• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Muenchener

Was out early this morning, 20th Jul 19, to see a class 90 work the delayed (1M16) INV to EUS which was diverted thru Buckshaw Parkway due to Engineer works at Acton Grange on the WCML. Possibly the first routing on the Bolton corridor since the electrification of the route was finally completed earlier this year.

I did record a video but unable to upload due to file size. :s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InOban

Established Member
I assume that if they have switched the Highlander to Mk5, they haven't yet been cleared for the Oban line

marks87

Established Member
I travelled in June, no lectern then. Check in was:

* CS team member at end of Euston platform ramp, checking tickets and confirming reservation, then directed to...

* Another CS team member outside the relevant part of the train with list of reservations and room key cards. Confirm name and reservation, and you’re in.

* breakfast cards were in the room, to be filled in and hung on door handles, like in a hotel.

The whole process took about a minute.

When I travelled last week, it was the same process except the key cards were in the rooms.

All doors were locked open and it was up to each passenger to activate their key card by tapping it twice against the lock. Cue a lot of people either sending out a travelling companion in case it didn’t work or, in my case, testing it with the door open.

MrEd

That's a very good shout to be fair I hadn't considered that

The Highlander is not Mk5s at the moment, though. It’ll still be Mk2s/Mk3s until September at least, I think. I think when the WHL is closed at the end of this month/start of next month, the plan is to divert the Fort William portion to Kingussie (leaving it attached to the Inverness portion north of Edinburgh, and running it to Inverness for servicing along with that portion’s regular 8 coaches) from where passengers can be taken to Tulloch, Roy Bridge, Spean Bridge and Fort William at a sociable time. This isn’t necessarily ideal, as stations between Corrour and Glasgow are left without a sleeper service or any replacement transport (Corrour is impossible to do anything about, and admittedly it won’t be much of an inconvenience for folk going to/from Dalmuir, Dumbarton and Helensburgh to use the Lowlander, but for places north of Helensburgh it might become needlessly awkward). However, this is what CS have decided to do on this occasion. Perhaps there were good reasons why diversion to Oban was deemed impossible/not practical on this occasion? Passengers (and the Fort William based crew, whose shifts are long enough as it is) will reach Fort William much quicker using the Kingussie diversion than they would by going to Oban and being bussed from there, which may be a consideration.

While it may be an interesting route for enthusiasts and casual leisure travellers, and ensures that the Loch Lomond villages, Crianlarich and Tyndrum are still served, I’m not myself convinced of the usefulness of the Oban diversions. While Oban may be a convenient railhead for North Argyll, Mull and the southern Hebrides, it may be somewhat out of the way for a lot of the Fort William-bound passengers (whose likely destinations are somewhat further north, in Lochaber or the Great Glen) and the poor Fort William crew who need to get home. I for one (as my actual destination is a wee place 15 miles east of Kyle of Lochalsh, which is most easily accessed by a bus from Spean Bridge through Invergarry and Glen Shiel which connects well with the sleeper) would not find a diversion to Oban useful, and would make sure that I was booked on the Inverness portion if that happened (a bus from Kingussie to Spean Bridge would probably be more helpful than an Oban diversion in my case, though I would probably be better off just going to Inverness and getting the Kyle train).

InOban

Established Member
The first time that it was diverted into Oban it was booked solid by a certain type of enthusiast, but the second time there was little publicity and I don't think it was busy. Of course Oban being by far the more important destination by year-round traffic.... But I'm biased. It was very expensive since the coaches had to be hauled to and from Polmadie every day for servicing.

al78

Established Member
You won't see much of it in weather over the next few days.

True, NW Scotland is under a yellow rain warning for Monday and Tuesday. The summer so far seems to have had a strong SE/NW split, whilst since late June the SE has been very dry, Scotland has copped the Atlantic rain bearing weather systems. When I was up there in the first half of June, I had one evening out of 13 days when I could have got a view from a Munro summit, but the weather was still much better than in parts of England at the time.

mmh

Established Member
It would, but then that wouldn't allow the crew to buzz off early, which is why they try their utmost to turf everyone out asap.

Do the crew not sign on and sign off duty?

It feels more likely they're aiming to clock off on time rather than early.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
True, NW Scotland is under a yellow rain warning for Monday and Tuesday. The summer so far seems to have had a strong SE/NW split, whilst since late June the SE has been very dry, Scotland has copped the Atlantic rain bearing weather systems. When I was up there in the first half of June, I had one evening out of 13 days when I could have got a view from a Munro summit, but the weather was still much better than in parts of England at the time.

I lucked out* on my trip, all Munros (that I went up!) were clear. Hoping for more of the same later in the year.

*first time for everything. Generally my Munro views have been grey and wet.

manxqueenies

Fort William to Eus tonight- been looking forward for ages as part of ALR trip. Thought about changing to Glasgow due to old carriages- but a sucker for the scenery. Arrived Fort William this afternoon- it's the really old blue carriages, but scenery Brill, especially from the lounge. Now text saying no lounge service - get your own food and drink in. Staff shortage quoted.

