• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GW43125

Established Member
Most likely 92038. Could possibly be 92014, but my money's on 038.

(92018 is on the Southbound Lowlander tonight and 92023 on the Edinburgh-Carstairs-Edinburgh portion. Freightliner 90s are doing the Highlanders. 92038 did the southbound lowlander last night (with 018 going in the opposite direction) and it was at Wembley depot earlier (where the beds go during the day). 92014 has been having a 'breather' in Willesden last couple of days. Hence most likely you've got 92038 taking you up tonight.

Quick question: Does the 90 which takes the highland north take it south again that night?
(ie-if 90048 worked NB Highland on Wednesday night, would it then work the SB highland on Thurdsay night?

If not, what does the loco in the siding opposite P7 do?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TimboM

Established Member
Quick question: Does the 90 which takes the highland north take it south again that night?
(ie-if 90048 worked NB Highland on Wednesday night, would it then work the SB highland on Thurdsay night?

If not, what does the loco in the siding opposite P7 do?

No, it's separate locos (if I understand your question correctly). The Southbound leaves a couple of hours before the Northbound arrives so wouldn't be possible.

For example tonight, 90042 (which I'm guessing is what's sitting in the siding opp. P7) will take the Southbound out of Edinburgh at 0138 (assuming on time). 90044 will arrive just before 4am with the Northbound.

Edit: re-read your Q and I think you're asking about the FOLLOWING night. In that case the answer is yes - for this week at least...! 90042 and 90044 have been doing the Highlander and alternating each night, so last night 044 did Southbound and 042 Northbound, tonight it's the opposite - with 90042 having been parked up in Waverley during the day. However, it's not always the case - as they will need to be switched around due to locos needing routine maintenance and other operational requirements. For example a couple of weeks ago, 92044 (not one of the CS-liveried 92s) did a 'guest appearance' on a couple of the Highlander runs.

Last edited:

GW43125

Established Member
No, it's separate locos (if I understand your question correctly). The Southbound leaves a couple of hours before the Northbound arrives so wouldn't be possible.

For example tonight, 90042 (which I'm guessing is what's sitting in the siding opp. P7) will take the Southbound out of Edinburgh at 0138 (assuming on time). 90044 will arrive just before 4am with the Northbound.

Not quite, I know the NB arrives long afternoon SB, I meant:
Does it arrive on the highland, sit in siding opposite P7 all day (I always see a loco there) then come back south on that night's?

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

TimboM

Established Member
92038, for whatever reason a member of staff who works there told me on Facebook even though I never asked so there you go, there it is! :lol:

Do we tell Blindtraveler that 92038 is one of the yet-to-be-modified 92s now, or when they've made it to Glasgow? ;)

(To be fair it's been pretty reliable recently, so doubt there'll be any problems)

TimboM

Established Member
Not quite, I know the NB arrives long afternoon SB, I meant:
Does it arrive on the highland, sit in siding opposite P7 all day (I always see a loco there) then come back south on that night's?

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

Yes, that's one of normal patterns - see the Edit added to my original answer. Got what you meant eventually, too tired to grasp it first time around!!

GW43125

Established Member
Yes, that's one of normal patterns - see the Edit added to my original answer. Got what you meant eventually, too tired to grasp it first time around!!

I don't blame you for being tired! Good thing I haven the booked the same day coming back then!

GW43125

Established Member
If you're lucky you might get a bit of 92 haulage action on one of the legs :)

I'll believe a 92 on the fort bill portion when I see it :p

On a serious note, is the plan to make all electric parts 92s?

TimboM

Established Member
I'll believe a 92 on the fort bill portion when I see it :p

On a serious note, is the plan to make all electric parts 92s?

Yes, it was the plan when Serco took over the contract on 31st March 2015. GBRf who have the traction sub-contract 'acquired' six 92s from their then parent company, Europorte. Some hadn't done much for a few years. All got the shiny new sleeper livery and an overhaul and at the start of the new contract the sleepers were mostly 92-hauled...

...but to cut a very long story short (read back through this thread and here: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=131385&page=14 for more details/if you're struggling to sleep) shortly after that there were significant reliability issues and the 92s got pulled from the sleepers, with hired-in Freightliner 90s used in the interim. After lots of work and 'modifications' done at Brush Loughborough (and I believe to some of the OHLE by Network Rail in the troublesome Weaver Jnc area), the GBRf 92s are now starting to return to the sleeper services.

Where they're all up to is covered in recent posts here and on the other thread so won't repeat, but they're getting closer to being fully 92-hauled again.

The 73/9s on the North of Edinburgh portions have had a similar tale of challenges and are also in the process of being 'fixed' but are further off being sorted I believe.

