Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by LeylandLen, 29 Jul 2015.

1. Scotrail84

Scotrail84 Established Member

AFAIK 1M16 is getting dragged back to Carlisle and terminated.

2. Scotrail84

1S26 will work all the way into Glasgow.

3. Scotrail84

1S26 was looped at Penrith to let a 1S30 past, then a freight, then 1S32 abd 1S34. Incredible as 1S26 has an 86 on the front capable of 100mph. Won't make much difference now as there's a failed freight going up beattock summit.

4. voyagerdude220

voyagerdude220 Established Member

1S26 will probably be further delayed... Message 20 @ 08:26 - Network Rail now advise that freight service 6S43 has been declared a failure at Greskine / Beattock (LOC-CRS) effectively blocking the line between PRE & GLC/EDB. CSL2 reason changed to severe weather to reflect the change in circumstance and scale of problems.

5. TimboM

TimboM Established Member

When it was held/looped at Preston I thought it might be pending a decision on whether it'd be caped/what was happening with 1M16 etc. I could understand letting the TPE (1S30) past which was right behind, but as you say letting other and especially a freight past is distinctly odd.

Will be interesting how the stock gets sorted to have sets at the right end - assuming at some point 1S26 will still get to Glasgow and 1M16 (or its stock) to London, maybe...

6. TimboM

6S43 now showing as sat in the loop at Beattock Summit by the looks of it - does that mean it's been moved out of the way, or still blocking the line?

7. Scotrail84

Out of the way now. 1S26 let out before a virgin trains 1Z37 special from Carlisle to Glasgow. I wonder if 1S26 will be looped at Lockerbie to allow passage

8. TimboM

Nope - just scooted past Lockerbie loop. Keeping the Virgin special at bay.

1M16 now in Carlisle - presumably going to be caped and then move the stock south when they can? 4M49 still blocking the line at Penrith. 1Z99 Thunderbird sat in Hardendale Quarry presumably ready to run bang road to rescue 4M49 as and when it can move.

9. cambsy

cambsy Member

The Virgin isn’t a special, it’s VSTP due to all VT and TPE cancelled Preston-Glasgow both ways, quite a few capped at Carlisle so causing a Jam, so presume they are just getting sets back up to Glasgow etc. To try get things running again ASAP.

10. JModulo

JModulo Member

1S26, 264L into Glasgow Plat 11 with 86101 at 1142. Full length as 1B26 portion was cancelled.

11. Furrball

Furrball Member

12. Clansman

Clansman Established Member

Was booked on the Southbound Aberdeen tomorrow as well...never get a lie in but always get the cancellations. Just my luck I guess.

13. Scotrail84

The sets were supposed to be coming up empty, looks like they've changed the plans again.

14. Scotrail84

Mate, in the railway we call them specials, its quicker that spurting out VSTP.

15. Scotrail84

Aye dont I know it, as a general rule of thumb B26 will be caped if the service is running 2hrs plus late.

16. Qwerty133

Qwerty133 Established Member

Cancelling tomorrow nights southbound at this point is a bit of a **** take to be honest. How do they know what the conditions will be like in 36 hours?

17. gcmozart

gcmozart Member

The sleeper.scot website says "guests" will get an automatic refund or can claim delay/repay if booked through a 3rd party, why can't they be given the option of transferring the ticket to another service if that is their preference.

18. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

19. TimboM

I suspect it's much more to do with the severe weather last night and the fact 5M16 (the 1M16 stock) will not reach Wembley until approximately 6pm this evening. That makes it impossible for it to be serviced/cleaned etc. and turned round for either of the services tonight. Added to that are issues with staff hours - there's a good chance that those working 1M16 were heavily delayed getting to where they should be tonight (presumably London) and also wouldn't have the required rest they must have per the various regulations etc.

Consequently, it was really last night's severe weather that's lead to the northbound Highlander cancellation tonight - and as nothing will be going north tonight that unfortunately means there won't be anything coming South tomorrow night either.

As to why the Highlander has been cancelled vs the Lowlander, I expect some of it will be to do with loadings, but also the Highlander will be more susceptible to the bad weather on balance, so makes sense that if one service has to be cancelled then it's the one that has the higher chance of being disrupted.

I also expect that - depending on loadings tonight - they'll try and get passengers who still want to travel via the Sleeper on to the Lowlander and arrange onward transport from Glasgow/Edinburgh (and vice versa tomorrow night).

Not at all ideal for passengers expecting to travel on 1S25 tonight or 1M16 tomorrow night, but with the stock getting to Wembley about 7 hours after it should've done, there isn't really another feasible option.

20. TimboM

You know 1M16 (aka 5M16) is a bit late when you're trying to film it in the fading light... the following evening!

21. Fleetwood Boy

Fleetwood Boy Member

So the stock was in Carlisle. They took it all the way to Wembley, so that it could be serviced, but not in enough time to form the northbound service tonight, which means they then have to cancel the southbound the following night. I might be daft, but couldn't they have just taken it ECS north from Carlisle tonight using the booked crews, and therefore only had to cancel one journey not a round-trip? And the sleeping car crews can't count a journey to Wembley in a train fully equipped with beds as being a rest break?

22. TimboM

You'd have to take the train to Polmadie if I understand your suggestion correctly - with it arriving most likely just as the team who clean/service/prep the Lowlander rake that's supposed to be there having just clocked off - and who are resourced to deal with just the one 16-coach rake.

You'd then somehow need to find extra people to work several hours to clean/service the ECS (not going to happen at short notice); then sort locos / drivers etc. to run the Load 16 rake out to Edinburgh (bearing in mind the Lowlander is running tonight, so the 5C11 Polmadie-Waverley path/loco/driver is already being used).
    You'd then split an empty train up and work it North, possibly to come a cropper in yet more extreme weather conditions and end up with more delays/cancellations/part-rakes out of position etc.

I don't know the ins and out of the staffing so someone else can shed further light on that I expect, however I think they may actually detrain too and take the day trains down to London (or wherever). Either way, I'm fairly sure staying on the train wouldn't count as a rest period - also they couldn't be expected to sleep in used berths and they're may not have been sufficient unused ones for them anyway. One way or another they were in Carlisle an hour or so after they should have finished their (already long) shift in London.

All the staff involved including GB Sleeper Control will have had a very testing time last night - they do repeatedly do their upmost to get the beds from A to B, but sometimes the only sensible/feasible option is to get the stock, locos, staff etc. back to where they should be and start again.

23. Fleetwood Boy

Fleetwood Boy Member

What you say may well be right, just seemed odd to take it all that way south only to then leave it there missing a whole round trip. The thought wasn’t to service it at Polmadie, just leave it at Carlisle until it’s scheduled departure time tonight then use the already rostered crews to get it North then serviced at Aberdeen, etc ready for scheduled southbound journeys thereby only inconveniencing one set of passengers not two?

As you say there are presumably good reasons for what they did because they do a grand job keeping things moving in difficult circumstances.

24. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
  25. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

26. fishquinn

fishquinn Established Member Quizmaster

Hi all,

Asking on behalf of a friend; what was the coaching stock on 5M16 today?

Many thanks,

FQ.

27. MylesHSG

MylesHSG Member

Here here, its almost as if people think train operators don't want to run trains. I would not have wanted to be in CS control last night! Interestingly they didn't wait for Willesden Carriage Shed North to open at 20:00 to bring 5M16 in to Wembley depot ;)

28. LeylandLen

LeylandLen Member

29. Far north 37

Far north 37 Member

Nice video tim what loco was on the front there.

30. ScottDarg

ScottDarg Member

92018 I'm sure