• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

marks87

Established Member
Oh dear.
That livery just seems to show some streets in London, that’s all.
& in the tourist trade, what kind of international tourists would it appeal to, I wonder?
& as for €*, the same goes for Heathrow etc.
& it’s Inter7City liveries on Inter7City trains, but it’s a distant streets loco in Inverness.

I have absolutely no idea what you're going on about.

Although quite frankly I'd be worried if I did.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TimboM

Established Member
Just a thought...would there had of been another class 92 attached to the rear of the sleeper from Inverness/Aberdeen when it arrived in Euston Friday morning? (24th). 92033 was on the front.
Many thanks
The loco that worked the Lowlander from Glasgow/Edinburgh - 92010 - will have run round after the Highlander (INV/ABD/FTW) arrived to then take that stock back to Wembley.

It didn’t run from Edinburgh with another 92 on the rear.

You're either trolling or if you're actually serious which I'm finding increasingly hard to believe
Probably the former or at least deliberately obtuse, but either way best left un-fed. Everyone else recognises the relevance in having transport-related publicity of London as a calling point on the route, even if it is just a fortunate coincidence. It's an appropriate change from things like highland views.

Spaceship323

This afternoon I saw 92 033 heading north on the ecml, light engine, towards Dunbar. Can't find the working on real time trains so what was it doing there, any info appreciated

Far north 37

Established Member
This afternoon I saw 92 033 heading north on the ecml, light engine, towards Dunbar. Can't find the working on real time trains so what was it doing there, any info appreciated
Cant find the movement myself but 92020 the sleeper loco at edinburgh done a return light engine move from edinburgh to tweedmouth yesterday which i presume is a driver training run and i assume 92033 was doing the same.

MrEd

Not sure. I do know that 92033 worked the up Highlander (1M16) southbound into Euston on Monday morning, but am unsure of its moves after that. Plausibly it reached Edinburgh on 1S25 again in the early hours of this morning?

JonathanH

Veteran Member

0Z92 1015 Edinburgh to Tweedmouth S.B.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/83670/2020-01-28/detailed

0Z94 1321 Tweedmouth S.B. to Edinburgh
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/83967/2020-01-28/detailed

Driver training using the engine off 1S25 that sits in the "Klondike siding" all day seems to be a reasonable explanation.

Far north 37

Established Member

TimboM

Established Member
...Driver training using the engine off 1S25 that sits in the "Klondike siding" all day seems to be a reasonable explanation.
That's correct. A run out to Tweedmouth and back with the Highlander loco that's usually sat in Waverley is one of the favoured approaches for traction learning/refreshing.

92020 was also used in similar fashion yesterday - photo (not mine) of it on the Royal Border Bridge here: https://flic.kr/p/2ikNNUN

Far north 37

Established Member
66721 swapped for 66707 on the invernes portion this morning paired with 73970 which was replacing 73969 for its first run out since its return from repairs at brush.

Last edited:

DimTim

I take it that there is a need at both Inverness & Edinburgh for the 66 & 73 to be separated each day & the order reversed for the class 66 to lead & 73 attach to the mark 5’s?

Far north 37

Established Member
I take it that there is a need at both Inverness & Edinburgh for the 66 & 73 to be separated each day & the order reversed for the class 66 to lead & 73 attach to the mark 5’s?
The locos are reversed through the station triangle at inverness without needing to be seperated and one will run round the other when they go to craigentinny before returning north at edinburgh.

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
ScotRail are reporting that the line is closed by flooding between Stirling and Larbert. I guess the Inverness portion will come by Fife.

Far north 37

Established Member
ScotRail are reporting that the line is closed by flooding between Stirling and Larbert. I guess the Inverness portion will come by Fife.
Still booked to go normal route nothing on the website advising stirling passenger either.

nlogax

Established Member
Just checking in on this thread..I'm doing another Lowlander run to Glasgow late next week and it looks like recent runs have been pretty reliable, as far as I can tell from RTT anyway. Is it fair to say that last year's stock issues are now firmly in the 'teething trouble' category?

Established Member
Just checking in on this thread..I'm doing another Lowlander run to Glasgow late next week and it looks like recent runs have been pretty reliable, as far as I can tell from RTT anyway. Is it fair to say that last year's stock issues are now firmly in the 'teething trouble' category?
Yes, it's a lot more settled now, both in terms of timekeeping and reliability of onboard equipment such as plumbing.

That's not to say that you might not find yourself in the middle of a spectacular delay, but those happened often enough with the old stock as well.

One less good piece of feedback I've had in the past week or so is that bits are starting to fall off in cabins already. Heating and lighting control knobs are starting to break, that sort of thing. Of course we all know what CAF stands for...

Essexman

Established Member
Southbound from Edinburgh cancelled tonight. Passengers to wait for Highlander. Not sure why not being put on Glasgow portion. Maybe not enough room.

leightonbd

Southbound from Edinburgh cancelled tonight. Passengers to wait for Highlander. Not sure why not being put on Glasgow portion. Maybe not enough room.
No loco to get the stock to Edinburgh (then back to Carstairs) or Glasgow? Staying on the platform till 1230 or 1am doesn’t seem like an option that will help the customers ...

Far north 37

Established Member
No loco to get the stock to Edinburgh (then back to Carstairs) or Glasgow? Staying on the platform till 1230 or 1am doesn’t seem like an option that will help the customers ...
3 class 92s at polmadie and theres 3 class 73s at craigentinny which could work the edinburgh portion if needed so no shortage of locos says cancelled due to a request by the train operator maybe a problem with the stock.

ajrm

All passengers being allowed to use the LNER first class lounge at Waverley according to the CS Twitter.

TimboM

Established Member
Some have been.

A Lowlander Regular I know was due to travel from Edinburgh and was given the option of waiting for the Highlander at 0130ish or heading to Glasgow for 1M11 (he did the latter).

It’s a stock issue not a traction issue.

Last edited:

mark-h

All passengers being allowed to use the LNER first class lounge at Waverley according to the CS Twitter.

It had a very poor hand written sign advertising it as the Caledonian Sleeper Lounge when I passed it earlier tonight.

elgin eagle

It's broken down. Lost power. Getting dragged back to Edinburgh possibly. Been somewhere near Carstairs for nearly 3 hours. Was supposed to be flying to France today. Ah well.

alangla

It's broken down. Lost power. Getting dragged back to Edinburgh possibly. Been somewhere near Carstairs for nearly 3 hours. Was supposed to be flying to France today. Ah well.
According to Traksy it’s still parked between Symington and Lamington. First TPE of the day has been in Carstairs UPL for 45 mins and the first Avanti is now stopped in Carstairs station.

Edit- things might be moving, Avanti now south of Carstairs

elgin eagle

According to Traksy it’s still parked between Symington and Lamington. First TPE of the day has been in Carstairs UPL for 45 mins and the first Avanti is now stopped in Carstairs station.

Edit- things might be moving, Avanti now south of Carstairs

Cheers. We are still stationary and no sign of a loco. Train is in darkness and pretty tomb-like.

Wonder how long it will block the main line for. Any other time of the day and it would be carnage.