• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper Mk5 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Nice photos. Something that does disappoint a little- the doors to close off the gangway appear not to have windows. On the Mark 3s it's quite fun to watch out the back!

marks87

Established Member
Nice photos. Something that does disappoint a little- the doors to close off the gangway appear not to have windows. On the Mark 3s it's quite fun to watch out the back!

I would imagine that in normal service the “blind” on the gangway would be pulled down anyway.

BRX

Established Member
I thought the same. But looking carefully, I think that actually what you can see are the internal sliding doors with some kind of protective film on them? Are these doors in fact glazed?

Highlandspring

Established Member
I saw the coaches twice today. The gangway doors at the rear are indeed glazed to their full height but, as mentioned above, I’d expect the funny roller blind arrangement to be pulled down when they’re in service. The whole gangway/coupling looked very clumsy and the coaches themselves are pretty ungainly tubby looking things.

BRX

Established Member
Swap the roller blind for a chest height railing, open the gangway doors and you'd have a wee balcony at the back a la Royal Scotsman.

ScottDarg

Last edited:

Clansman

Established Member
More interior photos

Attachments

• caledonian-sleeper-00[1].jpg
    caledonian-sleeper-00[1].jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 416
  • caledonian-sleeper-03.jpg
    caledonian-sleeper-03.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 411
  • caledonian-sleeper-02.jpg
    caledonian-sleeper-02.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 408
  • caledonian-sleeper-04.jpg
    caledonian-sleeper-04.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 400
  • caledonian-sleeper-01.jpg
    caledonian-sleeper-01.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 418

Spartacus

Established Member
Judging by the width of the corridor in that last picture, your suitcase would definitely need 4 wheels to navigate that!
(My suitcase currently has 2 and it's a very ungainly case indeed)

Judging by the width of the corridor I can see some people not being able to get big cases down without serious difficulty, and meeting someone coming the other way will make things VERY cosy :wub: I know one or two folk who might have a job getting down there on their own too! o_O

Caleb2010

I shouldn't think it's much wider or narrower than the corridor on the Mk 3 sleepers!
I wonder though if the 240v power will be constant or, like the usb power provided now will drop at certain points in the journey?
Nice to see the accessible space in the buffet (sorry - club car!)

Clansman

Established Member
It seems as if the 'booth' proposal for the club car has been cut back - ie no longitudinal seating running parallel to the windows and connecting with the 'facing' seats, as originally planned.

Spartacus

Established Member
I shouldn't think it's much wider or narrower than the corridor on the Mk 3 sleepers!
I wonder though if the 240v power will be constant or, like the usb power provided now will drop at certain points in the journey?
Nice to see the accessible space in the buffet (sorry - club car!)

Hopefully it's just a trick of the eye given the flooring and the position of the door.

Martin222002

More interior photos
From those photos it looks like there will be two different accessible berths. One with the standard twin bunks configuration and another with a double bed. I assume this means that the accessible sleeper coach will have 1 of each type, so 2 accessible berths, which will be double that which is provided today.

TimboM

Established Member
Has anyone else noticed the en suites are a combined toilet / shower cubicle; with a cover/lid that folds over the WC (and neatly tucks away the toilet roll) and then you sit/stand over it to shower?

Very efficient space-wise, but may feel a bit odd having a shower on/over the WC?!

Not sure how much room they’ll be either...?

Annotated stills from the fly-through:

EAF708A7-8EAA-4630-A842-9B6CC118640A.jpeg
F26E6DE8-12D4-4D3A-9E13-4CDE51D734FE.jpeg

Scotrail88

Will the new coaches enable a quicker shunt process at Carstairs as lights are already on units, electric coupling, etc.
Possibility for quicker journeys??
Not heard of any timetable changes though.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Very efficient space-wise, but may feel a bit odd having a shower on/over the WC

Not the strangest arrangement by any means, there are some sleeping cars in Canada where in single-occupant rooms the toilet is under the bed and you have to lift the bed up to use it!

I think it's actually a fairly sensible use of the space, certainly it's an improvement that not only will there be en-suite rooms now but showers as well.

TimboM

Established Member
Will the new coaches enable a quicker shunt process at Carstairs as lights are already on units, electric coupling, etc.
Possibility for quicker journeys??
Not heard of any timetable changes though.
May be a bit quicker at Carstairs, Edinburgh etc, but separate ETS cables still need disconnecting, gangways need to be sorted, trains still manoeuvred into position, etc...

It’s more about making the current process easier/safer (in theory) - any time saved will just help the existing tight windows for shunting to be achieved more readily. The Sleeper timetables in general are already heavily “padded” - the Sleeper is more about leaving and arriving at sensible times for “guests” not getting from A to B as fast as possible.

route101

Established Member
May be a bit quicker at Carstairs, Edinburgh etc, but separate ETS cables still need disconnecting, gangways need to be sorted, trains still manoeuvred into position, etc...

It’s more about making the current process easier/safer (in theory) - any time saved will just help the existing tight windows for shunting to be achieved more readily. The Sleeper timetables in general are already heavily “padded” - the Sleeper is more about leaving and arriving at sensible times for “guests” not getting from A to B as fast as possible.

Heavily Padded indeed , took the sleeper from London to Glasgow via ecml and we waited at Newcastle and Edinburgh for some time .

TimboM

Established Member
This baffles me. How can it be more desirable to have a toilet right in the room where you sleep (and sit all day) than to use a shared one down the corridor!
It's OK, it'll be pretty clean after you've showered over it... ;)

For me not having to traipse down the corridor in pyjamas or quickly thrown on jeans/T-shirt when you have the need to visit the WC in the middle of the night will be a big plus (subject to affordability!) Each to their own, though.

BRX

Established Member
It's OK, it'll be pretty clean after you've showered over it... ;)

For me not having to traipse down the corridor in pyjamas or quickly thrown on jeans/T-shirt when you have the need to visit the WC in the middle of the night will be a big plus (subject to affordability!) Each to their own, though.
I meant the Amtrak one. The CS one is fine, has a door on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.