• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
How do you book the couchettes online?
I didn't actually book the couchette (just a seat), though it was an option via the Loco2 app/website so should be bookable that way. Having experienced a night in the seated cars on the way back I'd suggest getting a couchette, just to avoid the chatter of various groups who decide to stay up most of the night playing cards! There was also, disappointingly, no water in the tanks for the two toilets in my seated car. This meant that ablutions could only be performed after tip-toeing through to the neighbouring sleeping car (prior to Toulouse) or through the adjacent seated car from the Toulouse portion.

Gare d'Austerlitz is also a bit chaotic at the moment, as it is undergoing a protracted refurbishment. All in all though it's a decent experience despite the pitfalls. Though if running right through to Latour-Carol make sure you bring extra sandwiches for your breakfast, as there's nowhere to buy food other than chocolate bars there if the Bistro nearby is closed (which it was in both directions when I passed through). By the time I reached Barcelona I'd have even eaten a pot noodle if I'd been offered one!

The run down the Spanish side is breathtaking though. I can only imagine that the only reasons it doesn't crop up in "Top 20 European Railway Journeys" type lists are that (a) there's not much at the top of the hills other than views (imagine the WHL sleeper terminating at Corrour!), and (b) RENFE seem to want to keep it a secret, as it won't show up on their (or the regional Rodalies de Catalunya) journey planners.
The use of suburban EMU stock might not help, but they seem to prioritise the units with more seat padding for those services at least, and the window alignment would impress many contributors to this forum. My return journey was formed of the only graffiti-free units I saw in all the time I was there, though they do appear to clear the windows as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1M16 Inverness London Euston will be departing late tonight due the loco (67003 I believe) being delayed on return from Bo'ness where it overnighted last night after doing a rescue job on a railtour.

1M16 is diverted via Aberdeen tonight also.

Far north 37

Established Member
1M16 Inverness London Euston will be departing late tonight due the loco (67003 I believe) being delayed on return from Bo'ness where it overnighted last night after doing a rescue job on a railtour.

67003 running nearly four and a half hours late now back to inverness after being stopped at aberdeen for over 4 hours not due into inverness 20.48 now and sleeper due to leave 19.36.

I take it they werent able to the loco of the rhtt train 67004 even though it isnt running this evening.

JohnMcL7

You're right, it was 67003 that did the rescue job for the 37403 on the SRPS railtour.

Why are the services running via Aberdeen? Do you know what 67004 is doing at Inverness? I spotted it over by the containers and assumed it was on the intermodal but apparently that's still a DRS 66.

Far north 37

Established Member
67004 is working the inverness railhead treatment train at the moment.
Sleeper running via aberdeen due to the highland mainline being closed due to engineering works.

gsnedders

Established Member
67003 running nearly four and a half hours late now back to inverness after being stopped at aberdeen for over 4 hours not due into inverness 20.48 now and sleeper due to leave 19.36.

I take it they werent able to the loco of the rhtt train 67004 even though it isnt running this evening.
I presume the problem is drivers' availability and ending up at the right place?

TimboM

Established Member
Didn’t seem to go any further than inverness tc though with the highland mainline closed i assumed it would most likely not run.
Possibly... it was a manual timing entry on the system at the Terminal Complex. That said, not much gets auto-reported in that neck of the woods, so it could have gone anywhere, or not at all!

Highlandspring

Established Member
3S95 is running to Moy and back.
Possibly... it was a manual timing entry on the system at the Terminal Complex. That said, not much gets auto-reported in that neck of the woods, so it could have gone anywhere, or not at all!
There’s no auto TRUST reporting north of Larbert and Ladybank apart from the GPS derived reports from certain ScotRail units.

TimboM

Established Member
The southbound Highlander (with 92033 hauling) is running as 1Z16 (VSTP) this morning. 1M16 was cancelled at Pitlochry due to a broken rail at Dunkeld, so 1Z16 was just the ABD + FTW portions. 1Z16 left Waverley 19L due to late arrival of FTW portion (26L) then lost another 35 mins between Morecambe and Preston - was 32L at Crewe.

1Z16 at Hartford:

The northbound 1S25 (INV portion) has terminated at Edinburgh and the stock is reportedly due to run ECS to Polmadie later.

Scotrail84

Established Member
The southbound Highlander (with 92033 hauling) is running as 1Z16 (VSTP) this morning. 1M16 was cancelled at Pitlochry due to a broken rail at Dunkeld, so 1Z16 was just the ABD + FTW portions. 1Z16 left Waverley 19L due to late arrival of FTW portion (26L) then lost another 35 mins between Morecambe and Preston - was 32L at Crewe.

1Z16 at Hartford:

The northbound 1S25 (INV portion) has terminated at Edinburgh and the stock is reportedly due to run ECS to Polmadie later.

It's Wembley they need the stock, not Polmadie.

