• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Swimbar

Up Inverness highlander (1M16) has been stopped at Dunblane for a good while tonight. Storms not doing CS any favours. Guy at the train also mentioned he found loadings to be only up a little, which I found rather odd really.

EDIT: 0144, has now shunted backwards out of platform 1 across the trailing crossover and has pulled into platform 3. I am presuming the 73s will now run around and the train will head back north.
Passengers from Edinburgh put in two coaches of this mornings LNER Edinburgh- Kings Cross service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Steddenm

There was severe flooding between Dunblane and Stirling last night near Bridge of Allen so guessing this is why it was delayed/cancelled.

The Fort William service was also cancelled due to flooding at Garelochhead.

InOban

Established Member
The bridge over the Allan Water had reached its red level. Still closed.
I don't know why the red level is so far down the piers. Nowhere near even the start of the curved arches.

TimboM

Established Member
The bridge over the Allan Water had reached its red level. Still closed.
I don't know why the red level is so far down the piers. Nowhere near even the start of the curved arches.
It’s not to do with the water going over the top but the volume/pressure of the additional water on the bridge supports etc. (remember Lamington...?)

fgwrich

Established Member
It’s not to do with the water going over the top but the volume/pressure of the additional water on the bridge supports etc. (remember Lamington...?)

And to see the consequences, the Broadmeadow Viaduct in Malahide, Ireland.

A lot of closures like this will be where the concerns are what's happening under the water than above - if the bridge doesn't have adequate scour protection, it's all to easy for the water to wear away the base of the pier and undermine the pier / viaduct. Closures like this often involve the bridges getting checked over by Commercial Divers or ROVs before the all clear can be given.

InOban

Established Member
I assumed that it was due to scour protection. It's happened before during heavy rain and I would have thought that they would have addressed the issue by now. Reopened during the day, as did the WHL.

alangla

I assumed that it was due to scour protection. It's happened before during heavy rain and I would have thought that they would have addressed the issue by now. Reopened during the day, as did the WHL.

There’s 2 planning applications into the council to deal with it. Looks like this weather hit before the works were done unfortunately

Atlantic loco

Looking at the drawings I can see why the restriction is what it is.

TimboM

Established Member
Up Inverness highlander (1M16) has been stopped at Dunblane for a good while tonight. Storms not doing CS any favours. Guy at the train also mentioned he found loadings to be only up a little, which I found rather odd really.
Don't know who "guy at the train" is, but the loadings are significantly up - several services now full or near full - a far cry from the small handful of passengers on each train in the midst of Lockdown.

Speed43125

Don't know who "guy at the train" is,
That's a good question! Should have asked shouldn't I.... He was standing on the platform by the open door of the lounge car and was on the radio, I presumed he was train manager, but couldn't say for sure. Certainly was a member of staff on the train.

It struck me as odd too that he thought loadings had gone "up, but not by much". I did note while walking up the platform Coach P seemed completely deserted with lights on in everything compartment, couldn't see other carriages as the platform side windows faced the corridor.

Speed43125

66725 is on the Inverness sleeper again tonight, any ideas why? surely the reduced timetable would mean plenty of 73s should be available

TimboM

Established Member
66725 is on the Inverness sleeper again tonight, any ideas why? surely the reduced timetable would mean plenty of 73s should be available
It’s for driver training purposes (726 by the way).

Peter Sarf

Established Member
So. Apparently the two sleepers are loading to 16 coaches and 14 coaches on the WCML. Does that mean all but Aberdeen are now served or is there more than eight coaches going to Inverness, Fort-William or Edinburgh ?. I assume a Glasgow portion has been added ?.

TimboM

Established Member
So. Apparently the two sleepers are loading to 16 coaches and 14 coaches on the WCML. Does that mean all but Aberdeen are now served or is there more than eight coaches going to Inverness, Fort-William or Edinburgh ?. I assume a Glasgow portion has been added ?.
There are no Load 16s currently - they're running as either Load 14 or Load 8.

A revised/uplifted timetable has been in operation since mid-July, with two trains running in each direction - one to Inverness and Fort William and the other to Edinburgh, i.e. no services to Aberdeen or Glasgow Central.

The uplifted timetable has a Load 14 Highlander serving Inverness (x8) and Fort William (x6) and a Load 8 Lowlander serving Edinburgh only; along with 6 extra coaches being moved as ECS from/to Polmadie via the Lowlander in each direction twice per week (Southbound Sunday and Wednesday / Northbound Monday and Thursday) to rotate units for maintenance.

Peter Sarf

Established Member

A revised/uplifted timetable has been in operation since mid-July, with two trains running in each direction - one to Inverness and Fort William and the other to Edinburgh, i.e. no services to Aberdeen or Glasgow Central.

The uplifted timetable has a Load 14 Highlander serving Inverness (x8) and Fort William (x6) and a Load 8 Lowlander serving Edinburgh only; along with 6 extra coaches being moved as ECS from/to Polmadie via the Lowlander in each direction twice per week (Southbound Sunday and Wednesday / Northbound Monday and Thursday) to rotate units for maintenance.

Ah, thankyou for the info. It will be the ECS that will be making the extra 6 (not 8 - I can't count).

JohnMcL7

It’s for driver training purposes (726 by the way).