Text sent as Tescos was closing.

£100 supplement for old room, £20 refund promised for old train (not received) and no service on route.

I thought the comments on this chain were being harsh. They are not.

Such a shame - I've thoroughly enjoyed the sleeper on my annual ALR. God knows how the regulars put up with this.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Fort William to Eus tonight- been looking forward for ages as part of ALR trip. Thought about changing to Glasgow due to old carriages- but a sucker for the scenery. Arrived Fort William this afternoon- it's the really old blue carriages, but scenery Brill, especially from the lounge. Now text saying no lounge service - get your own food and drink in. Staff shortage quoted.

Morrisons doesn't close till 20:00.....

paul1609

Established Member
In the Second half of June I had the opposite problem; temperatures in the high 20s as I passed through on the old road to Skye past Cluanie Inn and Glen Affric on my Lands End to John o Groats walk.

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
A lot of English visitors don't realise that Scottish supermarkets don't have the same restricted Sunday opening hours. We'll take your money any time.

Highlandspring

Established Member
A lot of English visitors don't realise that Scottish supermarkets don't have the same restricted Sunday opening hours. We'll take your money any time.
Similarly it was a big shock to me when I moved (briefly) to England and found out about their crazy Sunday opening restrictions. They certainly do things differently there.

I'm on the Up Highlander on Wednesday night. First time on the sleeper since Serco took over. I will ensure that I am loaded up with food and drink from Wick Co-op that afternoon as otherwise I can see (a) a text saying no lounge received as we pull away from Georgemas and there's no time for a Morrisons leap at Inverness, or (b) the lounge car is open but full / staff having a bad day / whatever.

At least with the Mk3s I can lurk in a vestibule letting the glorious Highland air wash over me for a bit

manxqueenies

Lounge car of picnics- yes turns out morrisons open and I have a decent spread.... not quite fine hotel experience- but damned good bottle of wine for a tenner, proper wine glass 60p and lots of nibbles. Not what was expected - just hope Pullman doesn't let me down tomorrow !

bobbyrail

£100 supplement for old room, £20 refund promised for old train (not received) and no service on route.

I thought the comments on this chain were being harsh. They are not.

Such a shame - I've thoroughly enjoyed the sleeper on my annual ALR. God knows how the regulars put up with this.

Thought about changing to Glasgow due to the old carriages, but didn't and then continued to complain about the old stock.

Sorry but i am not following you, i take it you wanted to experience the sleeper with the new stock, but as you will be aware from reading this thread this currently only runs on the Lowlander route. So my question to you is why were you so surprised that you were travelling on MK3 Stock??????

Steve Harris

Thought about changing to Glasgow due to the old carriages, but didn't and then continued to complain about the old stock.

Sorry but i am not following you, i take it you wanted to experience the sleeper with the new stock, but as you will be aware from reading this thread this currently only runs on the Lowlander route. So my question to you is why were you so surprised that you were travelling on MK3 Stock??????
How I read it is, he thought about changing to Glasgow but the scenery outweighed the new stock. He is also travelling on a All Line Rover (so perhaps a lot of hassle rearranging his itinerary to go from Glasgow).

I don't think he is surprised by the Mk3's but probably dissapointed by no lounge car open and no £20 refund.

Struner

In the second half of June I had the opposite problem temperatures in the high 20s as i passed through on the old road to Skye past Clunnie Inn and Glen Affic on my Lands End to John o Groats walk.
sic
Funny spelling, but I hope you enjoyed it. & the midges weren't too bad yet.

manxqueenies

Well nearly in London and not to bad a sleep. I ordered the much maligned highland breakfast. Not the one to get excited about - served in cardboard, plastic cutlery could get through the softer elements only. Such a shame, its almost 12 months since I was last on this service when breakfast was on ceramic dish, metal cutlery and teapot....today's offering I have tried to upload a pic. And I know it sounds a moan - but this must be one of the best journeys you can take in UK. It's just not what it was and a lot pricier.20190722_070734.jpg

paul1609

Established Member
sic
Funny spelling, but I hope you enjoyed it. & the midges weren't too bad yet.
Sorry must not post without my glasses, Yes was the trip of a lifetime. Midges started in Northumberland and peaked around the North End of Loch Lomond not too bad north of the Skye Road.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Well nearly in London and not to bad a sleep. I ordered the much maligned highland breakfast. Not the one to get excited about - served in cardboard, plastic cutlery could get through the softer elements only. Such a shame, its almost 12 months since I was last on this service when breakfast was on ceramic dish, metal cutlery and teapot....today's offering I have tried to upload a pic. And I know it sounds a moan - but this must be one of the best journeys you can take in UK. It's just not what it was and a lot pricier.

At least it's paper and not polystyrene, and they won't come and try to wrestle it out of your grip well before MKC as they used to.