GW43125

Established Member
Think it's lucky dip on the Fort Bill currently - might get 73+66 and/or a Colas 47... NOT a 92 though!

search

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Loved the banter thanks chaps! Both 92s performed quite well although we got a full service break about an hour out of Euston and a slight interuption to hotel power for about a minute then back on the move.

On the flip side however no seated buffet car service service for Edinburgh pax and the thermostat in the seats was, perhaps predictably, buggered so got a little chilly to say the least!
Contemplating a winge at them fothese things actucaaly as I could have put up with the cold coach had there been a plentyful supply of hot chock/whisky/brandy.

GW43125

Established Member
Loved the banter thanks chaps! Both 92s performed quite well although we got a full service break about an hour out of Euston and a slight interuption to hotel power for about a minute then back on the move.

On the flip side however no seated buffet car service service for Edinburgh pax and the thermostat in the seats was, perhaps predictably, buggered so got a little chilly to say the least!
Contemplating a winge at them fothese things actucaaly as I could have put up with the cold coach had there been a plentyful supply of hot chock/whisky/brandy.

Did you travel seated then? If so, what's it like, how much is the coffee etc?-thinking of a trip but would have to be seated as we're students on a budget!

On a side note-are the "day carriages" that go on the fort bill portion just standard Mk.2 TSOs?

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Did you travel seated then? If so, what's it like, how much is the coffee etc?-thinking of a trip but would have to be seated as were students on a budget!
The seated sleeper seat would've passed as a first class seat a few years back - 2+1, reclining, well padded. Food and drink prices are pretty standard: Seated car menu.

GW43125

Established Member
It's enough recline and the seat pitch is deep enough that I can get a decent kip. Naturally, that is just a personal opinion, ymmv.

Thanks, sounds like it'll be alright then. Though for £27, I can't really complain!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
2 things I would say about the caly seats. 1, MK2s so breaking noise. 2, the heat and AC is an odd, tempremental non standard system and can often be to hot or to cold!

Should point out that if conditions are right I can sleap on the seats no issues.

Also the buffet issue last night was according to the grip a techy issue.

robbeech

Established Member

It's always worth a mention to them.
Looks like your stop was somewhere near Tamworth as you went from 3E at Amington Junction to 10L at Tamworth and they're about 1 minute apart on a pass through.

How good is the recline, as a whole is it something you'd recommend?

I'm a good sleeper, if I have somewhere to lie down. Otherwise, it's a hopeless. So, I've had a number of berths on the Caledonian and Cornish sleepers over the last 6/7 years - slept reasonably, albeit woken by the noisy braking system. I've had a 'sleeper seat' on the Cornish sleeper and didn't get any sleep at all.

If I was very cash concious, I'd possibly take the seat, but (as others have noted) if you're not someone who can sleep in any situation, it could be a false economy. Aside from that, I like being able to use the lounge carriage - especially with the sofas on the Caledonian Sleeper - which isn't available to seated customers.

So in essence, it depends what kind of sleeper you are.

robbeech

Established Member
There is a small drop in line speed just south of there from 75 to 60 on the Down Slow, but this goes back up again shortly afterwards and increases to the same as the down fast after Tamworth. Nothing else appears to have been booked through P1 an the closest neutral section is just south of Tamworth station.

GW43125

Established Member
I'm a good sleeper, if I have somewhere to lie down. Otherwise, it's a hopeless. So, I've had a number of berths on the Caledonian and Cornish sleepers over the last 6/7 years - slept reasonably, albeit woken by the noisy braking system. I've had a 'sleeper seat' on the Cornish sleeper and didn't get any sleep at all.

If I was very cash concious, I'd possibly take the seat, but (as others have noted) if you're not someone who can sleep in any situation, it could be a false economy. Aside from that, I like being able to use the lounge carriage - especially with the sofas on the Caledonian Sleeper - which isn't available to seated customers.

So in essence, it depends what kind of sleeper you are.

I'm the kind of person who need a be flat to sleep properly but if I'm tired enough I can sleep anywhere. But it won't a very good sleep. It's £50 extra for a berth compared to £40 for a hotel room up there so I know which I'd pick.

But because it's a train and first time and all I know I wouldn't sleep regardless of whether or noti had a berth, so I don't think that the berth would be worth it anyway.

Granted I'd be about 250m closer to the loco but again, money that could be better spent on other expenses.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
@Robb, that stop now makes sense. I am wondering if the loco or electrics needed a reset as powere went off a minute or 2 after stopping before then coming back on and the service restarting. The stop woke me and it was as a result that I noted the power outage.

Status
Not open for further replies.