• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TimboM

Established Member
Following on from the fan-noise discussion of the other day, I was able to capture 92023 on the car train this morning in the same spot as 88002 on the Tesco intermodal last week. Makes for an interesting comparison!

https://youtu.be/_LVBBEIwoTA - 92023

https://youtu.be/TxJJCwU9D5k - 88002 (copied again here for ease of reference)

Also interesting that the 92 fans (and associated noise) step down significantly even when its still accelerating away - which appears to tie in with the previous info that the fans/noise are as much to do with cooling the braking systems (the train comes to a stand just before this point to allow a passenger service past) as it does with cooling the transformer/traction convertors/motors etc.

I'm also feeling more sympathetic to the Virgin despatchers at Euston now having been reminded quite how loud 92s can get - and that was 50 metres away across a field, not from 5 metres in an enclosed station.

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Also in the news today, Caley Sleeper 73971 has been released from Brush works with the new coupler arrangement - same set up as the ROG 37s and is currently on test on the Great Central.

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member
Also in the news today, Caley Sleeper 73971 has been released from Brush works with the new coupler arrangement - same set up as the ROG 37s and is currently on test on the Great Central.

Will be interesting to see a pic of that - not seen one yet, sure it won't be long before some are posted online...

I had heard previously 73969 was first up for the new coupling and then testing with the new stock over in Europe (Velim?) - but maybe it's more bashed up from its collision in Craigentinny last December than was thought.

You'd think with the first of the new stock due in c.3 months they'd need to start fitting them to at least a couple of 92s too - perhaps 043 and/or 038 in the works at the moment are candidates for that?

Last edited:

Scotrail84

Established Member

That will be going to the Czech Republic to meet up with the completed vehicles. There are only 5 complete vehicles with everything fitted. Another 30 are just body shells just now. So only another 40 to build in time for an April launch??

Last edited:

Scotrail84

Established Member
Is the latter point another 92 issue? Most mdoern classes can be dead on read in air-pass mode and its been retrofitted to many not so modern - shouldn't be a big ask... 92s are rough enough taking power, don't think one on the rear would make it hugely worse TBH.

You ever been on the train with it T and T?? An extra 126 tonnes on the back bumping into the train every time the brake is applied is not pleasant.

paul1609

Established Member
I was on the Southbound Sleeper from Garelochead down to Euston last night it had a 92 on the blocks at Euston and the take up had been pretty smooth main comfort issue was the fidgety suspension on the coach despite being in 07 berth.

TimboM

Established Member
I was on the Southbound Sleeper from Garelochead down to Euston last night it had a 92 on the blocks at Euston and the take up had been pretty smooth main comfort issue was the fidgety suspension on the coach despite being in 07 berth.

Was 92018 - must be the smooth one ;)

TimboM

Established Member
86 101 at the battery end of 1. I'm not convinced this will be the loco for 1S26.

Saw that earlier - I'd be surprised if it was...!

There seems to be some odd goings on at the moment - 1S25 is still at platform 35 mins after scheduled departure and the 1S26 ECS got a couple of minutes down the road from Wembley and is now sat in Kilburn Loop it seems (as been there for a while now).

It's looking pretty quiet around Euston generally, so not sure if there's some overall issues, or just something impacting the sleeper.

Meanwhile, 92023 is passing the ECS with the empty car train.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

There seems to be some odd goings on at the moment - 1S25 is still at platform 35 mins after scheduled departure and the 1S26 ECS got a couple of minutes down the road from Wembley and is now sat in Kilburn Loop it seems (as been there for a while now).

It's looking pretty quiet around Euston generally, so not sure if there's some overall issues, or just something impacting the sleeper.

Ongoing trespass incident at Rugby - the last Euston Glasgow has been stuck for over an hour now!

TimboM

Established Member
Ongoing trespass incident at Rugby - the last Euston Glasgow has been stuck for over an hour now!

Ah OK, so everything is clogged up, hence the ECS has been put in the loop out of the way of the freights etc. on the Slows.

Optimo

At least the trespass/police negotiation incident gave them time to load more grapes for the cheeseboards. They initially only had enough for 4, but are now fully stocked due to the delay. Every cloud!!

