• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BlueLeanie

According to reports in the Scottish press, cabins from Inverness were without a water supply on the Southbound on Friday 12.

Fed-up passengers paid £400 for an overnight stay on the luxury Caledonian Sleeper train but were unable to wash and had to use a communal toilet after being left without running water throughout their 12-hour journey.

Punters travelling from Inverness Station to London at 8:30pm on Friday, April 12, learned as they boarded that some compartments would be without water in their private sleeping compartments.

That meant they couldn't have a shower and were left unable to flush, or use, their toilet throughout the trip to Euston Station in London.

Will the toilets work like a traditional syphon if you pour bottled water down them or are they more like an aircraft loo?

Just booked my first trip on caledonian sleeper. Fort William to Crewe in a week. Very expensive, but thought why not as a treat. Will be comparing with interest to the VR sleepers I have used extensively in Finland.

Kite159

Veteran Member
According to reports in the Scottish press, cabins from Inverness were without a water supply on the Southbound on Friday 12.

Will the toilets work like a traditional syphon if you pour bottled water down them or are they more like an aircraft loo?
I hope those passengers got some money back for being without water.

After-all imagine booking into a hotel with ensuite only to be told "sorry, en-suite isn't working, you will need to use the shared toilets down the corridor and on the next floor down".

ld0595

Geoff Marshall posted a good video about servicing the sleeper coaches at Polmadie Depot which may be of interest to some.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

After-all imagine booking into a hotel with ensuite only to be told "sorry, en-suite isn't working, you will need to use the shared toilets down the corridor and on the next floor down".

I'm sure this sort of thing happens (e.g. needing to get temporary portabogs in outside), though it hasn't to me. I'd certainly expect a full refund if Premier Inn did that to me, though I suspect normally if it was an option to relocate people to another branch of the hotel chain they'd probably do that in the first instance, an option not really open to CS.

Established Member

I've kind of had that happen.

Booked a single room with shared facilities, was upgraded to a double en suite. The bog door jammed shut after I'd used it (thankfully!) And neither me nor a maintenance guy who reception sent up could open it again.

I was told the facilities were on the floor below, but wasn't offered any compensation (which in fairness, wouldn't have really been justified to complain about given I did only pay the cheapest rate for shared facilities) nor, surprisingly, was I offered the option to "downgrade" to a room on the lower floor where the shared facilities were.

jagardner1984

I've had a partial refund for lack of water on a CS journey before (Classic not club). It was an inconvenient but not a tragedy. I'd imagine if you'd paid a specific premium for an ensuite facility - it would be more annoying not to be able to use it.

trainophile

Established Member
It must be a fairly common occurrence. The first time I did the EUS-FTW journey about seven years ago my cabin had no running water in the sink. I was moved to another cabin that did have water, but I'd booked a 1st Class ticket so that the upper bunk was folded away, whereas my replacement cabin had both bunks in place which rather spoilt the experience. I did mention it in the review (that they asked for!) but didn't get any acknowledgement let alone any money back.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
We got a partial refund when we complained that the lounge was unavailable in both directions despite paying Club. Firstly because the lift wasn't working at Euston despite being told it was (my wife was in a wheelchair due to an accident that occurred between booking and traveling), and secondly because despite turning up at Inverness on the dot of the advertised opening time we were turned away because it was already full!