• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper Mk5 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
6701 - used for spares

No Mk2, but otherwise as above with 10617 added. Seen here passing Hampsted Heath (sorry for low quality pic, taken from my twitter feed)

DxIdyklWkAE_LVC.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TimboM

Established Member
Presumably just to standardise which end the half-set with two PRM sleepers is on. The FTW/ABD half is on the country end of the Highlander at Euston, as the GLC half is on the Lowlander. Means sets can be swapped between the two services at Willesden without having to turn them.
Ah... but as @Scotrail84 mentions above, the indications are the current way of shunting the Highlander at Edinburgh will be flipped to specifically put the ABD/FTW (2x PRM) at the country end of 1M16 at Euston/Wembley (opposite to what it is now) so that the 2x PRM half-set goes to Glasgow.

Why does it matter whether the 2xPRM set goes to Glasgow or Edinburgh? Is it because it has slightly lower capacity and there's more traffic to Edinburgh?
Expected loadings/demands I believe, yes.

TimboM

Established Member
This was posted on a Yahoogroup earlier; full length Mk5 test running starts on Tuesday; the poster did make clear that the usual disclaimers apply:

Tuesday 22/1/19.

5M11 0100 Glasgow Central - Euston 1000

5Z13 1100 Euston - Wembley 1130

5Z25 1830 Wembley - Euston 1900

5Z26 2000 Euston - Glasgow Central xxxx

All times are provisional but are around this mark. 92033 & 92038 are planned to work this.

92020 should be on 6X41/6L48 next week on test, with a 66 DIT for insurance.
The actual timings for the Mk5 Lowlander test run will be a little bit different. There's a Carstairs portion (73/9 hauled) too - so a full Lowlander "mock-up". Paths no doubt out a day or two in advance on RTT etc.

92038 is due to work it - 92033 just doing the shunts at Wembley.

Off topic for this thread but the 92020 "gen" is way off the mark.

BRX

Established Member
No Mk2, but otherwise as above with 10617 added. Seen here passing Hampsted Heath (sorry for low quality pic, taken from my twitter feed)

These carriages have been part of my life and various significant journeys for... well, my whole life from childhood to the approach of middle age. Sad to see these photos, and a shame they had to end their time in the indignity of that rubbish livery.

CEN60

Stood at Uddingston Stn this morning at 6:55 and a loco hauling CAF Mk5 Sleepers in the CS Colours came thru' heading toward Glasgow - all the lights were on didn't really see anyone on it - but it was doing 75mph!

Journeyman

Established Member
Why does it matter whether the 2xPRM set goes to Glasgow or Edinburgh? Is it because it has slightly lower capacity and there's more traffic to Edinburgh?

Yes, the Edinburgh services are busier all year round, but in the summer they're FAR busier.

Journeyman

Established Member
Must admit to being surprised they didn't order uniform half-sets and just sell the extra PRM cabin as a standard one. Surely uniformity must be easier.

The PRM vehicles have very limited capacity compared to the standard ones - the accessible berths are huge.

TimboM

Established Member
Must admit to being surprised they didn't order uniform half-sets and just sell the extra PRM cabin as a standard one. Surely uniformity must be easier.
The PRM vehicles have very limited capacity compared to the standard ones - the accessible berths are huge.
They are also the only coach to include the big, very expensive “Caledonian Double” suites. So not only less capacity but also the topped-priced rooms that are going to have a limited market.

Hence better off where not needed to have a standard Sleeper vice PRM/Caley Doubles.

Kyle Allsopp

Caledonian Sleeper Mk5s out on test early morning of the 17.1.2019
carriages numbers 15006, 15104, 15203, 15316,15324,15325,125329,15326,

Please have a look at the video

Attachments

• 1 MK5.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Is it a feature shared with the mk5A's?
my first thought was why does it need one?
Perhaps to give a clear indication as to which coaches will be going where.
If Serco didn't want it, they would have told CAF not to bother with it, unless for some reason it would have cost more to get rid of it...
Sam

Clansman

Established Member
Caledonian Sleeper Mk5s out on test early morning of the 17.1.2019
carriages numbers 15006, 15104, 15203, 15316,15324,15325,125329,15326,

Please have a look at the video
Great video, thanks for sharing.

Is it a feature they've implemented for the mk5A's and shared to the mk5's? I agree it seems pointless for the sleepers.
The Mk5 Sleeper design came first did it not?

OmniCity999

Established Member
I find myself a tad confused. Are the Caledonian Doubles not going to be available on services between London and Edinburgh?

I'm looking to book for a trip in October and it doesn't seem to allow it, however, it seems to allow any other terminal point?

ScottDarg

The actual timings for the Mk5 Lowlander test run will be a little bit different. There's a Carstairs portion (73/9 hauled) too - so a full Lowlander "mock-up". Paths no doubt out a day or two in advance on RTT etc.

92038 is due to work it - 92033 just doing the shunts at Wembley.

Associated paths now in RTT:
There are other paths linked to this (ECS to depots, Carstairs - Edinburgh portions) but these are the main ones.

GrimShady

Established Member
Going back to coupling ops, won't there still be umbilicals it disconnect between coaches when they divide at Edinburgh/Carstairs?

TimboM

Established Member
Going back to coupling ops, won't there still be umbilicals it disconnect between coaches when they divide at Edinburgh/Carstairs?
Yes - 61-way jumper (multi-working) cables and ETS cables.

TimboM

Established Member
I find myself a tad confused. Are the Caledonian Doubles not going to be available on services between London and Edinburgh?

I'm looking to book for a trip in October and it doesn't seem to allow it, however, it seems to allow any other terminal point?
The Caledonian Double rooms are in the same coach as the accessible rooms (aka the "PRM Sleepers") - and there will be one of those coaches in the Edinburgh half-sets. Seems either a booking glitch they're not available, or some other reason they're not showing as available. Might be worth giving CS a call.

captainbigun

61 way is TMS/pass-com.

The ETS is the challenge with an autocoupler. Better to leave as jumper/receptacle.

alistairlees

Established Member

Which dates are you trying please and exactly what passengers and railcards do you have please? Also is it a single or return? If you let me know (you can contact me privately if you wish) I’ll take a look at the issue. Thanks.

LeylandLen

Im just a casual reader/observer of this thread.Obviously the MK5s have to be tested on the move and to accumlimate miles.
But what about testing with full load of passengers just to make sure everything is working ?Will it be done or will they wait until it enters service?

Status
Not open for further replies.