• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
It's just an issue there's been for decades with infrastructure in the UK. Charge top dog but provide rekindled scrap from the 70s. The Scotrail HST refurbishment has hardly been a roaring sucess either ......
Ah yes, because of course in contrast brand new stock has proved a strong success... ;)

BRX

Established Member
Well something needs to be done. Ok so the 92 is have finally just about settled down, but the 73 has never worked to the satisfaction of all concerned and we certainly don't need a string of thermal incidents like this
My impression has been that the 73/9s have been rather successful and perform pretty well.

najaB

Veteran Member
If they have worked that well then why do half the diagrams go thundering around with a shed on the front?
Admittedly I don't see the sleeper as often now that I'm working from home, but I can't recall the last time I saw that through Dundee.

driverd

If they have worked that well then why do half the diagrams go thundering around with a shed on the front?

Genuine question, if anyone can put me right and change my opinion then they're welcome to

Part if the issue is availability. There are only 6 73s, with, on occasion, 5 required per night. This doesn't leave a whole lot of slack for when a loco is on an exam etc.

It's also worth thinking about the spec of the locos. They're worked relatively hard, given the load they haul and the gradients they operate over.

The final point to consider is the nature of the operation. Whilst the locos sit idle during the day, certainly the Fort William loco can't access a maintenence depot, and I'm not too sure on what maintenence provision is available at Aberdeen/Inverness. In any case, it's not their home depot, so even where maintenance facilities are available, it's unlikely the locos will be able to receive the full complement of TLC.

Peter Sarf

Established Member

Genuine question, if anyone can put me right and change my opinion then they're welcome to
I seem to recall it was explained that some of the Highlander workings require double heading. As the Sleeper 73s do very little for most of the day no one wanted to spend out on plenty of them. Instead a spare 66 is used with a 73 on workings requiring more power.

Caleb2010

Surely GBRF would have factored in the maintenance requirements when tendering for the job!
If they fall behind due to poor planning the result is a shed and ed combo!

Though it’s nice to be hauled by something I’ve not bagged before I don’t really worry about what’s at the front, providing it gets me there, when it doesn’t and it’s a loco problem- it’s down to GBRF to sort replacement power!

35B

Established Member
I seem to recall it was explained that some of the Highlander workings require double heading. As the Sleeper 73s do very little for most of the day no one wanted to spend out on plenty of them. Instead a spare 66 is used with a 73 on workings requiring more power.
Surely GBRF would have factored in the maintenance requirements when tendering for the job!
If they fall behind due to poor planning the result is a shed and ed combo!

Though it’s nice to be hauled by something I’ve not bagged before I don’t really worry about what’s at the front, providing it gets me there, when it doesn’t and it’s a loco problem- it’s down to GBRF to sort replacement power!
They did factor in their requirements - but based them on being affordable as a micro-fleet. The booked utilisation is a single 73 on the Fort William and Aberdeen portions, and a pair on the Inverness; that gives 4 of 6 in the fleet required, with 2 spare - so 66% availability.

If availability falls so that's not practical to achieve, piloting with a 66 is a relatively cheap alternative that doesn't require dedicated traction to be available. That strikes me as a good, pragmatic compromise - dare I say it, but one worthy of BR.

alistairlees

Established Member
They did factor in their requirements - but based them on being affordable as a micro-fleet. The booked utilisation is a single 73 on the Fort William and Aberdeen portions, and a pair on the Inverness; that gives 4 of 6 in the fleet required, with 2 spare - so 66% availability.

If availability falls so that's not practical to achieve, piloting with a 66 is a relatively cheap alternative that doesn't require dedicated traction to be available. That strikes me as a good, pragmatic compromise - dare I say it, but one worthy of BR.
Whilst you are completely correct I doubt your reasoned logic will appease the many posters on this topic!

35B

Established Member
Whilst you are completely correct I doubt your reasoned logic will appease the many posters on this topic!
As (from others) it has appeased me in the same kind of discussion elsewhere, shall we agree "many of the posters on this topic"? ;)

williamn

I've been twice diverted to Edinburgh (instead of Glasgow) of late.
CS gave me delay repay for the first occasion (16 Aug), but not for the most recent (7 Sept) because I was 'given advance notice'. The compensation of 100% for the first journey is generous so I won't take this further, but as I did book a ticket to Glasgow, with an arrival time of 07.20, I am not sure their argument stacks up?

_toommm_

Established Member
CS gave me delay repay for the first occasion (16 Aug), but not for the most recent (7 Sept) because I was 'given advance notice'. The compensation of 100% for the first journey is generous so I won't take this further, but as I did book a ticket to Glasgow, with an arrival time of 07.20, I am not sure their argument stacks up?

