• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper Variable Flexible Ticket Pricing (Old Stock)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FQTV

I have a flexible reservation on The Highlander from Inverness to London Euston, booked when the best available fare for sole-occupancy of a Standard Twin Room was £235, so ticket type IS3 - 'Classic Solo'.

At booking, I was able to select a room in the centre of the sleeping car.

I now see that, on the service that I am booked on, the best available flexible fare is down to £165, so ticket type IS0 - 'Classic Solo', but nominally still a Standard Twin Room.

The only available room is, however, at one end of the sleeping car, adjacent to the toilets.

Does anyone 'in the know' know whether the IS0 availability is likely to be associated with the subjectively inferior room location, or is it purely a demand-driven/dynamic-pricing effect?

If it's the latter, I am naturally pondering whether cancelling my existing booking would release the better-positioned room, allowing it to become selectable at the £70 lower IS0 fare (subject to the usual risk that someone might jump in at that very second and select it from under me).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FQTV

In case it’s of value to others, I have empirically concluded that it’s a demand-driven/dynamic-pricing effect.

It would therefore suggest that, with flexible reservations, it’s worth checking availability regularly after booking to see if fares have moderated - at least for services that continue to be operated by the old stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.