Highlandspring

Established Member
1M16 was cancelled at Pitlochry due to a broken rail at Dunkeld, so 1Z16 was just the ABD + FTW portions.
Slightly more than a broken rail but I'm sure you'll get to read all about it when the RAIB report is published.

gordonjahn

Presumably it's at Polmadie until they can get a path to Wembley (if they can)?
CS site has tonight’s NB lowlander going to Glasgow only, and the Inverness SB starting at Edinburgh.

I’d read that as the:

* NB Lowlander coming north short (the Aberdeen/Fort William portions from last night),
* NB Highlander runs as normal (last nights lowlander stock),
* last nights NB Inverness forming the SB portion starting Edinburgh,
* last nights SB from Inverness makes its way to Glasgow for servicing

By tomorrow morning, stock should be where it’s needed for the Wednesday services.

And I’m glad that having arrived on the half-length highlander at Euston this morning that I’m flying up tonight and not fighting for a berth on a half-length lowlander!

TimboM

Established Member
Presumably it's at Polmadie until they can get a path to Wembley (if they can)?
The path isn't the main problem - it's finding a spare loco (in wheelflat season) and available drivers (at least two needed with the right route knowledge; hours available etc.) - and even then it's likely to get to Wembley too late to service it prior to tonight's service.

With it being "off-peak" for the Sleeper currently, makes more sense (as has happened) for the set to stay put in Scotland, all Lowlander passengers to be squeezed on to a short-formed 1S26; and then the full set being back together in the morning at Polmadie ready for the southbound Lowlander tomorrow night (see @gordonjahn 's post as to how it all fits back together).

TimboM

Established Member
CS site has tonight’s NB lowlander going to Glasgow only, and the Inverness SB starting at Edinburgh.

I’d read that as the:

* NB Lowlander coming north short (the Aberdeen/Fort William portions from last night),
* NB Highlander runs as normal (last nights lowlander stock),
* last nights NB Inverness forming the SB portion starting Edinburgh,
* last nights SB from Inverness makes its way to Glasgow for servicing

By tomorrow morning, stock should be where it’s needed for the Wednesday services.
One slight alteration I believe - last night's NB Inverness that was taken to Polmadie this morning after being cancelled at Waverley will remain at Polmadie tonight and form the Lowlander Edinburgh portion tomorrow night. The SB Inverness set (the one that got 'trapped' last night) is on its way south currently via Aberdeen as 5M16 ECS (67003 hauling). This will be united with the passengers from Inverness (taken by road transport) at Waverley and form the full 1M16 to work south tonight.

5S96 (Lowlander ECS) has just headed into Euston with 92028 and is indeed a half-set.

Established Member
You've got to feel a bit sorry for CS on this forum.

The Highland Main Line gets shut for 24 hours through no fault of the sleeper but all comment on the incident appears on this thread because their service was (nearly) the first one affected and we all love to pore over the train's incidents.

No wonder occasional visitors on here ask if the service is so unreliable that they shouldn't use it!

gordonjahn

You've got to feel a bit sorry for CS on this forum.

The Highland Main Line gets shut for 24 hours through no fault of the sleeper but all comment on the incident appears on this thread because their service was (nearly) the first one affected and we all love to pore over the train's incidents.

No wonder occasional visitors on here ask if the service is so unreliable that they shouldn't use it!

This is a good point - equally though, I'd hope the people on the forum can see what's a sleeper issue (staff / haulage / coaches / etc) and that there haven't been many of these reports for a while (seated car excepted!). The *lack* of sleeper-specific faults is what made me happy enough to book the Monday night sleeper instead of an early flight on Tuesday though I'd have preferred a spot on the Glasgow lowlander (or Edinburgh at a push) instead of having to join the Fort William portion at Dalmuir. It's been a few years since I used the sleeper, so I was interested to see if there was any of the "running down" in the run up to new stock introduction that some people have suggested.

I didn't see it. The coaches are tired but everything worked. Yeah, we were delayed in Lancashire and that pushed us onto the slows as we neared London resulting in a 49L arrival, but I booked it knowing that even if there was a small delay, it would be better than getting up at 4.45 to fly down. It still had me in Docklands earlier than flying to Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton or Stansted (i.e. unless I wanted to spend over £500 on a return from Glasgow to City).

I'm more annoyed at Dalmuir's waiting room closing at midnight, instead of waiting for the Fort William section to come through, than any delay, but waiting room closure times are a ScotRail issue rather than sleeper again.

And then, what I lost on arrival time, I mostly made up by going HS1 to Stratford Int'l instead of the tube - not a cheap way to travel 6 miles, but averaging 60mph it is fast!

Not sure if or when I'll need to make that journey again, but I'd certainly go by sleeper again. I might book a little earlier next time though... It wasn't cheap and the fact that I can't book through third party sites any more (combining with day train) really annoyed me at the time of booking, but the move to 2x singles per return (instead of one return ticket) clearly means they have less exposure to a 2hr delay in one direction resulting in both directions being fully refunded.

GW43125

Established Member
1S26 is 90041 tonight. 92033 brought in the empties and the Edinburgh seats are locked out, carriage was dark when I saw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.