• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We've started moving at a greater rate of knots now but I'm braced for delays further on as we've lost our path by now I suppose. These things happen.

@paulcleaver will do!

Expect a nice slow run on the slow lines all the way to Euston now - RTT is showing an ETA of 09.37 but I expect that will get worse.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cf111

Established Member
Expect a nice slow run on the slow lines all the way to Euston now - RTT is showing an ETA of 09.37 but I expect that will get worse.
Terminated 0936. I was surprised as I thought, like yourself, we'd be crawling in at half 10. Oh well, it's a cheap trip if nothing else!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Terminated 0936. I was surprised as I thought, like yourself, we'd be crawling in at half 10. Oh well, it's a cheap trip if nothing else!

Ran fast line all the way from Rugby - that really surprises me as nothing generally gets in the way of beardies plastic tubes!

TimboM

Established Member
Aboard 1M16 awaiting departure after enjoying some haggis. It was very nice but I am still mourning the loss of the Inverness sauce which was served under First and I have yet to find in any shops before, since or after despite living in Inverness!

Didn't get the loco but I think it's a red 67.
Loco was 67020 if you didn't find it out later - although it's an EWS one rather than red.
92018 from Waverley.

Gonzoiku

Let me know if you find any.

The last time I found any was in the Victorian Market at Hastie and Dyce, or Duncan Fraser. I cant remember which. But it was made by Moniak Castle in an octagonal jar. Looking at their website, it looks like theyve stopped manufacturing it. I used to love that stuff.

Heresy, I know, but you could try as a substitute Cumberland sauce, a name which has been banned from local culinary vocabulary since the mid 18th century.

Moniack Winery closed a few years back, production moved to Lyme Bay Winery. In Dorset! That is to say, they use the name on their own products.

GZ

Sleeper69

Some unusual calling points for the northbound highlands tonight.

Attachments

• 20171120_210726.jpg
    20171120_210726.jpg
    938.3 KB · Views: 204

paulcleaver

Heresy, I know, but you could try as a substitute Cumberland sauce, a name which has been banned from local culinary vocabulary since the mid 18th century.

Moniack Winery closed a few years back, production moved to Lyme Bay Winery. In Dorset! That is to say, they use the name on their own products.

GZ
I had to resort to Harvey Nicholls's Cumberland Sauce as an alternative, and very nice it was too. Shame about Moniak closing down. I guess that's the last we'll see of Inverness sauce then, unless anyone knows otherwise.

LeylandLen

As of 1830 tonight ..
Virgin Trains...Poor weather affecting services in north west England until the end of the day

Heavy rain is flooding the railway between Preston and Lancaster, meaning trains cannot run between these stations.

(Going by the local forecast and weather radar, I cant see things improving soon..)

GW43125

Established Member
As of 1830 tonight ..
Virgin Trains...Poor weather affecting services in north west England until the end of the day

Heavy rain is flooding the railway between Preston and Lancaster, meaning trains cannot run between these stations.

(Going by the local forecast and weather radar, I cant see things improving soon..)

Down line blocked, up line open was the last I heard. Apparently the down line is completely underwater now, and it's started chucking it down with rain. Could be interesting.

Maps suggest 1M17 is examining the line, so we await further update.

I'm hearing rumours now that it's shut altogether.

Last edited:

skifans

Sounds like no one really knows what's going on. Northern tweeted an hour ago saying the disruption had cleared but friends at Person say there is know sign of this and still a huge queue for buses.

ScottDarg

Signallers notes on diagrams are all on the down between Preston and Lancaster. First note north of Preston reads NOGO which suggests the down is still shut.

1M44 Shieldmuir - Warrington Postal train is proceeding through on the up, slowly but surely.

Could be a case of 1M11/1M16 getting through with substantial delays. Worst-case is probably 1S25/1S26 getting terminated at Preston.

Last edited:

cf111

Established Member
I've had a full delay-repay payment processed to my card already, according to the statement it went in yesterday which is very impressive because I submitted the online about half an hour after alighting! I did ask for it to go into my bank account rather than onto the credit card but that's not a major issue.

ScottDarg

Looking like the Up Line may have just been closed, 1M03 Shieldmuir - Warrington Royal Mail was starting to proceed after 1M44 and has now backtracked and is heading back north on the Down.

ScottDarg

Line still appears to be blocked in both directions.

1M11 currently being held at Glasgow Central

1S26 currently being held at Euston

1S25 currently being held at Crewe

rick pike

Just wondering. But how hard is/would it for the lowlanders to run via EMCL to Wembley and for the Highlanders to be dragged over the S&C at short notice?

Floydlover25

Line still appears to be blocked in both directions.

1M11 currently being held at Glasgow Central

1S26 currently being held at Euston

1S25 currently being held at Crewe

They appear to be moving now:-

1M11 just left Glasgow 66 late

1S25 just dep Crewe 54 late

1S26 left Euston 64 late

Scotrail84

Established Member
Just wondering. But how hard is/would it for the lowlanders to run via EMCL to Wembley and for the Highlanders to be dragged over the S&C at short notice?

Absolutely no chance for various reasons.

ECML - No drivers in place for crew changes, no locos to do the drags from Wembley, possessions on the ECML etc. All needs planned well ahead.

The S and C - Sleeper drivers and guards do not sign the route so at least 2 route conductors are needed per train and christ knows where you get them from at short notice. Its not wired so a diesel loco would be needed, one powerful enough to haul a load 16 up the gradients an power the ETH (is there a diesel loco capable of doing that?) If no ETH can be supplied then thats a very long time for the train to run with no power and that can't happen. Do any signal boxes close overnight on the S and C? It would also mean a reversal at Preston.

Scotrail84

Established Member
I think 1S26 is in trouble, showing on wrong line at Northampton with freights ahead. Could be a fault with the mapping right enough

LA50041

Established Member
Southbound highlander terminated Preston, passengers all turfed off into cold at 5am to await delayed virgin trains

LeylandLen

Why? 5am at preston on 1M16 is only 24 minutes late?

It looks as though the stock from 1M16 proceeded as 5M16 ECS to Wembley departing 0716 a good 2 hours after 1M16 arrived in Preston .

I assume it must be to do with safety which meant passengers had to be de-trained at Preston

Status
Not open for further replies.