed overnight in Mallaig and took an early ferry. This allows a later bus from Armadale in the event of problems. If going anti-clockwise then I’ve normally got to Armadale mid afternoon. If the bus from Kyle to Armadale fails then you can get a Citylink service to Fort William and pick up the train from there.

Do check the bus timetable carefully. The summer timetable usually starts in May but it varies depending on school holidays.

Also be aware of disruption on the ferry. The summer timetable gives more options than the winter one but t

Last edited:

_toommm_

Established Member
Seat reservations for the seated sleeper ‘day train’ are hard to come by.

Caledonian Sleeper sell Advance tickets from Glasgow to Fort William which can sometimes work out cheaper when combined with a ticket to Mallaig.

My local ticket office managed to do a workaround to issue a reservation when I was using a walk on ticket on the Sleeper ‘day train’. You could also try calling Caledonian Sleeper.

As for the bus they will usually wait a short time for a late running ferry but my advice would be to have a plan B in place just in case.

I’ve done the Skye circular both ways. When doing it anti-clockwise i stayed overnight in Mallaig and took an early ferry. This allows a later bus from Armadale in the event of problems. If going clockwise then I’ve normally got to Armadale mid afternoon. If the bus from Kyle to Armadale fails then you can get a Citylink service to Fort William and pick up the train from there.

Do check the bus timetable carefully. The summer timetable usually starts in May but it varies depending on school holidays.

Also be aware of disruption on the ferry. The summer timetable gives more options than the winter one but t

I've just managed to catch the last seat on the sleeper from Crewe that evening - saves me trekking up to Glasgow on the TPE and trying to sleep for 5 hours in a hotel. My itinerary is currently as follows:

Friday night start:
23:50 Crewe to Fort William
10:15 Fort William to Mallaig (WCRC)
13:30 Mallaig to Armadale the (Ferry)
14:15 52 to Armadale Road End
16:03 916 Armadale Road End to Kyle of Lochalsh
17:13 Kyle of Lochalsh to Inverness

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Your risk here is missing the bus at Armadale. I’ve not checked the timetable but if you did miss the bus I doubt you’d make it to Kyle for the 17:13 which is the last train of the day.

This is a remote area of the country and taxis could also be problematic.

You should be able to get a ferry back across to Mallaig and get to Fort William where you might be able to get a coach to Inverness.

I’ve done the Skye circular at least 6 times, both ways in both summer and winter. I’ve never had a problem with trains, buses or ferries but I always have a plan B in my pocket in case something goes wrong between Mallaig and Kyle.

_toommm_

Established Member
Your risk here is missing the bus at Armadale. I’ve not checked the timetable but if you did miss the bus I doubt you’d make it to Kyle for the 17:13 which is the last train of the day.

You should be able to get a ferry back across to Mallaig and get to Fort William where you might be able to get a coach to Inverness.

I’ve done the Skye circular at least 6 times, both ways in both summer and winter. I’ve never had a problem with trains, buses or ferries but I always have a plan B in my pocket in case something goes wrong between Mallaig and Kyle.

If it does go wrong I could always ferry back across to Mallaig - it would be a shame but not the end of the world. The bus is the tightest bit, and possibly relying on the Jacobite too, although I don't know how reliable that is though...

Haywain

Veteran Member
When doing it anti-clockwise i stayed overnight in Mallaig and took an early ferry. This allows a later bus from Armadale in the event of problems. If going clockwise then I’ve normally got to Armadale mid afternoon.
I think your clock is going backwards!

Last edited:

Statto

Established Member

Here's the timetable 50/51/52, seems complicated as depends what time of year & day your travelling, you can get off the ferry & get the bus changing at Broadford without using the 916 which i presume is Scottish Citylink https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s...and/Highlands/TT Skye Summer_Apr 2019 Web.pdf

route101

Established Member
Planning a journey, and seen the sleeper from Glasgow to Fort William. How would one book onto this in the seated portion, assuming it's possible?

Also, would it be feasible to get off the ferry at 14:02 on Armadale and get the bus outside the terminal at 14:15?

Thanks in advance :)

I phoned CS up for reservation on seated sleeper to Glasgow from FW

Esker-pades

Established Member
When I bought a flexible return from Edinburgh to Helensburgh stations, I was to use the sleeper on the way back (Helensburgh Upper to Edinburgh). I rang the sleeper company and reserved a seat. That might be the best way to do things.

Status
Not open for further replies.