• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper Flexipass

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonm

I might think of buying one of these - they give you 10 first class journeys on the sleeper for £119.40 and given that the cheapest single is £138 I might be tempted. I will be going on the Fort William line in Oct and also to my parents in Aberdeen twice so seems a good investment.

My questions are:

(1) Has anyone bought one? Is it only me that can use them?
(2) How easy is it to book a berth with one?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34D

Established Member
I might think of buying one of these - they give you 10 first class journeys on the sleeper for £119.40 and given that the cheapest single is £138 I might be tempted. I will be going on the Fort William line in Oct and also to my parents in Aberdeen twice so seems a good investment.

My questions are:

(1) Has anyone bought one? Is it only me that can use them?
(2) How easy is it to book a berth with one?

£11.90 per journey? Wow

EltonRoad

I bought one in March, it cost £1194. I've had them in previous years as well. (http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/fares-and-tickets#caledonian-sleeper)

I think they're excellent value, especially if you use them when only the upper tier of First Class Sleeper Single is otherwise available (£214.50).

It's pretty easy to book a berth, I usually do it via ScotRail telesales, you get the berth number given to you and a booking ref.

One of the main advantages is the ability to chop and change, so you could cancel a reservation and book onto another train all without being charged.

I am sure I have seen somewhere that they are transferable. At any rate you could easily give a carnet voucher to each of your parents.

You don't get Underground travel included, but can use the lounge/showers at Euston, showers at Fort William and lounge/showers at Aberdeen, all free. You also get the hot breakfast included, and can ask for a place to be set in the lounge car in the morning.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
http://alpha.groundedtravel.com/destinations/europe/united-kingdom/rannoch
Looks like this price has not been updated and surprised the price has lowered to £1055
Sadly no date on that page to advise to what date those fares and times were correct to
I think the clue is in the pages on the Scotrail site ...
I bought one in March, it cost £1194. I've had them in previous years as well. (http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/fares-and-tickets#caledonian-sleeper)
The above linked page says fares valid from 2 Jan 2012, whilst the next one says 2 Jan 2010. Perhaps someone should tell Scotrail?
Dunno where you got that fare, the one on the ScotRail site is £1055

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/caledonian-sleeper-flexipass.html

£11.90 per journey? Wow
Classic misunderstanding. £119.40 is of course the price of just one of the ten tickets.

simonm

Hi - I have some RTV to use up. Can I use these to buy them from Euston - will they sell the Flexipass tickets?

rail-britain

Established Member
Hi - I have some RTV to use up. Can I use these to buy them from Euston - will they sell the Flexipass tickets?
You may be able to buy this ticket from Euston, you can also visit any local manned station
Alternatively you can send them to ScotRail and purchase the ticket direct from them (Send the RTV Special Delivery, and photocopy them before sending)

EltonRoad

I bought one at Oxenholme so Euston should definitely be able to.

Make sure you get them to forward date it to the first date you intend to travel, so that the vouchers last for the full year.

simonm

Thanks for all your help guys. First trip in October so wont be for a while!

simonm

Asked at TVP and they found out about it and happy to issue it. One final question: In what form do they tickets take - is it 10 x orange tickets or a book or a scratch off?

Cheds

Cheds Dad went down standard class on the sleeper last week - fine but a very narrow bed. Is the first class bed any wider or is the difference just sole occupancy? thax

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Cheds Dad went down standard class on the sleeper last week - fine but a very narrow bed. Is the first class bed any wider or is the difference just sole occupancy? thax

The beds and cabins are identical, except in first class the upper bunk is folded away, and there are a few extra soft amenities (a nicer blanket, better breakfast, newspaper etc).

michael769

Established Member
Asked at TVP and they found out about it and happy to issue it. One final question: In what form do they tickets take - is it 10 x orange tickets or a book or a scratch off?

Scotrail flexipass are normally the standard orange stock. A non Scotrail station may use different stock though.

EltonRoad

Yes it's 10 orange tickets. If you buy it through ScotRail telesales each ticket will have a date box dd/mm/yy stamped on the top for you to fill in.

Lee_Again

I emailed Scotrail a few ago and they confirmed that not only are they transferable but also on the same service.

I wanted to take 8 of us to Scotland (on one service) and use the other 2 for me and my son at a later date. All fine by them.:D

Essexman

Established Member
I always use these. Excellent value - I get work to buy it then have the 2 or 3 'free' journeys for myself. Better value if you use the Highland Sleeper but pays for itself of Glasgow / Edinburgh, with advantage of being able to book late (except Fort William in summer) and change if required. If you don't use all 10 tickets in a year you can carry up to five over if buying another pass.

Also, first class is a bonus. Main advantage there is you don't get loud American couples talking in berth next door as they're all single - plus breakfast is included.

Status
Not open for further replies.