• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BRX

Established Member
I reckon WCRC could do quite good business running a pseudo-sleeper service, with the mk3s, to Fort William in the summer. A scattering of Friday/Sunday night workings, maybe arriving later / leaving earlier than the 'real' sleeper. Put a pair of 37s on the front. They'd get my interest, anyway. I suppose the pricing might not work out.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I reckon WCRC could do quite good business running a pseudo-sleeper service, with the mk3s, to Fort William in the summer. A scattering of Friday/Sunday night workings, maybe arriving later / leaving earlier than the 'real' sleeper. Put a pair of 37s on the front. They'd get my interest, anyway. I suppose the pricing might not work out.

Where to/from?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
London, if I had my way. How about Kensington Olympia?

Given the most recent published accounts from CS, and assuming that any independent operator wanted to make a profit, you’d be adding at least £100, probably twice that, to the typical current fare. In fact probably a lot more as it would be a completely independent operation, with no efficiency in train crew or the combination of trains to Edinburgh.

And the ORR might have something to say about abstraction from CS.

In any event I think the current operators that use Kensington Olympia might have something to say about any train that requires a station stop of more than 3 minutes.

BRX

Established Member
Given the most recent published accounts from CS, and assuming that any independent operator wanted to make a profit, you’d be adding at least £100, probably twice that, to the typical current fare. In fact probably a lot more as it would be a completely independent operation, with no efficiency in train crew or the combination of trains to Edinburgh.

And the ORR might have something to say about abstraction from CS.

In any event I think the current operators that use Kensington Olympia might have something to say about any train that requires a station stop of more than 3 minutes.
To be clear, I'm talking about a railtour type thing, not a service train. Like I already said, yes maybe the pricing could never work. I'll be interested to find out what plans WCRC have for the sleepers though.

w1bbl3

As an alternative assuming not London but far enough away for a sleeper to make sense and large market then maybe Birmingham? could be timed to connect with XC and VT day trains for onward travel and originating travel and the Jacobite..

Established Member
They've been 'parked' in one of the sidings outside the WCRC depot, just south of Carnforth station seemingly all day:
Carnforth eh. No doubt I'll spend the next five years passing by every few days slowly watching them crumble into rust like everything else in that place...

They could just be there for MK3 spares, if WCRC pick up a team for charters, similar to all those parcels Van's they bought

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
To be clear, I'm talking about a railtour type thing, not a service train. Like I already said, yes maybe the pricing could never work. I'll be interested to find out what plans WCRC have for the sleepers though.

Ah sorry, I misunderstood.

Are there any existing charter operators that use sleeper stock?

BRX

Established Member
Ah sorry, I misunderstood.

Are there any existing charter operators that use sleeper stock?
The royal scotsman has sleeping cars, including a couple of mk3s but I think they are for staff? And I've seen a mk3 sleeper in the northern belle but again I think that might just be for staff?

marks87

Established Member
The royal scotsman has sleeping cars, including a couple of mk3s but I think they are for staff? And I've seen a mk3 sleeper in the northern belle but again I think that might just be for staff?

There's two (double) passenger cabins in one of the mk3s, as well as staff accommodation and a generator. The other mk3 is for staff (plus another generator).

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Oh dear.. 5M11 is having power related problems having departed London Euston. The locomotive is being reset. As this happens, it is (or was if it has since moved) trapping Virgin's 09:00 to Manchester/09:03 to Birmingham and 09:10 to Holyhead from departing.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Oh dear.. 5M11 is having power related problems having departed London Euston. The locomotive is being reset. As this happens, it is (or was if it has since moved) trapping Virgin's 09:00 to Manchester/09:03 to Birmingham and 09:10 to Holyhead from departing.

Currently on 1R20 waiting to get in to Euston. It’s blocking platforms 1-7 apparently.

8stewartt

LSL at Crewe have also had 9 of the MK3’s.

A new service on the west coast would be prohibited I’d have thought due to franchising. However, a new service covering a different route would not. I wonder if this is LSL’s plan?

Maybe something like Plymouth or Bristol TM via Gloucester, Birmingham, Newcastle to Edinburgh?

syorksdeano

As an alternative assuming not London but far enough away for a sleeper to make sense and large market then maybe Birmingham? could be timed to connect with XC and VT day trains for onward travel and originating travel and the Jacobite..

That wouldn't be a bad idea, but instead of using the WCML using the East Coast via Leeds and Sheffield.

Highland37

Established Member
Thanks. I meant how well did they cope on the main runs south/north when in sole charge? Were they working as hard as they could? Any slower or could they keep to time? Any reports from drivers?

captainbigun

They coped fine, don't forget 87s and the odd 86 covered this everyday in BR days and early days of privatisation when VT provided locos. They worked as hard as they needed to, it's not the same as 110mph IC services or intermodals. Timings easy, and on several occasions it was load 16 plus a dead 92.

Plenty of reports from the GB folk who have had to wave them goodbye.

hwl

Established Member
They coped fine, don't forget 87s and the odd 86 covered this everyday in BR days and early days of privatisation when VT provided locos. They worked as hard as they needed to, it's not the same as 110mph IC services or intermodals. Timings easy, and on several occasions it was load 16 plus a dead 92.

Plenty of reports from the GB folk who have had to wave them goodbye.
Exactly and still more power per coach that 75mph sprinters when loaded like that!

matacaster

On Moderation
How about st pancras, Leicester, Sheffield, Leeds, Skipton, Carlisle, Glasgow.
They could even call it. ... The Thames Clyde express!