• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Graham H

I am not entirely convinced by the ocean liner analogy - seems to me the reasons for travel by sleeper are different from a cruise, but it does prompt a thought. Accepting that travel via HS2 impacts mainly destinations south of Perth and if the Edinburgh and Glasgow services become (even more) uneconomic, what could be done with the spare rolling stock? Not sure if this has been covered in this thread before, but how about "cruise" services to Kyle, Mallaig and Thurso? The problem with a "cruise train" might be the need for high quality day cars to go with the sleepers.

PS - anyone know how the "Grand Hibernian" is doing?
Oh I would love the return of these 'cruise' services as operated by BR in the 1980's. The tour I was on ran from St Pancras on Friday evening with Mk1 FO stock as day coaches and Mk 3 sleepers. Window seat guaranteed as the bay of 4 was only ever occupied by two people. Superb weekend in Scotland. I suppose in those days there were plenty of spare sleepers as we were whisked north Friday to Inverness. Day coaches then continued to Wick or Thurso. Back to a hotel in Inverness. Kyle and Skye tour Sunday. Sleepers then to Aberdeen for the night. A quick trip to Dufftown on Monday and then a leisurely return to London. I cant remember if the sleepers were with us back to London as they certainly didn't go on the Dufftown trip. Also had a wonderful observation car for passenger use although I recall we took it in turns and could only access it at station stops. I suppose the modern equivalent is the weekend tours offered but all hotel based meaning for me that we leave the south at some awfully early hour on Friday. Definitely high quality as reflected by the price but well worth it with superb service all the way.

FOCTOC

Oh I would love the return of these 'cruise' services as operated by BR in the 1980's. The tour I was on ran from St Pancras on Friday evening with Mk1 FO stock as day coaches and Mk 3 sleepers. Window seat guaranteed as the bay of 4 was only ever occupied by two people. Superb weekend in Scotland. I suppose in those days there were plenty of spare sleepers as we were whisked north Friday to Inverness. Day coaches then continued to Wick or Thurso. Back to a hotel in Inverness. Kyle and Skye tour Sunday. Sleepers then to Aberdeen for the night. A quick trip to Dufftown on Monday and then a leisurely return to London. I cant remember if the sleepers were with us back to London as they certainly didn't go on the Dufftown trip. Also had a wonderful observation car for passenger use although I recall we took it in turns and could only access it at station stops. I suppose the modern equivalent is the weekend tours offered but all hotel based meaning for me that we leave the south at some awfully early hour on Friday. Definitely high quality as reflected by the price but well worth it with superb service all the way.

You'd need a remortgage to afford that kind of thing these days, certainly wouldnt be BR prices.

Highland37

Established Member
I note that if you are travelling Fort William to London with a bike, you are required to move it yourself at 0110 in the morning. Some hotel that!

Also, during the week, you can't actually get on the FW to London sleeper at Queen Street low level for some reason. Only get off.

On Moderation
I note that if you are travelling Fort William to London with a bike, you are required to move it yourself at 0110 in the morning. Some hotel that!

Also, during the week, you can't actually get on the FW to London sleeper at Queen Street low level for some reason. Only get off.
Why would you do the FW sleeper from Queen Street when there is a sleeper service from Central about half an hour earlier?

Highland37

Established Member
Because I want to travel from Fort William to Glasgow? Or, the timings of the train work better or you are meeting friends.

SideshowBob

Because I want to travel from Fort William to Glasgow? Or, the timings of the train work better or you are meeting friends.

The Glasgow Queen St call for the Fort William sleeper is pick-up only northbound and set-down only southbound. If you're travelling Glasgow - London - Glasgow, the idea is that you take the Lowlander to/from Central.

EDIT to add: Also, the thing with taking a bike from Fort William southbound is that they remove some of the coaches from the Fort William section at Edinburgh, prior to connecting the remainder to the Aberdeen & Inverness sections and taking the whole lot down to Euston. You also have to change coaches if you're in the seats heading south from Fort William. Reason being that otherwise the train would be too long for the platforms at Euston.

Last edited:

Highland37

Established Member
I realise that. It doesn't seem a great idea to me if I am meeting people, or trying to, who want to go to London with me, but live in Glasgow.

SideshowBob

I realise that. It doesn't seem a great idea to me if I am meeting people, or trying to, who want to go to London with me, but live in Glasgow.

The people you're meeting could (at least in theory) join the train at Dalmuir and head south from there...?

Highlandspring

Established Member
73966 has failed at Arrochar on 1Y11. Train terminated there, assistance will be coming from Craigentinny later to haul it south as 1B01 at 2245!

Highland37

Established Member
I could take the earlier train if I changed my work pattern but that is not easy and my relatives could travel all the way out to Dalmuir just to head back in the direction they came from, but that would be for the convenience of the railway. Easyjet it is I think.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I could take the earlier train if I changed my work pattern but that is not easy and my relatives could travel all the way out to Dalmuir just to head back in the direction they came from, but that would be for the convenience of the railway. Easyjet it is I think.

Because travelling to the airport is so much less effort than going to Dalmuir :)

Highland37

Established Member
Yes. It's much easier when you live in Pollockshields. It wins hands down over getting to Dalmuir when we all know the train even stops at Queen Street. Absurd, why can't you get on the train in Queen Street?

SideshowBob

Seems a bit drastic for the sake of a 20-25 minute journey to Dalmuir, especially if you're in town to catch the sleeper to London anyway. And won't flying make it harder still to meet people en route?

Status
Not open for further replies.