If you had an itinerary showing you arriving into Glasgow at 07:20, and you arrived at least half an hour later than that, you’re entitled to Delay Repay. They’re fobbing you off by saying they told you in advance.

Berliner

If you are given advanced notice of the train alteration and still choose to travel (I assume the alternative on offer was a full refund?) then that train becomes your service. Only if that new service is then delayed would you get the compensation.

williamn

Yes looking at communication from the, the first 16 August trip was only changed on the day whereas I had 5 days notice of the second change - fair.

Berliner

Yes looking at communication from the, the first 16 August trip was only changed on the day whereas I had 5 days notice of the second change - fair.

Just for clarity, my previous post was my understanding of the situation as delay repay doesn't seem to mention anything about advance notification of changes and where you stand.

Gonzoiku

If you are given advanced notice of the train alteration and still choose to travel (I assume the alternative on offer was a full refund?) then that train becomes your service. Only if that new service is then delayed would you get the compensation.

I don't think this is an accurate reflection of Delay Repay schemes, *if* Caledonian Sleeper operates such a scheme. It seems to me that CS are due to compensate you. Best to discuss on Disputes and Prosecutions here.

GZ

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
No.

It’s the itinerary when booked & payment is taken that counts.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

No. Delay Repay is paid on the booked itinerary.

I got a stack of RTVs when that bridge north of Carlisle washed away as I had booked a few journeys ahead.

Essexman

Established Member
Does anyone know if the facilty to select berths is not working again?
I'm trying to book but it doesn't seem to be offering the option to change and I don't want an end berth.

williamn

Not as far as I’m aware no. I had a ‘next to end’ berth last time though and didn’t notice any rough riding.

Bill57p9

I had a good look at the Highlander being serviced in Inverness this morning.
12 Mk 5s, so obviously a 73/9 can provide sufficient ETH (index 70 according to the data plate) for load 12. Which surprised me a bit, as load 16 has an ETH index >100 (hence requires a 92), and when I was at school 12/16=0.75, so if load 16 has ETH index >100, load 12 has ETH index >75. Though the formation only had 1 club car.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Only a couple of weeks now until my club room experience from London to Inverness and the anticipation is starting to build. I just hope that I don't find myself turfed out onto a platform in Edinburgh or or delayed interminably in London and stuck aboard a horrible ghastly LNER azuma for the run North

6Z09

Only a couple of weeks now until my club room experience from London to Inverness and the anticipation is starting to build. I just hope that I don't find myself turfed out onto a platform in Edinburgh or or delayed interminably in London and stuck aboard a horrible ghastly LNER azuma for the run North
Inverness journeys are probably the most reliable, Aberdeen has been shocking over recent months and Fort William seated passengers even those in berths, with bikes,can always be assured of a spell on the platform at Waverley in the middle of the night as a feature of their memorable journey.
As a wee aside, Caledonian Sleeper are currently advertising for a digital marketing manager! As if they are not strangled by enough ridiculous marketing already!!

James James

The problem is that the 66s do not have Dellner couplings so cannot couple directly to the Mk5 sleeper stock. Only the 73s can do this (the 73 is needed as a coupling translator as well as an ETS generator). I don’t think that it would be possible to fit Dellners to the 66s given that they are also needed for freight workings with conventional screw couplings.
But that's precisely what they did with the 92s that are also doing freight work. That said the more fun albeit ridiculous idea would be to mount Dellners onto the freight trains a la DB/SBB's experimentation.

(It's likely to be financially irresponsible to Dellnerise the 66s seeing as GBRF have a perfectly good barrier vehicle already, but the technical side doesn't seeem like an issue.)

williamn

Just had the following message about tonight’s lowlander and am struggling to understand what it means…

Good Evening

We are very sorry to tell you that due to late notice staff sickness in these challenging times, we have had to reduce our offering in our Club Car this evening. Whilst we are not able to offer evening meals, we will be serving our Room Service drinks and snack menu for Caledonian Double and Club guests.

To book a table for the Club Car, please speak to our team when you check in who will advise of availability. We will of course continue to serve room service and there is a dedicated menu in the room.

In the morning for Caledonian Double and Club guests wishing to join us for breakfast in the Club Car, we will be serving our Breakfast Room Service Menu. Please complete the Room Service Card to indicate your preferred location for breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you on-board this evening and please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused by the reduction to our catering service.

XAM2175

Established Member
Just had the following message about tonight’s lowlander and am struggling to understand what it means…
I'm reading it as meaning that all of the "main" food options are unavailable, so passengers will only be able to order from the room service menu for both dinner and breakfast. Double and Club guests will be able to sit in the lounge as usual, but again will only be able to order from the room service menus.