• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yes. Plan is the 90 will work from Queen St via E&G, attach the EDB portion in Waverley and then carry on to Euston via ECML and reverse at Wembley.

ECS locos for Queen St likely to be 73/9 Sun night and 47 Mon morning.

And there was me hoping for a 86/87 from Edinburgh to Glasgow on Monday morning.

ScottDarg

And there was me hoping for a 86/87 from Edinburgh to Glasgow on Monday morning.

Doesn't help that 2 of the 3 are seemingly out of action at the moment.

86401 is still parked at Craigentinny where it has been for the last 7(ish) months. 87002 has also disappeared recently. 86101 seems to be the only one available.

Last edited:

GW43125

Established Member
Doesn't help that 2 of the 3 are seemingly out of action at the moment.

86401 is still parked at Craigentinny where it has been for the last 7(ish) months. 87002 has also disappeared recently. 86101 seems to be the only one available.

87002 is under repair at Willesden following a major transformer issue. Anyone got any idea what’s up with 86401?

Scotrail84

Established Member
1S26 in the morning will be hauled by a 73 up the GSWR from Carlisle to Glasgow Central, the same loco will haul 5C11 and 1C11 this evening.

5B26 Edinburgh to Polmadie (via shields) will be double headed by diesel traction in the morning. One loco will run round at shields to top and tail it to enable it to run into Glasgow central then reverse out to Polmadie. The electric loco that brings in 1B26 will stable in Edinburgh or craigentinny overnight.

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member
1S26 in the morning will be hauled by a 73 up the GSWR from Carlisle to Glasgow Central, the same loco will haul 5C11 and 1C11 this evening.

5B26 Edinburgh to Polmadie (via shields) will be double headed by diesel traction in the morning. One loco will run round at shields to top and tail it to enable it to run into Glasgow central then reverse out to Polmadie. The electric loco that brings in 1B26 will stable in Edinburgh or craigentinny overnight.
92023 is on 5C11, with an 0Z11 path in for the 73/9 (966 I think is the plan) to then come in from Craigentinny shortly after 11pm. The 92 will presumably stay on the stock to provide ETH until the 73/9 gets there and then be detached.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I was on the Gospel Oak - Barking line earlier and couldn't help thinking if at some stage in the future it could be possible to divert the sleeper via Upper Holloway to join the ECML at Harringay (although only for the Euston -> Scotland parts due to the way Harringay junction is laid out)?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I was on the Gospel Oak - Barking line earlier and couldn't help thinking if at some stage in the future it could be possible to divert the sleeper via Upper Holloway to join the ECML at Harringay (although only for the Euston -> Scotland parts due to the way Harringay junction is laid out)?

It could be, requiring a run round at Wembley. But it would generally be quicker and easier to go via Primrose Hill.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It could be, requiring a run round at Wembley. But it would generally be quicker and easier to go via Primrose Hill.

Replacing the existing reversal at Wembley to go via Primrose Hill, although I guess it is easier for pathing on the busy NLL line when the sleeper is on it for a short distance around Camden Road, vice Kensal Rise to Gospel Oak.

JModulo

No seats on the Glasgow portion tonight from London judging by the ammount of stickers plastered on the doors. 1 Sleeper coach OOU on it aswell. No lounge on Edinburgh portion.

Edit: Lounge is on Edinburgh portion but is located behind the loco (92043). Doors appear to locked shut and plated over with metal/tape.

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
No seats on the Glasgow portion tonight from London judging by the ammount of stickers plastered on the doors. 1 Sleeper coach OOU on it aswell. No lounge on Edinburgh portion.

Edit: Lounge is on Edinburgh portion but is located behind the loco (92043). Doors appear to locked shut and plated over with metal/tape.

What on earth's going on with that then, sounds like loads of issues with that set.

route101

Established Member

Do the seated passengers get berths?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
What actually happens if there are to many failed coaches to accommodate seated passengers in berths? Do they travel in the lounge car instead?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
What actually happens if there are to many failed coaches to accommodate seated passengers in berths? Do they travel in the lounge car instead?

Presumably they get turned away and told to travel on the first day train in the morning just like berth customers if their berths are not available.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Presumably they get turned away and told to travel on the first day train in the morning just like berth customers if their berths are not available.

Presumably they can claim delay repay, what about overnight accommodation though?

Are the Mk3/Mk2 Sleeper sets in such bad shape now that failures are very common?

JModulo

Presumably they can claim delay repay, what about overnight accommodation though?

Are the Mk3/Mk2 Sleeper sets in such bad shape now that failures are very common?

Wouldnt say its very common, but seems to be happening alot more often, several times a week.

thaitransit

This is very concerning! I am intending to use these overnight train in September 2019. I will be relying on them running on time and the sleeping berths being available. Do they bus replace the train if it fails? Although it means all night on a bloody bus!

Chrism20

Established Member
This is very concerning! I am intending to use these overnight train in September 2019. I will be relying on them running on time and the sleeping berths being available. Do they bus replace the train if it fails? Although it means all night on a bloody bus!

September 2019 is 17 months away yet. The new stock **should** have a good few miles under their belts by then. Personally I wouldn’t be concerned about a journey so far in the future.

If it was this September maybe but definitely not next. Once the new stock starts to come online they will also have more carriages to play with so it should also be easier in theory to send out a full complement every night.

ScottDarg

73966 worked up the GSW and kept to time right through to Glasgow by the looks of it.

5S26 is running via Hamilton with 73968 leading, 73966 still on the rear

Status
Not open for further replies.