• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper Mk5 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Im just a casual reader/observer of this thread.Obviously the MK5s have to be tested on the move and to accumlimate miles.
But what about testing with full load of passengers just to make sure everything is working ?Will it be done or will they wait until it enters service?

Is this done with any other new rolling stock before it enters service?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SC43090

Caledonian Sleeper Mk5s out on test early morning of the 17.1.2019
carriages numbers 15006, 15104, 15203, 15316,15324,15325,125329,15326,

Please have a look at the video

Wonderful video Kyle......

But will we poor peasants be able to afford to buy a ticket to travel on these new trains when they enter traffic.......

SC 43090

Townsend Hook

Im just a casual reader/observer of this thread.Obviously the MK5s have to be tested on the move and to accumlimate miles.
But what about testing with full load of passengers just to make sure everything is working ?Will it be done or will they wait until it enters service?

Everything working in terms of what, exactly? Onboard systems will have been checked before the trains left the factory, and again by CS before accepting the trains. The mechanical side of things don’t require anyone to be on board to be tested.

theironroad

Established Member
Caledonian Sleeper Mk5s out on test early morning of the 17.1.2019
carriages numbers 15006, 15104, 15203, 15316,15324,15325,125329,15326,

Please have a look at the video

Nice video, I just hope that brake noise calms down a bit.

I'm already gutted that multiple units weren't ordered and we have t continue to endure the banging and clanging when the lowlander splits/attaches at Carstairs, don't need major noisy brakes as well........

GrimShady

Established Member
Nice video, I just hope that brake noise calms down a bit.

I'm already gutted that multiple units weren't ordered and we have t continue to endure the banging and clanging when the lowlander splits/attaches at Carstairs, don't need major noisy brakes as well........

Multiple units??

It's bad enough listening to underfloor engines groaning away all day, youd like to introduce that plus vibrations to a sleeper service??

I'd like to add that when the 800s come to the ECML, will be the final straw for me traveling on day trains to London. It will be CS or nothing, both the Pendolino are Satsumas are comfortable crud!

BRX

Established Member
Everything working in terms of what, exactly? Onboard systems will have been checked before the trains left the factory, and again by CS before accepting the trains. The mechanical side of things don’t require anyone to be on board to be tested.
Any number of things can go wrong or be unforeseen when you introduce human users into a system. It's why, for example, new restaurants usually have a 'soft opening' where they do a trial run of an evening's service with non-paying guests. The sleeper carriages must contain many more complicated systems than a regular train. Would seem to me that it would be sensible to do a trial run under full occupancy.

Established Member
Any number of things can go wrong or be unforeseen when you introduce human users into a system. It's why, for example, new restaurants usually have a 'soft opening' where they do a trial run of an evening's service with non-paying guests. The sleeper carriages must contain many more complicated systems than a regular train. Would seem to me that it would be sensible to do a trial run under full occupancy.
Not at all, everything goes right on the railway without the need to consult the user... LOL

theironroad

Established Member
Multiple units??

It's bad enough listening to underfloor engines groaning away all day, youd like to introduce that plus vibrations to a sleeper service??

I'd like to add that when the 800s come to the ECML, will be the final straw for me traveling on day trains to London. It will be CS or nothing, both the Pendolino are Satsumas are comfortable crud!

I take your point, but at at least on lowlanders there could be a emu with a nice smooth split/attach.

DMUs with an engine under every carriage might be more problematic.

Being woken at Carstairs every time (and ruining sleep pattern) on a northbound lowlander with an already short journey time for sleep is enough to drive me to fly or try and figure in a day train (pref not a tilting one.......)

Bertie the bus

Established Member
EMUs can be significantly noisier than DMUs and the noise produced is much higher pitched which would be even worse when trying to sleep.

Without having to read nearly 800 posts, do we know whether the doors on these trains make the squeal when released and bleeps when closing or do the presence of attendants make that unnecessary?

GrimShady

Established Member
I take your point, but at at least on lowlanders there could be a emu with a nice smooth split/attach.

DMUs with an engine under every carriage might be more problematic.

Being woken at Carstairs every time (and ruining sleep pattern) on a northbound lowlander with an already short journey time for sleep is enough to drive me to fly or try and figure in a day train (pref not a tilting one.......)

EMUs designed like 4TCs may have worked. It would put a restriction on expanding the train, also adding the coach for Ft Bill would have been an issue.

Honestly I don't understand why the shunting process is so rough. Shunting never used to be that bad in the old days.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Without having to read nearly 800 posts, do we know whether the doors on these trains make the squeal when released and bleeps when closing or do the presence of attendants make that unnecessary?
My understanding is that the coaches do have hustle alarms, yes.
GrimShady said:
Honestly I don't understand why the shunting process is so rough. Shunting never used to be that bad in the old days.
I have never been woken by shunting on the sleepers.

GrimShady

Established Member
My understanding is that the coaches do have hustle alarms, yes.

I have never been woken by shunting on the sleeper.

The saving grace is that the doors shouldn't be in use much on intermediate stations.

