• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

swapmeetpete

Thanks for the responses. I fear the new seated coach will manage to be less comfortable than the current MkII, so I’ll be using the old stock as long as possible.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TimboM

Established Member
Thanks for the responses. I fear the new seated coach will manage to be less comfortable than the current MkII, so I’ll be using the old stock as long as possible.
You'd hope at £x million per coach they're comfortable...! There's also the wider comforts that should be better, e.g. the temperature control, the toilets working/not smelling, the coach actually being able to be used etc etc...

TimboM

Established Member
Rare outing for GBRf-liveried 92032 on the Down Lowlander (1S26) tonight it would appear (as just took in 5S95)

92010 on 1S25

Established Member
You'd hope at £x million per coach they're comfortable...! There's also the wider comforts that should be better, e.g. the temperature control, the toilets working/not smelling, the coach actually being able to be used etc etc...
Now now, it'll be the same Alsthom "maintenance" ...

nlogax

Established Member
If you were travelling around the time the new stock is being introduced, which would you pick?

New stock. I've not found Mk3s sleeper cars particularly comfortable. Granted the Mk2s are very comfy - I love the standard class sleeper seats - but that stock is getting on and it's time for something new.

DuncanS

There was a lone branded Sleeper seating or lounge coach sitting alone on Platform 17 at Waverley circa 22:30 on Friday night - the full train had just come noisily into the station so it stood out as I was heading for 18.

ScottDarg

There was a lone branded Sleeper seating or lounge coach sitting alone on Platform 17 at Waverley circa 22:30 on Friday night - the full train had just come noisily into the station so it stood out as I was heading for 18.

One of the lounge cars from the Aberdeen portion was out of use from the outset so was taken off at Edinburgh and left in the mid-road before all portions joined and continued on to London.

Last edited:

marks87

Established Member
One of the lounge cars from the Aberdeen portion was out of use from the outset so was taken off at Edinburgh and left in the mid-road before all portions joined and continued on to London.

Did the Fort William lounge go to Euston instead?

It’s certainly not difficult to leave it in the formation - just uncouple the seats alone.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Did the Fort William lounge go to Euston instead?

It’s certainly not difficult to leave it in the formation - just uncouple the seats alone.

Yes, but it wouldn't be in the right place - the Fort William sleepers are in the middle southbound - and how do you source a replacement lounge for people going to Fort William.

marks87

Established Member
Lowlander not running from Edinburgh tonight, with passengers being bused to Carstairs. "Technical issue" according to the Caley Sleeper Twitter.

TimboM

Established Member
Bit of a 'treat' for anyone on 1S25 tonight - 92028 is taking the train. First main trunk run since....
...erm, better not mention the last time. It was over 2 years and a full refurb ago, though.

92018 on 1S26.

InOban

Established Member
But things went downhill from then. The Inverness portion broke down between Dalwhinnie and Kingussie, blocking the HML.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Bit of a 'treat' for anyone on 1S25 tonight - 92028 is taking the train. First main trunk run since....
...erm, better not mention the last time. It was over 2 years and a full refurb ago, though.

92018 on 1S26.
When did 92018 come up given that it was on the Edinburgh portion of the up lowland Friday night. Was it dragged up DIT?

Established Member
Are they not still double-heading or was it a coaching stock fault?
It's been a single 67 for ages now, and recently the one in CS blue but minus branding. The only double in a while that I'm aware of was the 66+47 on the night the 66 got a wheelflat and the southbound train got cancelled at Waverley because of Storm Ophelia.

najaB

Veteran Member
It's been a single 67 for ages now, and recently the one in CS blue but minus branding.
Thanks. I've not been to Inverness in a while, last time I was up they were still doubling - pretty sure it was a 47+66 combo then as well.

TimboM

Established Member
It's been a single 67 for ages now, and recently the one in CS blue but minus branding. The only double in a while that I'm aware of was the 66+47 on the night the 66 got a wheelflat and the southbound train got cancelled at Waverley because of Storm Ophelia.
Apologies for being pedantic ;) ...but 67003 is in Arriva Train Wales blue. The two ones that were in CS livery were 67004 - still in the livery (for now) stored at Toton and 67010, which after a couple of livery changes is now DB Red (+ branding) these days, and was one of the Inverness hire-in locos not too long ago.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I guess loadings in the seated coaches isn't the greatest at the moment due to the number of adverts floating around with "max fare £50" between a date in November & a date in December (think it was the 15th, but need to check when the advert pops up again)

TimboM

Established Member
When did 92018 come up given that it was on the Edinburgh portion of the up lowland Friday night. Was it dragged up DIT?
Nope - it was just working very hard!

Due to 92010 and 014 both being scuppered by wheelflats, the Highlander locos were also working half the Edinburgh Lowlander portion.

So... one loco was doing 5C11 (Edinburgh portion ECS Polmadie-EDB) -> 1C11 back to Edinburgh -> 0M16 light engine back to Edinburgh -> 1M16 to Euston
...the second loco was doing 1S25 Highlander to Waverley -> 0B26 light engine to Carstairs -> 1B26 Carstairs-Waverley Lowlander portion -> 5B26 ECS back to Polmadie.

This happened Wed, Thu and Fri nights last week. 92014 was released from Craigentinny on Fri night, so was able to work the Carstairs portion last night "as normal".

So after you saw 92018 on the Lowlander to Carstairs, it ran back to Waverley, took 1M16 to Euston and hence was in London for 1S26 north last night.

Freightliner 90042 was the other loco putting in the hard yards on the 'reverse' workings.

Status
Not open for further replies.