• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

InOban

Established Member
I just checked for next Wednesday. Headline Easyjet fares are a few £ less than an advance, but that leaves out the cost of getting to and from the airports. I suspect airline fares have risen because of the temporary withdrawal of Ryanair.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BRX

Established Member
Sadly on London to Scotland thats true of rail as a whole not just the sleeper. The prices being demanded for off peak returns and relatively short notice advances just aren't competitive with what the airlines offer. Cant help but think thats why passenger figures are dropping.

I thought passenger numbers had risen quite healthily over the past ten years or so, relative to airlines, on the main London-Scotland routes?

TimboM

Established Member
Last night at Euston 5S95/1S25
Interesting article here for anyone wondering what the Jellicoe Express was: http://ww100scotland.com/news/vital-jellicoe-express-service-to-be-commemorated/

In summary a 717 mile additional service ran in World War 1 to get personnel up from London (Euston) via other major stations to Thurso (and on to the big naval base at Scapa Flow). Commemorating its 100 year anniversary this year. I'm also assuming this is why 2x CS-liveried 73/9s (966/968) were put on the Inverness portion last night rather than the less-photogenic / off-brand EWS 67007!

I'm fairly certain the headboard wasn't moved to the lead loco (92033) for the journey north, but then again no-one will have probably seen a headboard in the dark...! It was on 73966/968 as they pulled into Inverness, though.

There's a post on GBRf's Facebook page with some photos of 92043 and the 73/9s:

Delighted to have supported Caledonian Sleepers who last night re-ran the Jellicoe Express. This train originally ran during the first world war from London to Thurso to transport sailors to Orkneys naval base.
On the night of 5th December GBRf loco 92033 worked the Jellicoe Express from London to Edinburgh where locos 73966 and 968 took over.

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
All WHL trains are proactively cancelled for tomorrow because of storm Caroline. I assume the FW will be run through to Central and passengers bussed? Or will most be put on the Inverness portion and taxied from Kingussie?

TimboM

Established Member
All WHL trains are proactively cancelled for tomorrow because of storm Caroline. I assume the FW will be run through to Central and passengers bussed? Or will most be put on the Inverness portion and taxied from Kingussie?
I believe they're keeping the 2x 73/9s again on the Inverness tonight (early hours of tomorrow) due to the weather forecast (as the 73s have ploughs whereas the hired-in 67 doesn't). Not heard anything regarding the WHL/Fort Bill though.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Wires down bwteeen Carlisle and Lockerbie, Ecclfechan to be exact. 1S25 being held at Carlisle.

Scotrail84

Established Member
The plan is to diesel haul 1S25 from Carlisle to beattock where the loco will detach.

1S26 still remains at Preston for the time being.

Scotrail84

Established Member
1S26 and 1M16 stuck at Preston and Carlisle respectively due to 4M49 hitting metal sheeting which has become stuck underneath the loco and is fouling the up line as well. No ETD for either train.

1S25 due to depart from Carlisle very shortly with 66 302 dragging it through to beattock summit.

Scotrail84

Established Member
1S25 on the move. 183 late. Power restored and the 66 stood down.

1S26 and 1M16 on the move. Both will get stopped at shap and Penrith. The freight with the obstruction is still stuck.

Scotrail84

Established Member
1S26 still at shap, 1M16 still but behind the disabled freight well over 4 hours late.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I was just about to post that 1M16 is presumably still stuck between Penrith and Oxenholme, but Scotrail84 beat me to it.

VT estimating it will be 09:00 at the earliest, until single line working is in place, so I'm guessing it will be a long time before 1M16 reaches London. I'm guessing it'll be lucky to get there before midday, if at all.

TimboM

Established Member
1S25 on the move. 183 late. Power restored and the 66 stood down.

1S26 and 1M16 on the move. Both will get stopped at shap and Penrith. The freight with the obstruction is still stuck.
The weather making for another challenging night on the beds!

1M16 is stopped immediately behind 4M49 and 1S26 was 3rd in the queue on the Up. 6C01 MOD train (1st in the Down Q) has just got through past 4M49 and 4S83 (2nd in the Down Q) now progressing albeit very slowly, so would appear the Down is now passable at least at caution. 1S26 will be next to make its way carefully past once 4S83 has got by it would appear. (EDIT: 1S26 now on the move)

Not sure if Single Line Working past 4M49 is feasible for the Up trains (including 1M16) using the crossovers at Clifton and Harrison's Sidings?
(EDIT: @voyagerdude220 simultaneous post confirms SLW is likely to be used)

1S25 185 Late into Edinburgh.

