• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I don't know whether this has been discussed, currently the Inverness Sleepers are diverted via the Forth Bridge, what is happening to those passengers from stations affected by the engineering works?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I think 66742 was the latest loco to succumb to the dreaded wheelflats.
92014 also suffered them taking the Carstairs portion ECS (5C11) out to Waverley on Tuesday night and was caped at Carstairs (passengers from Edinburgh bussed there instead of 1C11). 92014 has been sat in Mossend since - no doubt in a very long queue for the wheel lathe at Craigentinny. 92014's disablement was the reason for 87002 heading up on Wednesday night.
That would make sense on the 66 - one of my sources told me that it was making a horrible rythmic thumping as it pulled into Perth on Monday night, and the train had been losing time even before then.

He appreciates everyone's responses to his feedback on here by the way, and says perhaps when CS cancel at Edinburgh they could do a little bit more to explain the restrictions they're operating under.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I don't know whether this has been discussed, currently the Inverness Sleepers are diverted via the Forth Bridge, what is happening to those passengers from stations effected by the engineering works?

I think that passengers from Dunblane, Stirling and Falkirk are just expected to make their own arrangements to travel on the Glasgow or Edinburgh sleepers. It isn't as if the 0500 arrival time or post midnight departure is very conducive to a good night's sleep anyway.

DuncanS

Yip, signs up saying that passengers at impacted stations should make their way to Edinburgh/Glasgow and start their sleeper journey from there.

TimboM

Established Member
That would make sense on the 66 - one of my sources told me that it was making a horrible rythmic thumping as it pulled into Perth on Monday night, and the train had been losing time even before then.

He appreciates everyone's responses to his feedback on here by the way, and says perhaps when CS cancel at Edinburgh they could do a little bit more to explain the restrictions they're operating under.

I think CS are a little in the "damned if they do, damned if they don't" in these situations - at 3am there'll be a good few passengers who aren't interesting in detailed explanations or what they may perceive as 'excuses' and just what to know what arrangements are being made; others like your friend would maybe appreciate some more detail about why the situation they're in is realistically the only option available. I guess the answer, if there is one, is to make sure the staff are as informed in possible and can then tailor the info accordingly to the needs of the specific passenger(s). From the reports of Monday night doesn't sound like they were too far off the mark.

TimboM

Established Member
47749 on 1Y11 Euston to Fort William this morning

92033 on 1S26 Euston to Glasgow with 66549 on the subsequent 5S26 drag to Polmadie.

Thought it might need a hired-in Shed on the Glasgow/Polmadie ECS when I saw 47749 had headed north to Fort William and 87002 was showing "X" on TOPS first thing this morning...!

ScottDarg

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member

marks87

Established Member
On its own?

The West Highland Line shouldn't be too much of a challenge. Especially also with it being a lighter load than to Inverness.

The problem with the Highland Main Line is that the steep inclines up to Schlod and Drummochter can cause problems for even the most powerful of traction. So using a 66 (and, in time, a double-73) is a way of making sure there's enough "oomph".

TimboM

Established Member
The West Highland Line shouldn't be too much of a challenge. Especially also with it being a lighter load than to Inverness.

The problem with the Highland Main Line is that the steep inclines up to Schlod and Drummochter can cause problems for even the most powerful of traction. So using a 66 (and, in time, a double-73) is a way of making sure there's enough "oomph".

The WHL shouldn't be too much of a challenge for the average 47 - but that particular 47 isn't renowned for its reliability, which is what I think raised eyebrows this morning. Hobson's Choice though.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The WHL shouldn't be too much of a challenge for the average 47 - but that particular 47 isn't renowned for its reliability, which is what I think raised eyebrows this morning. Hobson's Choice though.

Kind of suggests that something is up with 66742 as well doesn't it since you would otherwise have expected it to pilot the 47 on one of the legs. Seems an odd choice to send 47749 to Fort William rather than Aberdeen. I guess it depends on driver availability.

TimboM

Established Member
Kind of suggests that something is up with 66742 as well doesn't it since you would otherwise have expected it to pilot the 47 on one of the legs. Seems an odd choice to send 47749 to Fort William rather than Aberdeen. I guess it depends on driver availability.

66742 has wheelflats too - suffered them last Monday night working 1M16 Inverness to Waverley (with 47749 ironically). Suspect there's a LONG queue at Craigentinny for the lathe. Path in for 92014 to go there later tonight to get its sorted - it's been out of action since Tue night (17th).

Originally when it was called up late notice last night they thought 47749 would be delayed getting to Waverley from Polmadie due to an engineering possession and hence 1Y11 was expected to be late departing. That was probably the reason for the loco allocations as the Aberdeen portion leaves before the Fort William so would've made sense to use the remaining available 73/9 on that first. As it transpired, the possession ended early and 47749 was able to take 1Y11 away Right Time - although arrived at Fort William 20 Late in the end.

Last edited:

ScottDarg

Good shot of yours of 742 on 5M11 last night at the Central - hard to believe that this is the first time a GBRf liveried 66 has been on this working!

Thank you. It was the first as far as I can tell at least, done a bit of looking before I added it to the description and couldn't find any indication that a GBRf shed has worked it before. Someone here may be able to confirm that though.

From what I can gather from postings on WNXX, 742 has one last stint on Glasgow ECS as 5M11 tonight before 87002 takes over again.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Stock for the northbound highlander (5S95) currently being held in Kilburn Up Loop to await either Platform 1 or Platform 15 to become available at Euston.

Edit: Now in P15

Last edited:

GW43125

Established Member
Reported on CS twitter that SB Aberdeen lounge is locked OOU tonight.

swapmeetpete

I would like to run an informal poll among users of the seated sleeper, hope that’s ok.

If you were travelling around the time the new stock is being introduced, which would you pick?

1 Give me one more trip on the old stock.

2 Can’t wait, let me try the new stock.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I would like to run an informal poll among users of the seated sleeper, hope that’s ok.

If you were travelling around the time the new stock is being introduced, which would you pick?

1 Give me one more trip on the old stock.

2 Can’t wait, let me try the new stock.

I would probably pick the Mk3 - and try to get an end cabin.

najaB

Veteran Member

If specifically the seated sleeper, then new stock. I don't find the existing seats particularly comfortable and I've done it often enough not to be nostalgic about it.

BRX

Established Member
I'd want a last go on the old stock whether I was seated or in a cabin. However, that's without knowing how comfortable the new seats will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.