• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper Class 92's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CosherB

Established Member
WNXX reporting that 92014, sidelined since August last year and a visitor to Loughborough for 're-working' at Brush Traction, has been released into traffic after being hauled to Crewe by 66720. Is this the beginning of their return to the Anglo-Scottish runs I wonder ..... ;)

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Well a good time to do it would certainly be whilst both Scottish and UK parliaments are on summer break so as to cut down the number of civil servants stating the obvious, i.e. That reliability and performance isn't what it should be with these locos.

leomartin125

MOD NOTE: This post was original in a different thread.

Hi,

I have been wondering, as I saw 92014 and 92033 both move from Crewe to Willesden today, whether these could be the start of seeing 92's on Caledonian Sleeper services again? Or is this just for shunting duties? With 92014 being thoroughly tested up in Crewe area recently, I would have thought that it could be put back into regular CS service, not just limited to shutning duties to/from Euston to Wembley and vice versa...

Thanks,
Leo

CosherB

Established Member
As seen below, 92014 and 92033 both worked down from Crewe H.S. to Willesden today, but does anyone know what for? ARe they going to be reintroudced as shunters or possibly to operate the main sleeper services on the mainline once again?

https://flic.kr/p/HKEQSE

https://flic.kr/p/HN3SAn

Here's hoping it's for their return to the CS. I'd hope that, whatever was involved in the 'reworking' at Brush, has fixed their problems. I'm sure GBRf would like to see their return soon as the hire costs for the Freightliner 90s have been stacking up. Deep breath .... ;)

8A Rail

Established Member
Here's hoping it's for their return to the CS. I'd hope that, whatever was involved in the 'reworking' at Brush, has fixed their problems. I'm sure GBRf would like to see their return soon as the hire costs for the Freightliner 90s have been stacking up. Deep breath .... ;)
92014 (with 66720) has worked 6L48 yesterday and 6X41 / 6L48 today.

Carntyne

There's a 92 parked at Pomade this afternoon. Not CS livery however, grey/yellow.

Class 66's

I'm no expert:(, or have any insight into the work that was carried out at Brush, but it may have been something to do with the complex electrical systems that are required for working through the Channel Tunnel:idea:. I may be wrong, so please, don't take this as fact.

GB

Established Member
92014 is still undergoing mainline testing hence why 6X41 Dagenham - Garston and 6L48 Garston - Dagenham have been running with a 66 DIT.

route:oxford

Established Member
It would be even better to see the Class 89 in Caledonian Sleeper livery hauling the Highland or Lowland.

Not much appears to have happened to it in the last 5 years or so though, so unsure if it will ever be mainline operable ready again.

childwallblues

Established Member
It would be even better to see the Class 89 in Caledonian Sleeper livery hauling the Highland or Lowland.

Not much appears to have happened to it in the last 5 years or so though, so unsure if it will ever be mainline operable ready again.

The ACLPG seem to think it will return to service.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Last restoration update was February 2011 - more than 5 years ago.

Have a look at the news on their site instead... Two articles from this year.

http://www.aclocogroup.co.uk/news.php
89001 Control Circuits Energised

Posted on 15th May 2016 01:59

89001 Control Circuits Energised
Following recent work by volunteers and staff from both Bralesford Engineering Services and HNRC we have successfully re-commissioned the Control and Field Convertor Batteries on 89001. Having the batteries in an operational condition is an important step in that it enables the locomotives' battery chargers and a number of other control systems on the locomotive to be energised and tested.The picture shows the control desk at #1 end energised on 14th May while the locomotive microprocessor controls were undergoing testing. Work on the bogies and brake systems on the 89 is also progressing.
As items are serviced and inspected the considerable number of documents relating to the design and maintenance of the locomotive in the ACLG’s possession are being reviewed to ensure that they reflect the condition the locomotive is now in and to establish a thorough understanding of the locomotive for maintenance and fault finding.

Class 89 Restoration

Posted on 28th April 2016 09:50

The AC Locomotive Group (ACLG) is pleased to announce progress on the restoration of locomotive 89001 and the imminent commencement of major repair work.
Over the last few months ACLG volunteers have completed an assessment of the condition the locomotive, reconditioned the battery systems, removed the obsolete NRN radio system from the cabs and commenced refurbishment of the cab interiors.
The locomotive will shortly be moved to the workshops of Harry Needle Railroad Company (HNRC) for the first stage in heavy overhaul works to be undertaken. The overhaul work will concentrate on two key areas; bogies and traction power equipment. Bogie work will comprise of an ultrasonic inspection of the locomotive axles and the locomotive being lifted to allow the removal of traction motors 4-6 for overhaul (traction motors 1-3 have already been removed and overhauled). The traction power equipment overhaul work will require the removal of the locomotive roof after which the field convertor cubicles, rheostatic brake stacks additionally the cab air conditioning units will both be removed. Removal of the field convertor cubicles will enable the repair of field convertors 1, 3, 4 and 6 to be completed; ACLG volunteers having already removed field convertors 2 & 5 by hand and both of these units have already been overhauled. Overhaul of the traction motors will be undertaken by Bowers Electrical and the overhaul of the field convertors will be undertaken by Fletcher Moorland.
In addition to the volunteer technical and project management team from within the ACLG Tim Bralesford (Bralesford Engineering Services) will be providing project management and technical services. Tim has unrivalled knowledge of the 89 as he worked on its design, construction and commissioning in the 1980s and its overhaul and re-commissioning in the 1990s.
The restoration of the Class 89 is a major project with considerable complexity and as such a date cannot be set when the locomotive will be returned to operational condition.
A technical ‘walk through’ of the locomotive (including some of the equipment to be repaired) is on Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxbv_-QCa6A
Funding for the repairs to 89001 is being provided from funds generated by the mainline operations of locomotives 86101, 86401 and 87002, the sale of locomotive 86213 and from donations to the AC Locomotive Group.

captainbigun

Work on 89001 is well underway, it's not going to be quick, it's a complex prototype loco with ad-hoc modifications all over the place. A lot of reverse engineering required. Time (and money) will heal, but don't expect to see it hurtling anywhere in the near future.

E_Reeves

Established Member
I often see multiple class 92's moving from Willesden to Crewe. All in CS livery, often put with a FL 90.

CosherB

Established Member
92014 and 92010 working Crewe to Crewe for a second day, testing the ETS systems on 92014. Pulling a rake of 9(?) maroon Mk1s.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Didn't think of that Peter, also using the ECS from Euston to the stabling facility probably wouldn't have been a long enough journey to give 92014 a substantial test.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

CosherB

Established Member
Didn't think of that Peter, also using the ECS from Euston to the stabling facility probably wouldn't have been a long enough journey to give 92014 a substantial test.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Well I did see a photo of the consist in Preston!

Status
Not open for further replies.