Caledonian Sleeper to/from Watford Junction

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Billy Hicks, 11 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy Hicks

Billy Hicks Member

Looking at visiting a few friends at the Edinburgh Fringe in August and was astonished at the low Caledonian Sleeper seat fares from London. £15.75 each way with my 16-25 railcard - and in the middle of the festival season, which given the high demand is a brilliant deal if perhaps not quite as good as the £8.60 each way I paid on East Coast in 2010!

The trains depart from Euston, but it also calls at Watford Junction which would be slightly easier/cheaper for me to get to. However, if you try selecting WJ on the sleeper.scot booking website it gives 'FULLY BOOKED' message for every day you try, both ways.

Does this mean alighting and departing at Watford Junction isn't permitted? If so, then why does it list it as a valid option when trying to book?

2. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

There have been issues with the new website, as you may know the sleeper has a new operator. A similar thing happened with seated sleeper bookings to Fort William. I suggest you give them an email/call/tweet and check what the reality is.

3. CyrusWuff

CyrusWuff Established Member

An alternative option would be to book at a ticket office, given most other websites won't let you book that far ahead.

4. Andrew1395

Andrew1395 Member

I don't think sleepers set down at WFJ on the Up Trains anyway.

5. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

AFAIK, the Highland sleeper doesn't, but the Lowland does.

6. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

I wonder if, once the new stock arrives (presumably with SDO) whether they would consider serving the rather bigger market at Milton Keynes Central?

7. Merseysider

Merseysider Established Member Fares Advisor

Up line to London or up Northwards?

8. causton

causton Established Member

Well they wouldn't set down at Watford Junction going north would they ;)

FWIW Try a booking office as they *may* (if they know how to issue sleeper tickets) be able to do it - I was told when I wanted to go, to book to Euston and tell the crew when I boarded I wanted to alight at WFJ!

9. CyrusWuff

CyrusWuff Established Member

Given the OP wants to book the Seated Sleeper, rather than a Berth, any Ticket Office capable of issuing tickets requiring reservations should be able to do it...It's left as an exercise for the reader as to whether or not they will do it, however!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.