• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper ticket confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

stu

Hello all.

Looking to book my first journey on the sleeper, from Euston to Inverness on the 14th May. Looking at the ticket options, as a berth advance is almost £100 I'm thinking of going for a first class berth - but there are two tickets, one priced at £158 and one at £214. What's the difference?

I presume once I've bought one of these tickets, there is no extra to pay? It's all inclusive?

And is 1st class worth it?

Cheers

Stu

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
It appears the two prices are Sleeper 1st Singles, valid on the Specified train only. Once the £158.50 price has sold out, the price will rise to the higher banded price of £214.50, the terms and conditions of this ticket are shown below :

SLEEPER 1ST SINGLE
TICKET TYPE
SLEEPER 1ST SINGLE

OVERVIEW
This First Class Single ticket is available for travel on Caledonian Sleeper services only, and includes travel on London Underground Zones 1 and 2, and a GBP2.50 refreshment voucher redeemable in the lounge car.

TRAIN OPERATOR
Valid on Caledonian Sleeper services only.

BOOKING DEADLINES
Reservations are mandatory and can be made until close of reservations.

DISCOUNTS
A 10 percent discount is available for Family & Friends, Senior, Disabled and HM Forces Railcard holders. There are no discounts for children.

REFUNDS
Up to close of reservations on the day of travel on unused tickets, subject to a GBP10 administration fee.

CHANGES TO TRAVEL PLANS
Change to travel plans can be made up to close of reservations on the day of travel, subject to GBP10 administration fee.

BREAK OF JOURNEY
No break of journey allowed.

AVAILABILITY
Available on all Caledonian Sleeper served journeys.

VALIDITY
Outward journey to be completed on date shown, travel on London Underground valid the following day.

Route
This ticket is only valid on Caledonian Sleeper services.

As you can see it is all inclusive and includes a single London Underground Journey from zone 1 or 2 to London Euston, it also includes a £2.50 lounge car voucher.

So in answer to your question, is there no extra to pay : the answer is no.

In 1st class you will have a berth to yourself, unlike if you go STD class.

marks87

Established Member
In 1st class you will have a berth to yourself, unlike if you go STD class.
Unless you pay a "solo supplement" in STD, where you get a berth to yourself.

The difference in service between a solo supplement and 1st is that you get breakfast and a lounge car voucher with the latter. You also, technically, have first dibs on the lounge car although I've never heard of STD passengers being denied access when it's busy (even though ScotRail reserve the right to do so).

trc666

It has happened to me before, staff member in the (empty) lounge car literally screamed at me for walking through there to get to the seated accommodation last year (whilst it was still waiting at Glasgow Central), even though the train wasn't busy and there were no signs saying it was for first class only - needless to say I fired off a complaint to Scotrail when I got home and got a computer generated apology about a month later.

stu

Thanks.

I have to admit I'd rather have a berth to myself! I'll see if I can find out how much the supplement is and go from there.

Once I get too Inverness, it's off to wick!

marks87

Established Member
It has happened to me before, staff member in the (empty) lounge car literally screamed at me for walking through there to get to the seated accommodation last year (whilst it was still waiting at Glasgow Central), even though the train wasn't busy and there were no signs saying it was for first class only - needless to say I fired off a complaint to Scotrail when I got home and got a computer generated apology about a month later.
There's three classes of accommodation on the sleeper - first, standard and seated.

The lounge car is open only to first and standard passengers, so if you were travelling in the seated coach then technically she was right to tell you that you shouldn't be there (although that's not excuse for screaming at you).

What I meant by denying access to standard class passengers, is denying it to those in standard class berths.

trc666

It was actually a bloke who screamed at me, and this was before he even saw what ticket I had - though all I was doing was walking through the carriage to get to where I was sitting as the train was almost ready to depart, it wasn't like I was sat in there using it with no ticket!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've not used the sleeper for ages, but there was an infamous woman who appears to have been based at Aberdeen who could be rude.

And there was a bloke who was based at Edinburgh who regularly did the Fort William portion (but could have worked to Euston I don't know) who was incredibly rude to anyone in seated accommodation, but treated customers with berths like royalty in comparison. Apparently some people who were seated, were given the usual treatment, but then the heating broke and they were upgraded to berths, and the next morning he treated them as bona fide customers. Dunno if he's still working though. I am not sure how to describe him, but if the bloke who had a go at you was Scottish and quite old, then that could well be him. I doubt Scotrail will do anything as they must be aware of his antics and they must condone & tolerate it!

I once had an opportunity to get him to apologise, as he treated me like dirt when I appeared from the seating direction. We (met driver and I) actually had berth reservations but were in the seating portion with other people (Jordy, Max etc) who did not have berths to be near the Class 37, until Helensburgh. I was denied the sandwich of my choice as it had to be offered to berth customers first. I was less assertive then so gave up, but now I'd have shown him my reservation and asked for an apology.

stu

Thanks all.

I went for the 1st class fare at £158 in the end - figured by the time I'd got a standard class fare and paid the solo supplement, there wouldn't be much difference and I may as well take the opportunities the 1st class fare offers as I doubt I'll be on a sleeper again anytime soon!

sonic2009

Established Member
Thanks all.

I went for the 1st class fare at £158 in the end - figured by the time I'd got a standard class fare and paid the solo supplement, there wouldn't be much difference and I may as well take the opportunities the 1st class fare offers as I doubt I'll be on a sleeper again anytime soon!

Glad we could be of help, and enjoy your trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.