• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

BRX

Established Member
That's odd, when I travelled on the sleeper just a few weeks ago I'm sure several tables had reserved signs on them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
That's odd, when I travelled on the sleeper just a few weeks ago I'm sure several tables had reserved signs on them.

They put reserved signs out for breakfast still, but I've never seen any in the evening.

BRX

Established Member
They were out in the evening at Euston because I remember we managed to bag one of the few unreserved ones!

FtoE

They certainly used to reserve seats in the lounge car until very recently. I walk past the sleeper often getting off another train in Inverness.

Established Member
Some crews hold tables for regulars, maybe that's what you're seeing?

Haven't they stopped online preordering, I thought that this was where most of the reserved tables were coming from in the past?

6Z09

When leaving Aberdeen this evening, I noticed that the sleeper stock has 66746 in Royal Scotsman livery on one end and a 73 on the other. Was there a problem with the 73 last night?
Lazy Shunter at Aberdeen? Went up double headed ,came south topped and tailed.

Last edited:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I notice realtimetrains.co.uk shows this evening's 21:15 Euston to Inverness/Aberdeen/Fort William as still being at London Euston as of 23:05.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Is this going to impact the Lowlander as well, as that is usually hauled by the locomotive which brings the empties in for the Highlander - which is obviously trapped at the buffers until the Highlander departs?

Edited: The Highlander just got cancelled at 23.35...

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member
Is this going to impact the Lowlander as well, as that is usually hauled by the locomotive which brings the empties in for the Highlander - which is obviously trapped at the buffers until the Highlander departs?
Yes - 90044 which was the 5S95 engine and due to work 1S26 Lowlander is still trapped.
92033 being collected from Wembley to work 1S26 instead, however don't think it's even left Wembley yet, so that'll be an hour+ late leaving itself.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Yes - 90044 which was the 5S95 engine and due to work 1S26 Lowlander is still trapped.
92033 being collected from Wembley to work 1S26 instead, however don't think it's even left Wembley yet, so that'll be an hour+ late leaving itself.

Should make some of it up; last week we gained 32 minutes with a 92 up front. They can probably gain even more if they shift the Watford passengers to Euston to board there so they don't have to stop at Watford, and unless there's engineering that would prevent this, they could gain a bit by running via Weedon instead of Northampton couldn't they?

TimboM

Established Member
Should make some of it up; last week we gained 32 minutes with a 92 up front. They can probably gain even more if they shift the Watford passengers to Euston to board there so they don't have to stop at Watford, and unless there's engineering that would prevent this, they could gain a bit by running via Weedon instead of Northampton couldn't they?
There's a fair bit of slack in the timings and could miss out Watford as you say. Weedon looks to be under possession now, so no savings there.
0S25 replacement loco just leaving Wembley, so going to be well over an hour late departing. Suspect that may result in a bit of a delay into GLC and EDB, although a fair chunk should be recovered.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Might make sense to run it through to Glasgow and transfer the Edinburgh passengers like they have done a few times? Saves 14 minutes at Carstairs, not counting any gain from not having to slow down and then pull away again...

TimboM

Established Member
Might make sense to run it through to Glasgow and transfer the Edinburgh passengers like they have done a few times? Saves 14 minutes at Carstairs, not counting any gain from not having to slow down and then pull away again...
Usually only do that if very late.
There's also likely to be displaced Highlander passengers who are on balance better off being in Edinburgh than Glasgow.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Usually only do that if very late.
There's also likely to be displaced Highlander passengers who are on balance better off being in Edinburgh than Glasgow.

I was thinking if they're approaching an hour down they'll hit the rush hour through Haymarket into Waverley; platform space would be at a premium wouldn't it?

TimboM

Established Member
Interesting... the Highlander just changed from 5S00 back to 1S25 on Open Time Trains...
Think it's just showing that so the signaller knows it's the full train re-formed after all the shunting about. It's still showing caped.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Think it's just showing that so the signaller knows it's the full train re-formed after all the shunting about. It's still showing caped.
Makes sense.

I'm just waiting up to see if the Lowlander stops at Watford or not, then I'm shutting down for the night!

Edited: It did, and they lost a further 5 minutes through an extended stop!

As to my earlier comments, at most they'd gain 12 minutes by not splitting at Carstairs - it's a booked passenger stop in the timetable isn't it...?

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member
As to my earlier comments, at most they'd gain 12 minutes by not splitting at Carstairs - it's a booked passenger stop in the timetable isn't it...?
It is - and it did stop/split as you'll probably know!

trebor79

Established Member
Dumb question. If they brought another loco for the lowlander, why couldn't they have put that onto the highlander, released the ECS loco and run both trains, albeit late?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Looks to have been a spot of bother with the sleepers all round last night: I just did a double take as my London bound Pendo overtook the Up Highlander at Hemel Hempstead, running 63 minutes late with 92028 at the helm:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G61073/2019/04/17/advanced

Looks to have spent nearly an hour and a half at Edinburgh Waverley. Does anybody know what caused that? The three portions all seem to have arrived at roughly the right time.

awsnews

I see the Edinburgh to Fort William section has run, I guess it would have just been the seated element. I wonder if there will be an attempt to move the sleeper part during the day?

leightonbd

Edited: The Highlander just got cancelled at 23.35...

That’s a brute of a cancellation. I was trying to book on that very train, but it was full (the Inverness part, at least). What can CS do? Offer people seats on the Chieftain?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That’s a brute of a cancellation. I was trying to book on that very train, but it was full (the Inverness part, at least). What can CS do? Offer people seats on the Chieftain?

Isn't the norm to put them on the Lowlander for connections, assuming there is space (which at this time of year there probably is)?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

Lowlander if space available then connections from Edinburgh and Glasgow?

Looks like the stock was used as a static hotel in Euston overnight?

Established Member
The Highlander will have been rammed on the Wednesday night before Easter, don't know if there would've been much to be had on the Lowlander.

The normal procedure if it's been used as an hotel in the platform is to put people on an early service up to Glasgow and then onwards. It happened to me once way back in Scotrail days. They weren't too itchy about it being the first Glasgow train either - I think it wasn't until about 7am that I got up and wandered round. It was okay, but I wasn't up against a deadline.

The bit I don't understand here is if it was an overall ETS fault they wouldn't have been able to keep people onboard all night, moving or otherwise?