Scotrail84

Established Member

Can confirm 86 101 will be taking 1S26 north.

Suicidal person at Rugby, lines closed and power isolated as a result. Police negotiator on route.

TimboM

Established Member
At least the trespass/police negotiation incident gave them time to load more grapes for the cheeseboards. They initially only had enough for 4, but are now fully stocked due to the delay. Every cloud!!

You might have diminished the stocks again, though, by the time it gets moving :/

TimboM

Established Member
Does anyone know what has brought the Lowlander ECS (5S96) into Euston?

TimboM

Established Member
86101's big night out may not be getting much further than the buffers at Euston at this rate...

Highlander (which it's trapped behind) 2 hours late now and there's no sign (AFAIK) of the incident at Rugby ending - and even when it does the knock-on delays/trains out of position will be significant.

TimboM

Established Member
It doesn't quite say that, it says disruption till then. I've been sat at Euston nearly 2 hours now.

I'm assuming that's on the basis that if (big if) the incident is resolved relatively soon (say by midnight), it'll take another 2 hours to sort everything out.

The longer it's not resolved, though, the longer that timeframe goes out unfortunately.

I can see some if not all of the Sleepers getting cancelled tonight.

marks87

Established Member
If they are cancelled, will passengers will be allowed to sleep in the berths? Then on the first day trains to Glasgow and Edinburgh (from Kings Cross) tomorrow morning.

For subscribers to the "every cloud" theory, at least it's a Friday night which gives plenty time, and paths, for ECS workings north in time for Sunday (assuming the two southbound services get through).

TimboM

Established Member
I suppose it's to much to suggest the sleepers take the East Coast route?

I would think it's way too late for that now, even if the practicalities could be organised at this short notice.

They usually set off about an hour earlier (from memory) to do that route - the Wembley reverse and trundling round North London all take a while. So given the Highlander (north) is now 2.5 hours late, you'd be talking a delay of 3.5 hours already (and that's even if everything could be sorted this instant).

They'd also need to do some faffing around with locos to add to the problem as I think only 92018, 86101 and 87002 are available tonight at the Euston end, with the 86 and 87 currently trapped on the buffers.

Added to that crew/staff going beyond their hours - and the fact the drivers won't be in the right places (as the Up services are on their way now on the WCML).

Can't see it happening.

Last edited:

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I count 9 trains trapped outside of platforms at the moment. Others are stacking up station to station - 3 in MKC and one each in each station as far as Berkhamsted/Tamworth
The problem is at Rugby station itself I gather - will leave it to others to divulge the nature of it but suffice to say job is well and truly stopped.
If I were at Serco control making a decision if the sleeper would run; I'd be 50/50 at this stage; but there's nothing concrete.

fgwrich

Established Member
Images courtesy of Tim Wade from the Sleeper facebook group. Note that with the ROG style coupling it has bought the DMU snowplough to be effectively cut in half, and removal of the rubbing plates.

Attachments

• IMG_4526.JPG
    IMG_4526.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4525.JPG
    IMG_4525.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 124

TimboM

Established Member
I count 9 trains trapped outside of platforms at the moment. Others are stacking up station to station - 3 in MKC and one each in each station as far as Berkhamsted/Tamworth
The problem is at Rugby station itself I gather - will leave it to others to divulge the nature of it but suffice to say job is well and truly stopped.
If I were at Serco control making a decision if the sleeper would run; I'd be 50/50 at this stage; but there's nothing concrete.

It's a person on a bridge just outside of Rugby station - lines closed, power off... I will divulge as know you can't and it's common knowledge now.

Serco/CS sleeper social media team at least are remaining positive - they've recently told some chap asking if he'll make his mates wedding tomorrow in the far north of Scotland that "the train is likely to depart tonight, but with delays" and "hopefully it'll make up some time". He's on the Highlander that's 3 hours late as it is with no sign of moving any time soon and it has a 92 on it.

I know the CS twitter folk can't really be saying this, but I'd be a lot less positive about the chances of it running at all and certainly him getting to where he needs to be on time - and suggest he starts at least researching other options :oops:

EDIT: person has apparently come down/been moved. So maybe CS Twitter Person's optimism was well-founded after all. Still going to be a big delay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.