• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

TimboM

Established Member
Exactly, I don't believe that the Highlander will stand up on mk5s if it relies on the too few 73s they have.

But I'm sure they know what they're doing...
A minimum of three of six 73/9s are required to operate the service each night (can stick a 66/67 on front of one if you really have to - not ideal, but would work). That's only 50% fleet availability - typically you'd be looking for 80% plus.
Not sure how many more you think are required? If the contract requirements / costs / penalties were such that more were needed, there would be more.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TimboM

Established Member
Can they run the Inverness to Edinburgh section with a single 73?
A single 73/9 has hauled a Load 8 plus 2x 92s before on its own which is equivalent to a Load 14. They've also done the Carstairs portion quite a few times (Load 8) in service. There's gradients on that route, but not quite like there are up to Slochd Summit.
So it's feasible, but would be pretty risky in anything other than ideal railhead conditions.

TimboM

Established Member
Still not left Glasgow yet . Will the Edinburgh portion wait at Carstairs?
Yes - as the loco and driver that takes the combined 1M11 forward is the one from Glasgow. The Edinburgh portion loco also needs to stay at Carstairs to work 1B26 in the morning.
Would have to be exceptional circumstances (e.g. complete cancellation) for one portion not to wait for the other as throws everything out of kilter.

TimboM

Established Member
Still not left Glasgow yet . Will the Edinburgh portion wait at Carstairs?
…would appear 92006(?) has just dropped 92014 off in the Polmadie Down Holding Sidings and now heading back to take 1M11. ETD 0130?

route101

Established Member
Yes - as the loco and driver that takes the combined 1M11 forward is the one from Glasgow. The Edinburgh portion loco also needs to stay at Carstairs to work 1B26 in the morning.
Would have to be exceptional circumstances (e.g. complete cancellation) for one portion not to wait for the other as throws everything out of kilter.

Not sure what the issue is here . No information from staff.
Might be on the 0428 VT service to Euston at this rate

route101

Established Member
Overhead, apparently a 73 hauling us and 92 to take us from there
A drunk guy is kicking off.

alangla

Away 0152 apparently and lost another half hour at Carstairs. Currently at Oxenholme when it should be south of Rugby

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
…would appear 92006(?) has just dropped 92014 off in the Polmadie Down Holding Sidings and now heading back to take 1M11. ETD 0130?

Away 0152 apparently and lost another half hour at Carstairs

I've just viewed it on the Preston Railcam and its a GBRf liveried version - possibly 92043 was used off the Edinburgh Carstairs portion and the delay was caused by swapping 92006 for 92043 there?

6Z09

In times of delay the dellner couplings will be a hinderance rather than a help.
Currently a late running northbound Highlander is able to make up time at Waverley with a slick split,dont see that being the case with the new stock and dellners!

GrimShady

Established Member
As far as I know the industrial action's still going ahead on the stated days even with the further postponement of mk5s on the Highlander, but it doesn't alter the fact that the strike has been called over the period when the new stock was due to start.

My take on it is that they're probably doing a load of work in the hopes of heading off the strike, and they can only do that by postponing. So in that sense the action has been effective.

I really am torn at the moment. What's the bigger shambles, this or Scotrail HSTs? It does make you wonder about Transport Scotland's governance, there are so many examples of overruns and chaos, I think that they get off very lightly generally.

Let's not forget the severely late 385s, the failed bike hire scheme, the garbage 156 refit, the total failure of the "scenic stock", the failed steam excursions........

Have I forgot anything?

TimboM

Established Member
I've just viewed it on the Preston Railcam and its a GBRf liveried version - possibly 92043 was used off the Edinburgh Carstairs portion and the delay was caused by swapping 92006 for 92043 there?
Turns out it was 73968 that did the rescue mission from Polmadie and worked 1M11 to Carstairs - which explains the need for the loco switch.

Established Member
A minimum of three of six 73/9s are required to operate the service each night (can stick a 66/67 on front of one if you really have to - not ideal, but would work). That's only 50% fleet availability - typically you'd be looking for 80% plus.
Not sure how many more you think are required? If the contract requirements / costs / penalties were such that more were needed, there would be more.
Fair enough, and time will tell.

BRX

Established Member
I'm going to put my money on it being August or September before the mk5s appear on the highlander. Not because i have any special info... just looks like it's going that way to me.

I think I might revise this to Christmas, or something.

The first of my predictions from June has come to pass - I wonder about the second...

mmh

Established Member
I have heard of people complaining of taps being either too hot or too cold on the Mk5s, without realising that there is an adjustable handle as opposed to two taps. Or people who expect a silent ride despite common sense dictating that it is simply unachievable when moving through cross country on Victorian alignments at 80mph. By all means complain where it's justified, but a few need to rethink their parameters. But at the end of the day, the one's who need to do this most is Serco.

I can't picture anybody being confused by a mixer tap! As for the "silent ride", Euston to Glasgow is hardly a "Victorian alignment", it's a very much improved route where daytime trains offer silent rides at 125mph. If the sleeper is noisy at 80mph it can only be down to the trains being rubbish.

JModulo

I can't picture anybody being confused by a mixer tap! As for the "silent ride", Euston to Glasgow is hardly a "Victorian alignment", it's a very much improved route where daytime trains offer silent rides at 125mph. If the sleeper is noisy at 80mph it can only be down to the trains being rubbish.

Having travelled on the Mk5s several times now (I don't use the earplugs) there is certainly more noise on them regardless of where in the coach you are compared to the mk3s. The ride is rougher also.

trebor79

Established Member
Only used the Mk5 once but my perception was also that the ride definitely wasn't as smooth and was perhaps noisier than the Mk3 (I do use earplugs, even at home most nights).
The lack of noise insulation is puzzling.

Only used the Mk5 once but my perception was also that the ride definitely wasn't as smooth and was perhaps noisier than the Mk3 (I do use earplugs, even at home most nights).
The lack of noise insulation is puzzling.

Because it's cheaper, having the air con outlet next to your shoulder is a master stroke worthy of a sadist

mcmad

Noted at Inverness just as I was leaving on the 0845 unmodified Baby HST to Glasgow on Weds 18/9/19 was a Highlander Sleeper train MKIII coach in GWR Green livery ..can anyone explain why this vehicle has got into the Caledonia Slpr workings please ? Temp. loan from GWR or in due course to be transferred into the GWR Padd/ Pz Night Riviera workings?
Are you sure it was a mk3 sleeper as Scotrail have several mk3 day coaches in GWR green scattered around the country.

BRX

Established Member
Are you sure it was a mk3 sleeper as Scotrail have several mk3 day coaches in GWR green scattered around the country.
That or it's one of the mk3s that are painted in CS livery, not dissimilar from GWR green.

Amlag

That or it's one of the mk3s that are painted in CS livery, not dissimilar from GWR green.

Ah it was probably one of those ..I only saw the above window area of the coach and it was about a couple sleeper cars back from the London end of the sleeper train in the plat at Inverness.

I know it is (still I assume ) planned to transfer a few displaced Caldonia MkIII sleepers to the Padd/ Pz sleeper workings as the number of sleeper coaches is being increased.

Furrball

The Twitter team seemed to disappear before the service departed Glasgow last night (this morning) and have been MIA all day!