• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper Mk5 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimboM

Established Member
IIRC, the 73 involved in the incident at Craigentinny a few months ago (can't mind the number) was the one due to head over to the Czech Republic. I've not been keeping tabs on its progress in other threads but I imagine that its repair would've had a knock on effect on testing in Velim?

It was 73969 (shunting collision at Craigentinny in Dec 2016) and it's still in Loughborough for repair.

I don't think that will be impacting the testing schedule though. I would expect GBRf would be subject to contract penalties from Serco if they didn't provide the traction for testing on time. 73971 now has Dellners (came out of Loughborough early July) and likewise 73967 was released at the start of this month with its fitted. If they'd needed a 73 in Velim by now, I suspect GBRf would have sent one of these and hired-in another loco if they'd needed to.

There's a post here on the Caledonian Sleeper thread from last week which gives a good indication of the progress (or otherwise!) of the new coaches - I suspect this will be more the reason there's been no testing yet, rather than 73 availability:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=3081726&postcount=4368

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TimboM

Established Member
Any pictures of one of the Dellner fitted 73s knocking about?

Go on Flickr, search for "73971" / "73967" and sort by Date Taken...

Here's an example (73967) giving a good view of the coupling (they're typically covered up in service by some orange bag thing): https://flic.kr/p/WjoVTa (not mine)

Clansman

Established Member
Few discussions on Scot-Rail indicating that the 5 x completed Mk5s left for Velim by rail yesterday. Although it's hard to take seriously since there are conflicting messages from users regarding 73s, in the context as to whether or not there's one there already, and which ones it is - they're saying '768 apparently, but I trust some fellow members on here may have more accurate information on this.

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member
Few discussion on Scot-Rail indicating that the 5 x completed Mk5s left for Velim by rail yesterday. Although it's hard to take seriously since there are conflicting messages from users regarding 73s, in the context as to whether or not there's one there already, and which ones it is - they're saying '768 apparently, but I know I can trust fellow members on here for the correct information as they come to light.

73968 went from Craigentinny to Loughborough on 10 August. I really don't think they've fitted the Dellners and got it all the way to the Czech Republic in a week - and without anyone noticing!

73969 isn't fixed yet.

The only other 73 in Loughborough (or at least per TOPS) is 73966. That's been there a while (went in on 10 July) so more feasible that it could've had its couplings sorted and shipped to Velim. However, I was of the understanding (I may be wrong) that only 967 and 971 have Dellners so far - and they're on the Aberdeen and FW portions as we type respectively.

73970 is at Polmadie currently I believe subbing in for duff Colas Duff (47749) that's still stranded in Barnetby (if 970 is not at Polmadie it's at Craigentinny).

With all the eagle-eyed folk around on here (and other forums/Flickr) I'd be a little surprised if they got it there without at least someone noticing (unless they moved it by road at the dead of night!)

Last edited:

Clansman

Established Member
73968 went from Craigentinny to Loughborough on 10 August. I really don't think they've fitted the Dellners and got it all the way to the Czech Republic in a week - and without anyone noticing!

73969 isn't fixed yet.

The only other 73 in Loughborough (or at least per TOPS) is 73966. That's been there a while (went in on 10 July) so more feasible that it could've had its couplings sorted and shipped to Velim. However, I was of the understanding (I may be wrong) that only 967 and 971 have Dellners so far - and they're on the Aberdeen and FW portions as we type respectively.

73970 is at Polmadie currently I believe subbing in for duff Colas Duff (47749) that's still stranded in Barnetby (if 970 is not at Polmadie it's at Craigentinny).

With all the eagle-eyed folk around on here (and other forums/Flickr) I'd be a little surprised if they got it there without at least someone noticing (unless they moved it by road at the dead of night!)

Thanks for clarifying the current situation, knew I can count on you :)

As you said, if there was something in Velim or headed that way, it'd be very difficult to maintain the secrecy - so chances are there isn't anything due Velim way in terms of locomotives and what not. The pace of the news shedding to light from folk keeping tabs on the situation in Velim when the 88s and 385s were over that way is proof enough that if something was over there, we'd be hearing about it not long after.

For reference, this was the comment I was referring to posted on Scot-Rail:

According to chat on the European Rail group today. A set of 5 new sleeper coaches
has left Hendaye today by rail. Heading for Velim. No doubt to tie up with 73968
which us already there.

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member
Thanks for clarifying the current situation, knew I can count on you :)

As you said, if there was something in Velim or headed that way, it'd be very difficult to maintain the secrecy - so chances are there isn't anything due Velim way in terms of locomotives and what not. The pace of the news shedding to light from folk keeping tabs on the situation in Velim when the 88s and 385s were over that way is proof enough that if something was over there, we'd be hearing about it not long after.

