• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

mralexn

I noticed that 1M16 has just been cancelled after being held in Edinburgh for around 3 hours

does anybody have any more information as to whats going on?, as the only information that I can find is that it is due to a "train fault"

also what will happen to the Pax? I would imagine they would all be put on the 0540 to Kings Cross,

I'd imagine too that this cancellation will mess up the service tomorrow, as stock and staff will be out of position etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
It is normally the first east coast train that takes the passengers with them sleeping onboard until it leaves. Match sticks not provided!

dvboy

Established Member
Northbound sleeper broke down near Harrow last night too, not sure what happened to it.

34D

Established Member
Northbound sleeper broke down near Harrow last night too, not sure what happened to it.

If it wasn't for the ego-boost it gives to scottish politicians, the sleeper would be scrapped and replaced with a couple of overnight pendolinae.

marks87

Established Member
As a general question, if "train fault" means "the 90 is stuffed", is there any reason why it couldn't continue to London with one of the 67s up front?

Ferret

Established Member
As a general question, if "train fault" means "the 90 is stuffed", is there any reason why it couldn't continue to London with one of the 67s up front?

A 90 worked the ECS south this morning from one of the gen reports I've seen. In British Rail days, I'm sure a replacement loco of some sort would have been found!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In British Rail days, I'm sure a replacement loco of some sort would have been found!

It does of course help that there were a hell of a lot more of them around in BR days (nab an 87 or an 86 from Polmadie perhaps) and a lot more drivers trained to drive those spare locos and the routes they would need.

crewmeal

So is a full service both northbound and southbound on the cards tonight? (I include the Fort William section as well)

Ferret

Established Member
It does of course help that there were a hell of a lot more of them around in BR days (nab an 87 or an 86 from Polmadie perhaps) and a lot more drivers trained to drive those spare locos and the routes they would need.

It's called progress!

rail-britain

Established Member
The rolling stock had developed a ETH fault, and so there would be no air conditioning / heating on departure from Edinburgh, which is not acceptable
If the faulty coach can be identified then it would normally be shunted out and left behind, but apparently even this failed
If the loco is at fault then the spare (at Carstairs having previously taken the Edinburgh sleeper to Carstairs) could be used
A single Class 67 cannot be used on the full length sleeper, as the ETH index of the loco is lower than that of the rolling stock

island

Veteran Member
They used to burn out 201s over in Ireland on the Enterprise route by putting too high a demand on the HEP.

Status
Not open for further replies.