I noticed that locomotive was running light engine up and down between Aviemore a couple of times on Monday, was that related? I caught it on a return trip but not on the way back south despite waiting for it as I was caught out by its speed running on its own.

TimboM

Established Member
I noticed that locomotive was running light engine up and down between Aviemore a couple of times on Monday, was that related? I caught it on a return trip but not on the way back south despite waiting for it as I was caught out by its speed running on its own.
It is indeed - out again today I believe.

BRX

Established Member

Does that mean it's working as an 8 coach train between Edinburgh and fort william? Or are they not bothering with the lounge car?

TimboM

Established Member
Does that mean it's working as an 8 coach train between Edinburgh and fort william? Or are they not bothering with the lounge car?
The Fort William portion is currently Load 6 right the way through from/to Euston, ie Seats, Lounge, 1x PRM sleeper, 3x sleepers. No coaches added/subtracted at Waverley.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
To add to what @TimboM says above in case you don't know. There is currently no Aberdeen portion so the Seated coach and the Lounge car from Euston must be going to Fort-William.

BRX

Established Member
The Fort William portion is currently Load 6 right the way through from/to Euston, ie Seats, Lounge, 1x PRM sleeper, 3x sleepers. No coaches added/subtracted at Waverley.
Ah right, now I remember this being mentioned previously.

I wonder if it might prompt a move to having the added/subtracted coaches on the Aberdeen portion instead, if and when things go back to "normal".

xotGD

Established Member
To add to what @TimboM says above in case you don't know. There is currently no Aberdeen portion so the Seated coach and the Lounge car from Euston must be going to Fort-William.
Nice bonus for West Highland seated passengers not having to wake up and change coaches at Waverley. Although it does take away the photographic opportunities.

TimboM

Established Member
Nice bonus for West Highland seated passengers not having to wake up and change coaches at Waverley. Although it does take away the photographic opportunities.
Except the seats (and lounge) are currently out of use due to Covid-19 restrictions. Will be like that until at least 31 August, then to be reviewed after that.

xotGD

Established Member
Except the seats (and lounge) are currently out of use due to Covid-19 restrictions. Will be like that until at least 31 August, then to be reviewed after that.
Ah, yes. I forgot about that!

DaveTM

I am booked to go London to Inverness in the next week, with a reservation for my bicycle. I see there was a rail replacement bus substitution between Edinburgh and Inverness due to the flooding at Perth the other day. Does anyone know in this situation what happens to those passengers who have bikes? I cannot imagine my bicycle would survive being digested in the bowels of a coach during the trip from Edinburgh to Inverness :(

TimboM

Established Member
I am booked to go London to Inverness in the next week, with a reservation for my bicycle. I see there was a rail replacement bus substitution between Edinburgh and Inverness due to the flooding at Perth the other day. Does anyone know in this situation what happens to those passengers who have bikes? I cannot imagine my bicycle would survive being digested in the bowels of a coach during the trip from Edinburgh to Inverness :(
As of this Saturday morning just gone, it’s no longer a rail replacement bus/coach (RRB). Trains are back running albeit via Fife/Ladybank (so some intermediate stations aren’t served).

As far as I’m aware the RRBs conveyed all the various accompaniments passengers had with them last week, but presumably bikes will have gone in the luggage compartments.

InOban

Established Member
The route from Perth to Edinburgh via Fife has reopened. I assume that the CS will be diverted that way if the Stirling route is still closed, although a post on another thread suggests that it will reopen tomorrow.

_toommm_

Established Member
Noticed that 1M12 had a brief visit into Carlisle Kingmoor this morning, and there were power supply problems in the Carlisle area. Did it perhaps have a loco swap for a diesel replacement?

markymark2000

On Moderation
Can I please ask, pre covid, what happened to the locomotive off the Edinburgh lowlander. At Carstairs of course the two portions join and the Glasgow loco continues south. Did the Edinburgh locomotive wait there until 6am for the return lowlander sleeper?
I ask because having looked at what could happen with the Cally sleeper, you need 3 x 73s per night and 5 x 92s per night however I have looked at an alternative using 3 x 73s and only 4 x 92s. I don't think this is currently done since I can't find any paths in RTT for this to work logistically.
My alternative is make the loco off which does Edinburgh to Carstairs on the lowlander run back to Edinburgh to convey the highlander (and the 92 loco off the highlander which uncoupled at Edinburgh then going to Carstairs to haul the Edinburgh lowlander north to Edinburgh).

I also ask why does Cally need 3x 73s spare? A peak of 3 is needed so having 3 spare is quite extreme. Account for 3 operational and 1 in for repairs, you then need 1 spare and as has been mentioned above, it shows alternative locos can haul the sleeper so surely you should only need 2 spares rather than 3? Can anyone expand on that?

Given the subsidy that is given to the sleeper, having such a high requirement for the locomotives isn't good as they are paying to have them sat around half the day doing nothing.

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member
Noticed that 1M12 had a brief visit into Carlisle Kingmoor this morning, and there were power supply problems in the Carlisle area. Did it perhaps have a loco swap for a diesel replacement?
Wires down on Up Main due to a fallen tree. It was alongside Kingmoor Yard, so 1M12 diverted via the yard. Went via wired roads - no loco swap required. All 92023’s good work.