For reference, this was the comment I was referring to posted on Scot-Rail:

Seems quite a specific comment, but as a guide 971 and 967 took 2 months or thereabouts to modify (I think 967 had some other fixes whilst it was there). I'm sure third/fourth one in they're getting slicker at it, but doubt they have it down to 5-6 days...!

Guess could be mistaken ID for 73966, but like we said would be quite surprised if they got one all the way there without noticing. Also, I can't see the need for any secrecy - its been heavily publicised that the new stock is on its way and well known it's due to be tested in Velim with a 73/9 at some point. More the opposite in fact - you'd think Serco (or whoever) would want to advertise things were progressing (even if not quite bang on schedule as per some recent posts on the Caley Sleeper thread...!)

Last edited:

Clansman

Established Member
Also, I can't see the need for any secrecy - its been heavily publicised that the new stock is on its way and well known it's due to be tested in Velim with a 73/9 at some point. More the opposite in fact - you'd think Serco (or whoever) would want to advertise things were progressing (even if not quite bang on schedule as per some recent posts on the Caley Sleeper thread...!)

I also can't see the need for it, but there are numerous things to suggest that there is secrecy there as you're probably aware of.

Northern and TPE's updates on their CAF stock's progression says it all. What ever game Serco are playing, hopefully, they are setting themselves up for a successful launch than failure. The last thing they would want would be flashing about render after render about the new stock, only to have it slated in the press. Imagine what would've gone down had Serco boasted about the pod beds and what not, only to have it scrapped not long after. Or imagine if the media were reporting the delays in testing for the trians in the same way they reported on EGIP's delays.

The only publicity they've had in recent times in regards to their operation has been about the proposals of that Wick service HITRANS are wanting (well, and that whole fire arms palava), which is obviously positive for them. So what ever it is they are doing, it seems to be working.

Last edited:

Far north 37

Established Member
just seen a photo of 73970 rescuing 56094 on a failed freight at ayr how did that come about anyone know

TimboM

Established Member
just seen a photo of 73970 rescuing 56094 on a failed freight at ayr how did that come about anyone know

Check out the Caley Sleeper thread - there's some info on there.

Background is 73970 moved to Polmadie yesterday to do the ECS move to Kilmarnock for the coaches needing repair due to 47749 still being stuck at Barnetby after failing on the GBRf tour.

Whilst out on that return trip today it was requested to assist the failed freight.

Far north 37

Established Member
Check out the Caley Sleeper thread - there's some info on there.

Background is 73970 moved to Polmadie yesterday to do the ECS move to Kilmarnock for the coaches needing repair due to 47749 still being stuck at Barnetby after failing on the GBRf tour.

Whilst out on that return trip today it was requested to assist the failed freight.

yeah i seen later after i had posted was just unsure how a sleeper 73 could of been the nearest rescue loco for ayr never a dull moment with the sleeper loco fleet seems to be

Tam

Ah well, it looks like I picked the wrong weekend to come home to Scotland. I'll be back in CZ on Monday night and will try for photos on Wednesday. Hopefully they will be outside and not hidden away in one of the many sheds there.

Clansman

Established Member
To be fair, the windows in each carriage have been specifically designed to cater for the interior far better than the current stock.

For example on the Mk5s, the Lounge and Seated carriages have lower windows than what the Sleeper coaches have.

Whereas on the current stock, the designs are more formulaic (if that's the right word). Just shows you how in depth the specifications are in this area.

BRX

Established Member
Interesting..a move away from the underbody skirting of the Mk 3s and 4s.

Most new trains (whether hauled or multiple units) seem to follow this trend. I've wondered why; whether it makes maintenance easier, or faults easier to spot, perhaps.

Look at 700s, 707s, 345s. The IEP trains have more continuous cabinets but have a more utilitarian look than mk3 underframes.

Tam

I just saw them parked in a siding at Velim station from a passing train. Too dark here for any photos. The station is about a mile from the test centre (which is actually nearer Cerhenice station, in case anyone plans to visit). I might manage to get to Velim some time tomorrow, failing that, definitely Wednesday.

Clansman

Established Member
Terrible photo but it's better than nowt.

Lot of Czech's keeping close tabs on this on Velim also, as well as Tam's desire to get some photos, so hopefully we'll get a proper look in soon :)

Attachments

• 1207746.jpg
    1207746.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 374

TimboM

Established Member
Maybe add them near the end of testing as they would need to test them at speed too I imagine.

Perhaps, although BRX's post above suggests they may just be like that anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.