• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian sleeper berth supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.

cambsy

On Moderation
I did a dummy Caledonian sleeper supplement for Sept 4th to see what the price would be, it came up with 100 for solo berth with en suite or non en suite, Will this go up if booked end of August? And how come both are the same price? If price stays the same once new stock running, then to me, this a reasonable price for berth supplement.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I did a dummy Caledonian sleeper supplement for Sept 4th to see what the price would be, it came up with 100 for solo berth with en suite or non en suite, Will this go up if booked end of August? And how come both are the same price? If price stays the same once new stock running, then to me, this a reasonable price for berth supplement.
I believe all Caledonian Sleeper berth tickets and upgrades are now on demand-based pricing. The only 'fixed' price is if you have an existing ticket of some form, be that National Rail, Interrail etc., and you choose to go seated.

So yes, the price might well increase by the end of August. I don't quite understand CS' pricing structure with reference to the respective levels of each of their products. I have experienced it several times on the new pricing structure that, for two people, getting 2 First Class Solo berths is less expensive than getting 1 Standard Class Shared berth. Madness.

alistairlees

Established Member
I believe all Caledonian Sleeper berth tickets and upgrades are now on demand-based pricing. The only 'fixed' price is if you have an existing ticket of some form, be that National Rail, Interrail etc., and you choose to go seated.

So yes, the price might well increase by the end of August. I don't quite understand CS' pricing structure with reference to the respective levels of each of their products. I have experienced it several times on the new pricing structure that, for two people, getting 2 First Class Solo berths is less expensive than getting 1 Standard Class Shared berth. Madness.
The OP said they were buying a supplement. These are fixed in price, so why are you talking about the price increasing? You can see here: http://www.brfares.com/#expert?orig=INV&dest=EUS. Supplements are those that are route 00350 "With Travel Ticket". To be clear, it will still be £100 in August.

Flying Snail

Established Member

You need a 1st class travel ticket to book an en-suite Club solo/twin but there is no discount on the Classic solo/twin for 1st class ticket holders. If you hold a Std class ticket you can only book the Classic rooms.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You need a 1st class travel ticket to book an en-suite Club solo/twin but there is no discount on the Classic solo/twin for 1st class ticket holders. If you hold a Std class ticket you can only book the Classic rooms.

That's just going to cost them sales. Why not consider it a Standard Class train?

Flying Snail

Established Member
That's just going to cost them sales.

What sales are they going to loose out on?

Why not consider it a Standard Class train?

It is a train with 4 classes of accommodation, what ever way you word it they need to differentiate between them by price.

I personally would benefit from a lower price supplement but it should be noted that from BR up to 2017 the supplements were for a shared berth in Std and a solo berth in 1st at similar prices. Std class wanting solo occupancy had to pay double for a supplement so approx twice the price of 1st solo supplement.

Supplements are a niche product anyway, mainly used by Interrail/Britrail holders from what I've been told with most sales being all inclusive fares or flexipass for regulars.

The CS booking system has been hit and miss with lengthy spells where supplements were unavailable to book through the transition period/s so they are obviously not that bothered with that market anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.