• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrEd

When the lounge cars are out of use, does that usually mean no catering at all? Or just no food?

If the train has no working lounge car in the formation at all, there’s generally no catering at all in the evening. Breakfast (pre-ordered) and morning tea is served from attendants’ pantries to cabins, so it is generally still available in the morning (although one or two breakfast options may not be possible). I don’t think that the attendants’ pantries can hold all the supplies needed in the evening, which explains why you can get breakfast but nothing in the evening.

In the days before lounge cars (I.e. up until the late 80s), the attendants’ pantries were of course used for evening catering (although this was limited to tea/coffee, a limited range of drinks and maybe biscuits and crisps).

Last edited:

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Not serious....

But if no lounge cars open, how about having a Burger Van at each boarding station at the platform entrance, then you can at least get something hot to eat before your trip begins. :D:rolleyes::lol:

side effect

I'm having trouble with traksy. Seems to untrack 1s25 each time i navigate away. Btw it's 31minutes late.

DEE-DE

Will be travelling on a Britrail pass plus supplement as this is better value than their own combined fares even with a 16-25 railcard that's just about still valid. (€110 1st 2days/1 month flexipass bought at my local DB ticket office). I think if you don't have a railcard this offer they sent me by email might actually be cheaper than their standard combined fares:

Dear Guest

We have noticed you have booked a Room Supplement for a future travel date on board Caledonian Sleeper.

This email is to advice that Room Supplements do not include travel and only work in combination with a valid travel ticket.

Travel tickets which can be used in conjunction with Room Supplements are:-
  • Anytime
  • Off-Peak
  • Super Off-Peak
  • All Line Rover
  • Britrail Pass
  • Inter-Rail Pass
  • Euro-rail Pass
  • FIP Coupons
Rooms supplements cannot be used with dedicated Caledonian Sleeper seated tickets or Advance tickets for travel on other operator’s services.

First Class travel tickets can be used in conjunction with either Club or Classic accommodation, please note the Room Supplement defines which room type you are in, not your travel ticket.

Standard travel tickets can only be used in conjunction with Classic Room Supplements.

If you already hold one of the travel tickets listed above, no further action is required.

If you have purchased a Room Supplement and do not have a travel ticket then the following options are available:
  1. An any operator ticket can be purchased for the journey these can be purchased from stations or other sellers, Caledonian Sleeper does not sell these tickets. This can be purchased up to train departure and does not need to be purchased in advance.
  2. If you have purchased the Room Supplement in error we are offering the option to purchase a travel ticket directly with Caledonian Sleeper, which are priced at £50 per room in Classic accommodation or £100 per room in Club accommodation. This discounted travel ticket purchase option is available until 22 July 2019 and if you wish to proceed with this option please confirm by replying to this email. In turn we will forward instructions for payment processing and confirmation.
  3. If you no longer wish to travel please reply to this email advising of your CSW booking reference and we will refund the cost of your Room Supplement and send a confirmation email of cancellation.
For any correspondence related to this subject please reply to this email and our team will assist with your enquiry and next steps.

Scotrail84

Established Member
10 sleeper coaches - no seats
Observed at Carlisle

Has to have a brake (seated) coach otherwise it can't run, if the set needs stabled without a loco the handbrake in the guards van must be applied and vehicles scotched.

VT 390

Established Member
Does anyone know what time I can use the Euston first class lounge from to use the Highlander?
I an aware it is 2 hours before but as boarding should be at 20:30 and departure at 21:15 I am not sure if I can use the lounge from 18:30 or 19:15.
Thanks

marks87

Established Member
Something went wrong with the northbound Glasgow portion this morning, between Udingston and Newton.

Nothing on the Caledonian Sleeper Twitter, though, just on ScotRail's - seemingly wanting to emphasise the "train fault" wasn't one of theirs.

alistairlees

Established Member
Does anyone know what time I can use the Euston first class lounge from to use the Highlander?
I an aware it is 2 hours before but as boarding should be at 20:30 and departure at 21:15 I am not sure if I can use the lounge from 18:30 or 19:15.
Thanks
The lounge is tired and provides little benefit (some free soft drinks / tea / coffee, and free biscuits). Use the Fuller's ("The Signal Box") next door instead, which is new and much better (though nothing is free of course). It has plenty of plugs for laptops etc.

InOban

Established Member
Something went wrong with the northbound Glasgow portion this morning, between Udingston and Newton.

Nothing on the Caledonian Sleeper Twitter, though, just on ScotRail's - seemingly wanting to emphasise the "train fault" wasn't one of theirs.

Fortunately they got it on the move fairly quickly. But certainly the first report of an issue on the new stock for over a week.

marks87

Established Member
Fortunately they got it on the move fairly quickly. But certainly the first report of an issue on the new stock for over a week.

I am slightly concerned that things are going too well ahead of my planned trip on Friday night... o_O

VT 390

Established Member
The lounge is tired and provides little benefit (some free soft drinks / tea / coffee, and free biscuits). Use the Fuller's ("The Signal Box") next door instead, which is new and much better (though nothing is free of course). It has plenty of plugs for laptops etc.
The main reason I want to use the lounge is for the showers, I think they are still there.

side effect

We are on the northbank highlander on the 6th coming back the same day, no luggage at all, just a ride then haircut trampoline park and then back.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I thought the sleeper had gone over to 73/9 operation so I was suprised to see 67020 on the top of the Inverness portion when I alighted at Aviemore this morning.

Ps also a 90 on the crewe - Edinburgh section :(

Last edited:

mralexn

This was posted on twitter earlier on regarding the lighting in the seated coaches on the new trains. Is it more common than not that they are on full all night or do they actually dim them?

People also complain about the AC being far too cold in this carriage throughout the night. Again is this a common thing or just peoples personal preference?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-07-09 19.46.41.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-09 19.46.41.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 191

swapmeetpete

People also complain about the AC being far too cold in this carriage throughout the night. Again is this a common thing or just peoples personal preference?

The aircon is out of control. Cold air blows out of the vents below the window onto your neck. The coach is absolutely freezing after a few hours.

Mainliner

This was posted on twitter earlier on regarding the lighting in the seated coaches on the new trains. Is it more common than not that they are on full all night or do they actually dim them?

It seems very common. One of the latest Tripadvisor reviews:

“Staff won't switch off or dim the lights. Cold air blasts you all night. The seat is hard and barely reclines. The old stock was better as it had none of these issues.”

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes

It seems very common. One of the latest Tripadvisor reviews:

“Staff won't switch off or dim the lights. Cold air blasts you all night. The seat is hard and barely reclines. The old stock was better as it had none of these issues.”

The old stock still had the lights on all night albeit on the "dim" setting (alternating tubes) and with mucky yellowed (almost sodium yellow) diffusers.

Chrism20

Established Member
I'm assuming the lighting is H&S although I would have thought that the lights could have been dimmed somewhat and possibly strip lighting on the floor (Similar to the emergency lighting on aeroplanes) and it would have passed muster with the H&S authorities.

It's definitely a major issue as it's something that is being mentioned fairly regularly on social media. The AC though should surely be able to be controlled by the crew.