I've been woken by the shunting many, many times. It's almost as if the try to make it as hard a possible.

Established Member
EMUs can be significantly noisier than DMUs and the noise produced is much higher pitched which would be even worse when trying to sleep.

I don't know the factual answer, but there aren't enough hosts to cover every door and if there isn't any audible warning of a door closing then there's a risk of getting clouted. Also bear in mind that it isn't every door that'll open at every station. So my guess is that there will be sounds.

I can't see that the noise of local hustle alarm is any worse than the racket produced by a mk3 door being slammed a few feet from your compartment. I know what that's like at Crewe at 530am!

Meerkat

Established Member
Have you been on the sleepers that go from Sweden to Germany on the train ferry? Don’t reckon anyone would sleep through all that rigmarole!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't understand why people are expecting the best sleep of their lives on a sleeper train. You are going to be moved about, there will be noise and shunting will happen.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I can't see that the noise of local hustle alarm is any worse than the racket produced by a mk3 door being slammed a few feet from your compartment. I know what that's like at Crewe at 530am!
It would be the door release sound which would be worse if it has that as well. On quite a bit of stock the door release squeal is much louder than the hustle alarm and it would sound at every pick up and set down station regardless of whether the door was opened or not.

Meerkat

Established Member
I think the query is why the shunting needs to be so heavy - there isn’t any hurry is there?

Established Member
Shunting never used to be that bad in the old days.
I don't know how far back you're going but the worst sleeper shunt I've ever experienced (and more than once) was when they used to attach the two mk3s at Carlisle, that must've been in the early 1990s.

I swear that it felt like there was a psychopath at the controls of the 08 shunter, specially modified to reach 80mph, as we slammed into the back of the Glasgow to Euston train.

Edinburgh and Carstairs are super gentle now by comparison.

Established Member
I think the query is why the shunting needs to be so heavy - there isn’t any hurry is there?
I don't know if it is that heavy in reality. There's a lot of looseness in the old stock - presumbly couplings - which causes a snookerball effect with small sharp movements in the train. I know someone who won't stand up on arrival at Euston until he hears the doors unlock. There's nearly always one last sickening lurch rippling down the train at the end he says.

Highlandspring

Established Member
It would be the door release sound which would be worse if it has that as well. On quite a bit of stock the door release squeal is much louder than the hustle alarm and it would sound at every pick up and set down station regardless of whether the door was opened or not.
Sorry I’ve not made myself clear, I was using the term hustle alarm to cover both door opening and closing tones.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Thanks. I was thinking of trying to see one of the WCML tests this week anyway. It's possible they might release the doors so I might get an opportunity to see how loud they are - from the outside of course.

Highlandspring

Established Member
I’ve just had a look at the relevant British Standard BS14752:2015 which covers “Bodyside entrance systems for rolling stock” and it seems that an audible tone upon door release and closing is an absolute requirement -

5344E4D1-F617-40C9-A214-C46601217683.jpeg
730226B6-1129-4C46-9DC8-E78FCA8E5D07.jpeg

BRX

Established Member
I think they are buckeye couplings, is that right? If so do you need a minimum amount of speed to make them work?

BRX

Established Member
By the way this is an image from an order for new night trains by OBB. It's really a shame we couldn't have had something like this for the CS.
Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 15.10.22.jpg

_toommm_

Established Member
I’ve just had a look at the relevant British Standard BS14752:2015 which covers “Bodyside entrance systems for rolling stock” and it seems that an audible tone upon door release and closing is an absolute requirement -

View attachment 58185
View attachment 58186

And it's covered by the PRM-TSI legislation (Persons of Reduced Mobility - Technical Specifications for Interoperability). No use ordering stock that isn't PRM compliant!

EDIT: Just seen the photos and believe that is the PRM legislation I mentioned... oops

Bertie the bus

Established Member
And it's covered by the PRM-TSI legislation (Persons of Reduced Mobility - Technical Specifications for Interoperability). No use ordering stock that isn't PRM compliant!
It all depends on how intrusive the noise is as to whether it is worth worrying about but if it is the equivalent of having an alarm clock going off up to 20 times per journey then common sense would dictate the alarms should not be fitted to sleeper stock. Especially when these services are book ahead only, any requirement for assistance could be made known at the time of booking and there are a reasonable number of staff aboard to provide that assistance to what in reality will be a tiny percentage of passengers.

GrimShady

Established Member
It all depends on how intrusive the noise is as to whether it is worth worrying about but if it is the equivalent of having an alarm clock going off up to 20 times per journey then common sense would dictate the alarms should not be fitted to sleeper stock. Especially when these services are book ahead only, any requirement for assistance could be made known at the time of booking and there are a reasonable number of staff aboard to provide that assistance to what in reality will be a tiny percentage of passengers.

I suppose it might not be so bad in the berth coaches but the seated sleeper i can imagine wouldn't be any fun. Are there vestibule doors fitted to the seated coaches?

Established Member
How about they test it out with some real people on board before the trains go into service? Then they'd know...

Status
Not open for further replies.