TimboM

Established Member
1S26 still at shap, 1M16 still but behind the disabled freight well over 4 hours late.
1S26 has just managed to get past the obstruction - c.168 Late at Penrith but held there (possibly to let 1S30 past).

1M16 still stuck behind the Freightliner with a Pendo behind it too. Thunderbird loco on its way from the North - but not sure what that's going to be used for - possibly the beds once the Pendo's reversed out of the way? Don't think 1M16 can crossover to the Down for Single Line Working from where it is without reversing.

Update: appears 1R20 is back in Penrith and the Thunderbird is now at (or near) the rear of 1M16.

Last edited:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
VT have said "The Carlisle Class 57 locomotive has been requested by Network Rail for the movement of 4M49."

(4M49 being the "stranded" freight which encountered the overheard power line issues, causing the problems running trains)

cambsy

On Moderation
Fort Bill portion still at Edinburgh, wouldn’t be surprised if it is capped, could run up once winds die down to form tonight’s Fort Bill-Edinburgh portion.

TimboM

Established Member
VT have said "The Carlisle Class 57 locomotive has been requested by Network Rail for the movement of 4M49."

(4M49 being the "stranded" freight which encountered the overheard power line issues, causing the problems running trains)
By the looks of the track diagrams the 57 (304 I think) will need to drag 1M16 back out of the way first before it can get to the F/liner. It should then be able to pull 4M49 back into Eden Valley Loop.
If 66302 was available to drag 1S25 earlier, I would've thought that may have been a better bet...?

cambsy

On Moderation
Amend previous post, Fort bill portion just left Edinburgh, about 205 mins late, be interesting to see how it fares with all other services to fort Bill cancelled.

cambsy

On Moderation
Virgin saying disruption till 12, can see on realtime trains about 4 trains backed up in Carlisle already, looks like a fun day, I recon 1M16 will be capped Preston and passengers sent forward to Euston on virgin Pendo’s and the beds run empty stock to Willesden depot for tonight’s beds.

Scotrail84

Established Member
1S26 was looped at Penrith to let a 1S30 past, then a freight, then 1S32 abd 1S34. Incredible as 1S26 has an 86 on the front capable of 100mph. Won't make much difference now as there's a failed freight going up beattock summit.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
1S26 will probably be further delayed... Message 20 @ 08:26 - Network Rail now advise that freight service 6S43 has been declared a failure at Greskine / Beattock (LOC-CRS) effectively blocking the line between PRE & GLC/EDB. CSL2 reason changed to severe weather to reflect the change in circumstance and scale of problems.

TimboM

Established Member
1S26 was looped at Penrith to let a 1S30 past, then a freight, then 1S32 abd 1S34. Incredible as 1S26 has an 86 on the front capable of 100mph. Won't make much difference now as there's a failed freight going up beattock summit.
When it was held/looped at Preston I thought it might be pending a decision on whether it'd be caped/what was happening with 1M16 etc. I could understand letting the TPE (1S30) past which was right behind, but as you say letting other and especially a freight past is distinctly odd.

Will be interesting how the stock gets sorted to have sets at the right end - assuming at some point 1S26 will still get to Glasgow and 1M16 (or its stock) to London, maybe...

TimboM

Established Member
1S26 will probably be further delayed... Message 20 @ 08:26 - Network Rail now advise that freight service 6S43 has been declared a failure at Greskine / Beattock (LOC-CRS) effectively blocking the line between PRE & GLC/EDB. CSL2 reason changed to severe weather to reflect the change in circumstance and scale of problems.
6S43 now showing as sat in the loop at Beattock Summit by the looks of it - does that mean it's been moved out of the way, or still blocking the line?

Scotrail84

Established Member
Out of the way now. 1S26 let out before a virgin trains 1Z37 special from Carlisle to Glasgow. I wonder if 1S26 will be looped at Lockerbie to allow passage

TimboM

Established Member
Out of the way now. 1S26 let out before a virgin trains 1Z37 special from Carlisle to Glasgow. I wonder if 1S26 will be looped at Lockerbie to allow passage
Nope - just scooted past Lockerbie loop. Keeping the Virgin special at bay.

1M16 now in Carlisle - presumably going to be caped and then move the stock south when they can? 4M49 still blocking the line at Penrith. 1Z99 Thunderbird sat in Hardendale Quarry presumably ready to run bang road to rescue 4M49 as and when it can move.

cambsy

On Moderation
The Virgin isn’t a special, it’s VSTP due to all VT and TPE cancelled Preston-Glasgow both ways, quite a few capped at Carlisle so causing a Jam, so presume they are just getting sets back up to Glasgow etc. To try get things running again ASAP.

JModulo

1S26, 264L into Glasgow Plat 11 with 86101 at 1142. Full length as 1B26 portion was cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.